VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you happen to have a master CD for the "Multi-Media" version of the PB410 or PB420 series? That was my first PC and the master CD was lost. I do have the master diskette boot disk that would then use the cd-rom to load the OS. The reason I got the Legend 760 was because it's the closest to that model I have seen for a reasonable price. Same motherboard, just didn't have the sound card or cd-rom drive.

You sure have a nice collection of Packard Bell computers! Should take a picture of them sometime. I would be interested in seeing them.
Thanks.

Reply 25 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Fantastic ! Great job ! […]
Show full quote

Fantastic !
Great job !

Comment:
You can use lubercant and Isopropyl alcohol to restore the floppy drives.

Thanks. I used lithium grease on the gears and the slide rails, and isopropyl for the heads. I haven't tested them since I try not to use floppy disks but i treated them right. They were later removed and put into antistatic bags and put into my collection storage for future use.

Reply 26 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mperu99 wrote:
Zorix wrote:

You can send a private message right here. Thanks.

I do not see a private message link or button to send you a PM

It's on the left side as a button under the avatar. It's a button that looks like a chess pawn or something like that.
Thanks.

Reply 27 of 36, by mperu99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zorix,

I am not authorized yet to do private messages... so just email me mperu99@yahoo.com

We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.

Reply 29 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I zoomed in and it says SP on it. I would look at it closer but it's all assembled on the table and id have to take a lot of it apart, including the custom modem that sits on top of it. But I can clearly see the SP at the end in the picture.

Reply 31 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't done too much with it lately. I fully upgraded the CPU cache, the video ram, and got a DX2/66 but haven't installed that one yet. I put in a CD-ROM drive and a CF adapter for the IDE hard drive and a Gotek floppy emulator. Haven't touched it in a while. It did inspire me to work on my next project, replacing the CD-ROM with an emulator, so I designed a PCB to do that and I'm working on the logic side of that now. WIll be a while before I can get anything working yet but it will go into this machine first.

Reply 32 of 36, by Monther

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have Packard Bell PB410A with BIOS saving settings issue with message real time clock failure.

Battery replaced with new one but problem not solved as settings reset every time restart system without removing power cord.
It's even not saving time, date or HDD details.

Any advise?

Reply 33 of 36, by Monther

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I just refurbished my PB410A. Had a big issue with battery.
All connectors beside 74F151A IC was damaged and already recovered them.
It's working again!
I have some IC for cash upgrade, but not sure what jumpers for 512KB must configure. Share your configurations if possible.
Also looking for master CD for same model, and how to boot from cdrom (cdrom rom connected on the same IDE with the HDD).

Reply 34 of 36, by stuartmcivor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zorix wrote on 2018-03-20, 12:41:

Thanks! Not the end for this machine yet. I have a CF to IDE adapter for the hard drive, an Aztech sound card that would have been installed with it around that time, a 32mb SIMM, 512k cache sram, 256kx16 video zip ram upgrade, and a CPU upgrade of either a DX2/66 or one of those Kingston 133mhz upgrades...

Sorry to bring up and old post but I don't have the ability to send private messages as of yet or I would have contacted the OP directly.

I am looking for more information as to how the 256kx16 video zip ram upgrade went. I have a PB410 motherboard and was considering doing this. My goal to be able to use 256 colors at 1024x768 resolution (Ht216 chipset). Can you share your experience as to how it went, where you got the part and what differences it made after? I would greatly appreciate it.

Zorix wrote on 2018-10-29, 16:52:

Do you happen to have a master CD for the "Multi-Media" version of the PB410 or PB420 series? ....

Also, if after 4 years you haven't found a copy but would still like one I have this.

mwm7mI8.jpeg

NF9kkqg.jpeg

Reply 35 of 36, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did eventually upgrade the video memory, but I didn't do a before/after comparison. It's been a while since I have worked on this machine though, but I had purchased the zip ram on eBay in a tube back then. Other than better video modes, I don't think the ram improves performance though. Since it's internally VLB, it's going to be a better video option than an ISA card. I think the resolution and color depth you are looking for would probably work.

Thanks for the offer for the master cd/diskettes. I did find a copy of the original master CD on archive.org, and a working master diskette on another site that had archived them. I just had to go through different format codes before I found the one that worked. I haven't actually tried it on the physical machine, but since it's an emulated system in 86Box I tried it there. For some reason it asked for a password though, so some reverse engineering of the code was needed to determine the password for each format code.

Also, didn't see Monther's earlier questions, so I will put what I know here.

You will need to modify the master diskette to load an IDE driver instead of the included Panasonic port driver to make it work.
Master CD: https://archive.org/details/pb-cd-170131
Master Diskette: https://ryan.thoryk.com/pb-restore/ (I used 141233)

Jumper configuration options I used here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/P/P … REVISION-B.html
But I don't think I set anything for the video ram.

Hope this helps.

Reply 36 of 36, by stuartmcivor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for that information.

From what I've read the upgrade should be 256KBx16 70ns or 80ns DRAM ZIP. A quick look on eBay shows some is still available, but in lots of 10. I'm not expecting a performance improvement, just the higher video resolution. MS word causes a general page fault when not running 256 colors and I want the 1024x768 resolution.

No password when I used the restore disc. There was a prompt for a numerical code (55505 from memory) but I assumed this was so the software would know what configuration to restore. I was able to find it in the paper work that came with the computer. Lucky for me all the OEM documentation, manuals and software came with the computer. Even the original box.