Reply 1 of 33, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

iMac G3 Oct. 1999

- PowerPC 750 @ 333mhz

- 10gb HDD

- 128mb of SDRAM

- Rage 128 Mac versionhttps://www.vogons.org/posting.php?mode=reply&f=25&t=58798#

- OS X 10.1

sitting in a shelf right now with no OS currently on it,

Reply 3 of 33, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

G3 iMac running OS X with 256MB memory and its original HDD the size of which escapes me right now. Sadly the RTC battery is dead so I have to keep resetting the date every time I power it up but that's no great hardship.

Only annoyance is using it on-line. Any site that uses HTTPS causes the browser (tried IE/Opera/Safari) to either refuse to connect because it cant authenticate the certificate or just sit there doing nothing until I tell it to stop trying to load the page. Not sure why (maybe someone else can enlighten me) as I'm not really a Mac person.

Reply 5 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first Mac was an iMac G3. With Mac OS 8.x and 64MiB of RAM, I believe. :)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 33, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Several in pieces and one fully functional

harddrivespin wrote:
iMac G3 Oct. 1999 […]
Show full quote

iMac G3 Oct. 1999

- PowerPC 750 @ 333mhz

- 10gb HDD

- 128mb of SDRAM

- Rage 128 Mac versionhttps://www.vogons.org/posting.php?mode=reply&f=25&t=58798#

- OS X 10.1

sitting in a shelf right now with no OS currently on it,

Mine has similar specs, but with a 128 GB HDD, 384 MB RAM, dual boot OS 9/OS X 10.3, and 6 MB ATI Rage Pro

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 7 of 33, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never had it till someone locally was selling one with Diamontron 22" CRT that I wanted. Now I have a Power Macintosh G3 (Macintosh Server G3) for about 4 years but never powered it on 😲 It was supposed to be in a good working condition - might do a test run later this year... 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 33, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Classic. HFS. I'd like to save an image of the HDD in the machine in my previous post, preferably without having to remove the drive from the machine.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 33, by netfreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first ever computer was a Mac IIsi with 5mb RAM and 40MB HD. I later added another 40MB external drive, upgraded the internal to 200MB, got a Zip100 drive, upgraded RAM to 17mb. Bunch more since then but I don't really care for modern Macs.

I like computing hardware from the 80s and 90s.
"Paul's Old Crap" retro computing videos

Reply 12 of 33, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

What's the procedure for imaging mac drives? Is there a mac equivalent of clonezilla?

For the classic Mac OS it is called Disk Copy.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 13 of 33, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used Macs in the office during the 90's, Quadra 700's then power Mac 7100/66's. Most newspapers used them at that time. We had PowerBooks too, I forget the models now, but they were replaced every 12 months for all the in house reporters.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 14 of 33, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never had a Mac, but the elementary school i went to had iMacs loaded with Mac OS X 10.4. I'm not sure if they were iMac G5s or if they were early Intel iMacs though; I don't have many memories of that time. The only thing I remember other than OS version, is that me and some others messed around with Garageband 3.

Reply 16 of 33, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never owned many new Macs, only
1994 - Powerbook 145 or 150
2000 - Powerbook G3 Pismo 500
but didn't keep either for more than 12 months. Used plenty of Macs at high school (Classic, SE/30, LCII & LCIII), a couple at uni and at one of my jobs (an all in one unit, maybe a 5500).

Reply 18 of 33, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I grew up in a "game consoles and Macs are useless, PCs are better" household. I bought some garage sale macs when I was younger - Mac LC, Color Classic (...that I later sold for like $60 😠 ), Powerbook 150, etc. But nothing was more than just tinkering around.

When I started working in a computer store, we sold Macs, so I bought an iMac G4 for some crazy discount (~$500 in late 2004). Used it for awhile, then sold it (I remember those clear speakers it came with sounded damn good!)

Then I bought a 12" Powerbook that I absolutely loved and used until the G4 CPU in it was just useless.

Next, I bought a ~2007 era Powerbook from a friend who had just beat the snot out of it. This was in 2010 I think. New HDD, new battery, power supply cord repair, and DVD-ROM bent back into place.

In 2013 I bought my current ~2009 era MacBookPro which is starting to show its age, but I use a laptop so infrequently that it's not worth replacing.

I'm not a fan of the current Apple line-up of products. Around 2012 I was starting to really like their stuff, music in itunes, appletv2 jailbroken with xbmc and airplay, etc. Now it all just seems broken and janky (nothing "just works" anymore).

Reply 19 of 33, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still have one of them, and all the games we played as kids.

It's a Mac Plus, with 1MB of ram and a 20 MB SCSI external hard drive. I think the screen may be starting to go, so I use it sparingly. But it works GREAT.

We also had an Apple IIE that my dad upgraded. He was an electrical engineer and never left anything alone. I don't have that anymore, but I have a ton of software and books for it still. I wish I could get my hands on one but my collecting days are on hold for a while.

1 - 0JNQQPd.jpg
Filename
1 - 0JNQQPd.jpg
File size
585 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception