VOGONS

First post, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Components:
Mobo: LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev 2.0 with original bios
CPU: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz
RAM: 32MB SIMM RAM (planning to upgrade to 128MB)
Video Card: Rendition Verite 2200
PSU: EVGA 450 B3 Modular Power Supply
Network Card: TP-LINK PCI Network Card (RTL8139D chipset)
HDD: SD card to IDE adapter
CD-Drive: BenQ CD,DVD Drive
Floppy Drive: Generic Floppy Drive
Mouse: Genius NetScroll+ Serial Mouse
Keyboard 6Pin DIN to PS/2, PS/2 to USB and then one random keyboard.
Homebrewed cable from Molex to Pentium CPU cooler as i don't have original one.

Old HW:
HDD: Western Digital 2GB IDE
USB PCI Card: Generic USB 2.0 NEC USB PCI Card
Video Card: Ali 3147V(even though it says S3 Trio 64V+ right under chip)
PSU: Allied 350W ATX PSU
HDD: ExcelStor Technology J880 80GB IDE

Tested operating systems:
-Windows 3.1 - tested right after first build - March 2018
-Windows 95 - has some drivers + needs drivers for video, ethernet and chipset
-Windows 98 SE - has some drivers + needs drivers for video and ethernet
-Windows ME - has drivers + needs driver only for video card
-Windows 2000 - with SP4, has some drivers + needs driver only for video card and i think i found it here on vogonsdrivers
-Windows XP - MicroXP, has some drivers + needs driver only for video card and i think i found it here on vogonsdrivers, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYidBvx_oY video with it running Winamp and .mod file but didn't have the video driver for it
Planning to test:
-Windows NT 3.51 - i hope i will find all appropriate drivers for it
-Windows NT 4 - i hope i will find all appropriate drivers for it

Filename
5itx1.pdf
File size
1000 KiB
Downloads
167 downloads
File comment
Motherboard manual
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Click on photos to open album
WNJuG0zm.jpg
r4RNguIm.jpg
X0xRzGOm.jpg
HJHxdy8m.jpg

Last edited by Morc on 2018-09-14, 21:10. Edited 15 times in total.

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200

Reply 1 of 18, by McKie1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great to see younger people interested in the old school things 😀

With the pci slots, have you had a look at the bios. Specifically if the pci slots are being set by the bios for their irq’s. Just my two cents.

Good luck with the build.

Reply 2 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
McKie1 wrote:

With the pci slots, have you had a look at the bios. Specifically if the pci slots are being set by the bios for their irq’s. Just my two cents.

McKie1: Thanks for the fix. I already tried that but it stil looks like that nothing fixes.

Last edited by Morc on 2018-04-02, 19:41. Edited 2 times in total.

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200

Reply 3 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Morc wrote:
McKie1: Thanks for the fix. I already tried that but it stil looks like that nothing fixes. […]
Show full quote
McKie1 wrote:

McKie1: Thanks for the fix. I already tried that but it stil looks like that nothing fixes.

+ Here are those photos:

-snip-
looks like that imgur has issues

It's possible to upload pics directly to Vogons forum. Btw, was your case really originally containing a PIII? It does look like a very recent AT case and it looks pretty good.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Morc wrote:
McKie1: Thanks for the fix. I already tried that but it stil looks like that nothing fixes. […]
Show full quote
McKie1 wrote:

+ Here are those photos:

-snip-
looks like that imgur has issues

It's possible to upload pics directly to Vogons forum. Btw, was your case really originally containing a PIII? It does look like a very recent AT case and it looks pretty good.

I did some calculations(thanks to sticker from computer store on back of case) and got that the case is something from 1997 - 2000(my uncle was working in that computer store). Motherboard was out last time so i don't know if it had P III originally or the P I and someone sticked the P III sticker on it.

+ i edited .pdf manual from sister board of the 5I-TX1(as nothing's on the internet and i don't have any manuals either) and made something like this: https://mega.nz/#!ZNNxnD7a!KwRsl1MCMHbpW4LNWS … lEaUoNWmVRKhYlU
it has +- all documentation about jumpers and undocumented things on board(but still thinking about the JP18..) + thanks to the documentation i can now use USB from chipset rather than the USB PCI card

Reply 5 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some updates. I've found that there aren't any IRQ errors on the stock bios(looks like the very first BIOS for that board) than on the patched(i had it to have ability to use up to 120GB drive).
After switching to the old bios, now everything gets their IRQ numbers.

And second thing: I am thinking about buying Compaq PremierSound(Soundblaster AudioPCI) card from my friend. Is it worth it, or will it work in Windows95/98??.
Here are even photos of it if someone wants(they're clickable).
jVObrDJm.jpg
k9827lem.jpg

Reply 6 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'll work fine in WIn9x, but it's not particularly rare, special, or good. Feel free to buy it from your buddy, but don't spend very much for it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

It'll work fine in WIn9x, but it's not particularly rare, special, or good. Feel free to buy it from your buddy, but don't spend very much for it.

