VOGONS

Period correct build?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Certain AT power supplies are worth repairing. There's not much point in keeping the cheapies.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 32, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Capacitors are getting dry. And Supply will run out of spec. Eg. Ripple destroying your lovly 486 Mainboard.

Example of old capacitor:

photo_2018-04-01_17-45-48.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-04-01_17-45-48.jpg
File size
69.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

another one from nicetux:

resistor.jpg
Filename
resistor.jpg
File size
140.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

when capacitors become resistors..

every old power supply should measured before use.

eevblog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edel3eduRj4

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 23 of 32, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ This guy Agilents 😉

99% of the time, any PSU failure I've had in the 90s and early 2000s on AT systems was a fuse. Once a transformer let out.

ATX though...

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 24 of 32, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

To me, period correctness only matters so far as compatibility is concerned. For example, someone on here recently had a thread where they were using an Asus P5A (Super7, 1998) with a Pentium 233MMX (1997), and Windows 3.1 (1993). As I had pointed out in that thread, a 5 year hardware and software gap in those days is quite significant, would not get the most out of the hardware (a concern when ATX Super7 boards are rare, or at least expensive), and could lead to driver troubles and other quirks.

As far as that combination goes, the Pentium MMX was targeted as a low-end processor in 1998/early-1999, so I'm sure someone would've built a budget P1 build with an ASUS P5A motherboard BITD. As far as Windows 3.1x is concerned: Sure, it may seem a little overkill to run just Windows 3.1x on a Pentium MMX machine, but for someone who wants to skip 486 hardware, a Pentium build (with or without MMX) with compatible hardware makes a fine multi-booter for DOS/WFW3.11, Windows NT 3.51/4.0, and Windows 95/98. I've been careful with picking hardware for my build by making sure I ended up with video, network, and sound cards with drivers for the designated OSes (in my case: MS-DOS 6.22 w/ WFW 3.11 and Windows NT 3.51).

fitzpatr wrote:

There is no reason other than nostalgia to artificially limit your choices. I would not use an older power supply or fan, but I would use an old Hard Drive for that wonderful whirring sound!

I agree with you there. CF cards and SSDs are great and all, but I still quite enjoy the sound of an old hard drive. You've reminded me that I have a couple systems that are in need of a fan replacement.

Reply 25 of 32, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

As far as that combination goes, the Pentium MMX was targeted as a low-end processor in 1998/early-1999, so I'm sure someone would've built a budget P1 build with an ASUS P5A motherboard BITD. As far as Windows 3.1x is concerned: Sure, it may seem a little overkill to run just Windows 3.1x on a Pentium MMX machine, but for someone who wants to skip 486 hardware, a Pentium build (with or without MMX) with compatible hardware makes a fine multi-booter for DOS/WFW3.11, Windows NT 3.51/4.0, and Windows 95/98. I've been careful with picking hardware for my build by making sure I ended up with video, network, and sound cards with drivers for the designated OSes (in my case: MS-DOS 6.22 w/ WFW 3.11 and Windows NT 3.51).

I'm all for people doing this hobby in whatever way makes sense for them! I'd argue that one could also use a K6-3+ and vary the multiplier through software to expand the effective range of speeds, but at no cost to compatibility. The board is the expensive part, anyways. It's up to the builder to research thoroughly to avoid having a build that is incapable of performing the intended tasks.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 26 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I try to stay period correct in a build, my scope is limited to the Mainboard/CPU/Graphics. The rest, I see as conveniece. Things like optical/hard drive, power supply, cooling etc are not really my interest. Strictly speaking even maxing out the RAM is often not period correct - who had 512MB RAM in 1998?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I go with the if you might have upgraded to this, which opens alot of doors for me for XP era systems, because I was a highschool kid in the begining and working fastfood until 2008, I upgraded in a way no one else would, like a Sempron 2800 AM2 paired with an 8800GS 🤣

Reply 28 of 32, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

When I try to stay period correct in a build, my scope is limited to the Mainboard/CPU/Graphics. The rest, I see as conveniece. Things like optical/hard drive, power supply, cooling etc are not really my interest. Strictly speaking even maxing out the RAM is often not period correct - who had 512MB RAM in 1998?

My 486DLC circa 1992 currently counts 32Mb RAM installed. Total overkill.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 29 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My P133 has that much. It could have had 64 but I stopped at something that was more representative of tue era. Mu DX2 has 8MB and U5SX33 has 4. Why? No good reason. You can go overboard with these convenience upgrades as you please IMO.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

My P133 has that much. It could have had 64 but I stopped at something that was more representative of tue era. Mu DX2 has 8MB and U5SX33 has 4. Why? No good reason. You can go overboard with these convenience upgrades as you please IMO.

Thats why I put 256mb of ram in my pentium 1 board, 4x64mb 72pin SIMM's

Reply 32 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think period correct build is good for those when you want to replicate a pc that you used to have. Of course for most people changing parts that don't change the experience of using the pc like power supply or cooling don't matter that much.