VOGONS

First post, by Wolven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Here's a teaser for my current build project. It looks like a mess right now as I've not gotten a case for it yet. Nor do I have a test bench, so all the parts are just floating around...

20180307_155508.jpg

Motherboard: MSI KM2M Combo-L
CPU: AMD Duron 900
RAM: 2x 512MB DDR333
GPU: Gainward Geforce4 MX-440 SE
Sound: Sound Blaster Live!

I have Windows 98 SE installed and it's working fine. I even got sound in MS-DOS mode, though I have some issues with the mouse and keyboard.
After battling with sound in DOS on a VIA KT600 based motherboard in my previous build, I must say I've very pleased with the comparability of this board. And I'm loving the red PCB. I love it so much that I chose the rather underwhelming MX-440 GPU to compliment it, just because it's red too. That and the fact it is passively cooled. (I really hate the whine of tiny fans) While being a budget CPU, I have very fond memories of the Duron 900. It was the first CPU I had which nearly hit the magic 1 Ghz mark with an overclock. I didn't manage to get it all the way to 1 Ghz, but very close. The old Duron 900 I had is long gone, but maybe I'll manage to push this one to 1 Ghz.

20180307_155422.jpg
As you can see in this picture, I have ghetto mounted a 120mm fan to the CPU cooler. I have the original 60mm fan for it, but the sound it makes... 😵 Not quiet sure how to mount the 120mm properly yet, but I hope to figure it out when I get a case.

20180307_155643.jpg
I'm running the OS off this Compact Flash card and I'm pleasantly surprised how fast the install runs and boots off the card. It's only 8GB, but it's plenty for running Windows 98. Probably for holding the games I want too, as most of them will likely be DOS games. So I'll probably ditch the HDD once I assemble the build properly.

20180307_155616.jpg
My first time owning a Sound Blaster Live! I remember drooling over these back in the day, before I went and bought the Audigy some years later, which is currently in use in my other build.

20180307_155631.jpg
The MX-440 might not be a true Geforce 4 and its performance lackluster compared to other cards from the same time, but it sure looks pretty and it's silent. As mentioned I'll be using this build mostly for DOS games, so the card is plenty powerful to do that.

1062367649.jpg
Here's the case I plan to use for the build. It's not in my possession yet, as I'm waiting for it to be shipped to me. I've never been a fan of beige cases, (sorry beige retro lovers) so I think this case will suit me and my project fine.

That's it for now. I hope you're liking the build so far. I'm having tons of fun building it. I'll post more as the build progresses and include some glamour shots of the components.

Last edited by Wolven on 2019-02-03, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Great to see another KM2M owner out there 😀

You have nearly exactly the same choice of components as I have in my build, except I have only 512MB of DDR for 98SE, a Duron 750 as well as an older MSI GeForce2 Pro.

Just a heads up with the MX 440, if it was anything like mine, anything lower than directx 7 never worked quite right on it, mainly effects not appearing as they should and crashes often. Swapping it out for the geforce2 fixed it though.

Reply 2 of 4, by Wolven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, ninkeo.

Do you also have the red KM2M? I know there's a version with green PCB too.

512 MB of memory should be plenty. I just added two sticks because I had access to it and for bragging rights. 😎 Apparently there could be issues with having 1Gb or more in Windows 98, but works just fine here. Even when the install is fresh without any updates or patches.

Have you tried overclocking your Duron CPU? I managed to push mine to 1026 Mhz, which is max of what the board can do. It runs stable so far without issues. Having that big 120mm fan might help though. I've not tried that overclock with the original cooler.

Thanks for the heads up on the MX 440. I don't have DX installed yet, but I'll probably try some games that need DX later on, so I'll keep your advice in mind. I have some issues with minor graphic glitches in games though, I might try another GPU to see if it's related to the card, or if it's the driver version. I have a Geforce3 200Ti and a Geforce4 4200Ti which I could use.

Since your build is similar to mine, could you do me a favor and test DOOM or Duke 3D in DOS mode, playing with a mouse and keyboard and see if you have the same issue as I have described in this thread.

Post some pictures and details of your build. It's always fun to see what systems others are running. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Yep, mine's the red version as well. Looks great when its full of red cards. I haven't overclocked this one though, haven't got the courage to fiddle with the FSB settings yet 😊

I just tried running Duke3D with a USB keyboard and mouse in DOS mode, and I can actually reproduce the problem you have. In my case duke started jumping repeatedly and wouldn't stop until I pressed Space again, as well as other silly things (kept walking in various directions including straight into walls). It kept happening with either the USB keyboard or the USB mouse connected, didn't matter what mouse driver I used. However once I tried it with both a PS2 keyboard and mouse (and disabling the legacy USB KB+Mouse in bios), it stopped entirely and played as it should.

Reply 4 of 4, by Wolven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I love that red. Makes me wish my Sound Blaster Live! was red too. Maybe I'll see if I can find a red soundcard some time in the future.

Thank you so much for trying out the stuck keyboard problem. And for finding a solution. Now I just need to get hold of a second PS/2 adapter. 😀

Cheers!

Wolven