Thanks! I bought it from him for 5€ incl. shipping.

+ i was finding old photos and found some with me and my dad looking in +- the same build(note. this 2018 rebuild was built before seeing the photos.)
Mobo, HDD(the 2GB one from WD), RAM(i think), CPU, Case, Floppy Drive and CD ROM(hard to say) are same like in this rebuild.
Two things were other(Graphics and PSU). But after looking and inspecting photos i found that the computer had some kind of sound card(due to bad photos i don't know) and other graphics card. I found the same graphics card that was there before, connected it in and it worked. It was a Rendition Verite 2200 PCI. Found drivers here on vogonsdrivers.com installed them and got better resolution + color depth than on the Ali 3147V. But sadly i was unable to find the sound card that was on it.

Reply 8 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome 😀
If you share the photo here someone may recognise that soundcard for you if you are trying to get it back to original.
otherwise your AudioPCI is a pretty good match for a Pentium 133 unless going with an ISA card, its really not fast enough to benefit from a Live!

Whats your main reason for building this PC? you more interested in playing games or with old hardware?

Reply 9 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Welcome :) If you share the photo here someone may recognise that soundcard for you if you are trying to get it back to original […]
Show full quote

Welcome 😀
If you share the photo here someone may recognise that soundcard for you if you are trying to get it back to original.
otherwise your AudioPCI is a pretty good match for a Pentium 133 unless going with an ISA card, its really not fast enough to benefit from a Live!

Whats your main reason for building this PC? you more interested in playing games or with old hardware?

chinny22: Thanks. So you are asking why? I don't really know. I had some of the parts laying in my room catching dust so i had to put it in case. And for the second question. I am more interested in the old hardware instead of playing games(maybe sometimes).

+ the sound card i was talking about(it was first looking like a Sound Blaster 16), I found the sound card in my pictures and it is a Crystal CX4235 ISA Sound Card but i also bought the AudioPCI from my friend yesterday.

this was written and sent from Pentium computer 😀

Reply 10 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My journey with Pentium computer continues and i made some changes. I bought SD card to IDE adapter which works fine. Then i bought new shiny EVGA power supply for it. I chosen EVGA 450 B3. I know, it is a bit overkill but it was my first modular power supply i have at home. I also fully rebuilt it.
Journey continues and another problem arrived. One problem i seem to have now is that it works just fine on Windows 98 with all drivers and no problems but sometimes it just freezes out of nowhere. I caught it freezing when scrolling with mouse which is a bit awkward.. It was not doing it before but last time i played with it was around June.. I don't think that the new EVGA PSU is doing some problems there but that's why i ask you.

Edit: and i also ask for some help about CPU fan. I don't think that it was originally connected with molex cable so it needs to be somewhere on board?

Reply 11 of 18, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think that the new EVGA PSU is doing some problems there but that's why i ask you.

I don't really know but maybe your computer needs the -5V rail which the EVGA PSU lacks?

Reply 12 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think that -5V rail is doing some weird things because the PSU i was using before hasn't got -5V rail either and it was not doing any problems before.
Maybe only Windows 98 freezes on SD Card to IDE adapter..

Reply 13 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:
So I was doing some research and found out that the SD adapter is working a bit weird and it is causing those freezes.
Switching to mechanical WD drive that I was using before fixed the issue. But other problem showed. I have a Lexmark 1000 Color JetPrinter and for some reason, my build does not want to even turn on when it is plugged in. If I disconnect the parallel cable, I turn the computer on and I connect it back then it works just fine and also prints.

The behavior with connected printer and turning computer on is totally weird as it looks like there is still some voltage in PSU and board, turning it on turns fan but looks like it has low voltages because LEDs on PCI diagnostic card starts to lit up but then it discharges and does not want to turn on until I disconnect parallel cable from printer to pc, I power cycle it with turning off the PSU, pressing power button waiting until it discharges caps totally and I turn on the PSU switch at back.

And now I will do some more research.

Reply 14 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Components: Mobo: LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev 2.0 with original bios CPU: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz RAM: 32MB SIMM RAM (planning to upgrade […]
Show full quote

Components:
Mobo: LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev 2.0 with original bios
CPU: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz
RAM: 32MB SIMM RAM (planning to upgrade to 128MB)
Video Card: Rendition Verite 2200
PSU: EVGA 450 B3 Modular Power Supply
Network Card: TP-LINK PCI Network Card (RTL8139D chipset)
HDD: SD card to IDE adapter
CD-Drive: BenQ CD,DVD Drive
Floppy Drive: Generic Floppy Drive
Mouse: Genius NetScroll+ Serial Mouse
Keyboard 6Pin DIN to PS/2, PS/2 to USB and then one random keyboard.
Homebrewed cable from Molex to Pentium CPU cooler as i don't have original one.

Old HW:
HDD: Western Digital 2GB IDE
USB PCI Card: Generic USB 2.0 NEC USB PCI Card
Video Card: Ali 3147V(even though it says S3 Trio 64V+ right under chip)
PSU: Allied 350W ATX PSU
HDD: ExcelStor Technology J880 80GB IDE

Tested operating systems:
-Windows 3.1 - tested right after first build - March 2018
-Windows 95 - has some drivers + needs drivers for video, ethernet and chipset
-Windows 98 SE - has some drivers + needs drivers for video and ethernet
-Windows ME - has drivers + needs driver only for video card
-Windows 2000 - with SP4, has some drivers + needs driver only for video card and i think i found it here on vogonsdrivers
-Windows XP - MicroXP, has some drivers + needs driver only for video card and i think i found it here on vogonsdrivers, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYidBvx_oY video with it running Winamp and .mod file but didn't have the video driver for it
Planning to test:
-Windows NT 3.51 - i hope i will find all appropriate drivers for it
-Windows NT 4 - i hope i will find all appropriate drivers for it

Hardware that works vanilla with all those Operating systems.
1) Sound Blaster Vibra 16 or AWE64 ISA ( Just add the compatible Sound Blaster 16 driver in Control Panel )
2) Network Card ( 3com 3c509 ) ISA or PCI
3) S3 Trio 64 Should work Vanilla.

Reply 15 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I must say, it was a really fast death...
So I was using my Pentium machine from time to time, it was everytime working perfectly, but today I needed to borrow the power supply from it for a longer time with testing my other machine. I took my AMD Sempron XP machine which was totally fine and working without any problems, I even tested it before removing the psu from it. I removed it and put it into my Pentium machine. Everything seemed normal until I flicked the switch on the back, that same power supply that was in the AMD machine before, started making weird noises and was looking like it was powered on. It also smelled horribly but I haven't heard any capacitor blowing noises, just that electronic weird smell. So I got really scared and switched it off. And then I wanted to try if my Pentium machine was still working, so i took the modular EVGA PSU and tried.. On the "bare metal" style without any PCI and ISA cards, it wasn't even POSTing, the diagnostic card had +5, +12 and -12, Clock and Reset LEDs shining. But no +3.3V and no BIOS codes. I also tried EVGA PSU with that diagnostic card on my other socket 7 board, +5, +12, -12, +3.3, Clock, IRDA and frame LEDs were shining as they had without the reset LED and with BIOS codes blinking as it was supposed, so the EVGA PSU and the diagnostic card is surely not the problem I think.
So it looks like that working other PSU from the AMD machine broke my Lucky Star board. And I also tried CPU from this machine in my other S7 board and it was working just fine. I was looking on the board for any caps or resistors blown but nothing. Also, could that mean BIOS or something related got fried? So I think this is the end of this machine for now which is a bit sad because i swapped some of the HW last year...

Reply 16 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, it looks like it will not be that bad.
The thing is, it's July 2020, that messy virus thing that has been out is breaking all our plans. But it actually has one great side effect. People have(or more likely, had) more time.
So me also as a small TV material collector(intros, idents) got really surprised as new and new videos with intros, idents and jingles appear on YouTube since the outbreak of coronavirus.
But the "more time" thing also applies to people being home and selling not needed stuff.
It's because I saw that people are selling even more Commodore 64s(i saw a bunch of 64Cs and one breadbin 64) and Amigas(some A500s for 120, 200€) on Bazoš than before. Let's call Bazoš as the Slovak version of Craigslist. Actually, they sell them now. Because before it was a bit,.. empty there.
So i saw people selling also socket 3, socket 5, socket 7 boards. And I've come across one listing that was selling those boards and when looking through pictures I saw it. 5I-TX1 was there on one of them. I didn't actually send messages to anyone selling boards before because I was thinking that I wouldn't find it anymore anywhere. But some luck shined light on me and I saw it.
The listing says that every board on the listing there is working, so i sent a message to the seller and I'll see if i will be able to buy it. He also has a 486 board with VLB if i'm not mistaken and some slot 1 and socket 370 boards.

EDIT: and also it looks totally the same, with the same revision number, just except cache chips having a different picture on them

Reply 18 of 18, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So quick update, since the guy that was selling the boards said that he doesn't have it anymore... Ebay to the rescue!!
I found that one guy from Russia sells it with 200MHz Pentium MMX so i might buy it from him..
(and i also found my other board that i was trying to find for ages, P5B Premium so i'll be buying also that one)

(update 28.8.2020: The board is in Slovakia! So just a few days and it should be here hopefully....)