VOGONS

First post, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently put together this build from a bunch of parts I've picked up over the last few years.

Cya1UFvl.jpg
(Sorry, no inside picture... can't see anything with all the ribbon cables)

AT desktop case - This came from a 386SX-16 system I bought in a lot. The board was completely dead due to battery leakage so I salvaged the case and power supply, and I have the cards/drives that were in it sitting around for an older build (MFM controller and the likes). The case is branded "US Micro Computers" but the model number on the back of the case (CB-386S-16, FCC ID: E8HCH-385S) points to this originally being manufactured by Chicony. I found a mention of this system in an issue of PC Magazine from 1991, where it was called the "Treasure Chest 386SX/16". Overall though it's still a bit of a mystery. So it's kinda a few years too old for the build, but I really like the look of the case. Plus, with so few AT cases around, beggars can't be choosers.
"Green 486 Motherboard" - Not exactly sure what this board is, but it was new-old-stock (got it for a very nice deal considering that!) and came with a manual that only described it as such. No sign of a company that manufactured it or anything and I didn't even see a part number on the board itself that could be used to identify. Board has 4xISA and 3xVLB slots, both 72-pin and 30-pin SIMM slots, and a UMC chipset. For a VLB board, it is an extremely late one with many chips on the board having manufacturing dates around the middle of 1997. On the plus side this means it has a wide array of CPU support and bus options. On the minus side it has the AMI WinBIOS, which is not as flexible as would be preferred, though it does support LBA drives up to ~8GB.
Enhanced Am486DX4-120 - It's not the well known Am5x86-133, but the 40mhz bus gives it a boost to keep up. 256k of cache is installed to cache the full amount of RAM in write-back mode.
32 MB 72-pin FPM RAM - I put is as much as I could while keeping everything cached.
QDI QD6580 VLB I/O Controller - Actually the only VLB controller I have on hand. Not really sure of its pros and cons compared to others... but it works.
Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB - Again... the only VLB video card I have. It is Cirrus Logic GD5426 based with 1MB onboard. I hope to upgrade this in the future for a slight performance improvement.
Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 - A very nice Sound Blaster Pro 2 clone I have had since childhood. It was originally in a Packard Bell and called a Voyetra Sound144AM but is just the Aztech card rebranded. It also has a modem on the same board. I haven't yet figured out if I can disable it completely and free up an IRQ.
Linksys Ether16 - ISA Ethernet card. I haven't been able to get it to work, so I might remove it or try another card. It really wants IRQ 3 but that is being used by COM2 and the Aztech modem.
3.5" 1.44 MB & 5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drives - Don't remember the brands on these, but I like having one of each type even if the 5.25 isn't going to get much use.
TEAC CD-W512EB 32x CD-ROM Drive - It's actually an RW drive but the other drive I had in here decided it was going to constantly eject itself so I had to go with this. A surprising number of my IDE CD drives have been dying in the past year or so.
CF to IDE adapter w/ slot bracket - Decided to go the CF route for the first time. I have a big pile of CF cards that I can use, and I plan to run different OSes on each one. I currently have set up a Transcend 133x 4GB card running DOS and a WD SiliconDrive 2GB running Windows for Workgroups 3.11. These are especially useful given that the Ethernet is not working so I can't use FTP as I usually do.
Gravis Gamepad Pro - I'm not much of a joystick guy so gamepad it is! Although I'm not sure why these Gravis ones have such a good reputation. The d-pad is horrible and always seems to hit diagonals when I don't intend to. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything better so this will have to do.

Overall it is handling games satisfactorily. I don't think it's much of a speed demon but it feels nice and reminds me of the nights I spent on the old DX2/66 as a kid. Some benchmarks...

3DBench: 62.5
PCPBench: 14.5
Speedsys: CPU 42.17, Disk 3979.28 (Messed up due to CF I suppose, read speeds were really around 1600 KB/s)
Doom: 2134 gametics in 2205 realtics (33.8 FPS)
Quake (just for laughs): 10.4 fps

Load times seem a bit slow due to the CF card and it has resulted in a few corner cases - for instance Duke 3D is completely unplayable because the game stutters every time a new sound effect is loaded. (Though the game is probably better suited for a Pentium anyway, so I'll just skip it on here). Overall though a successful build.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice build you built, looks good! 😀 I also kinda like the WinBIOS, by the way.
It reminds me of Windows 3.x which I also like.
If memory serves, I've still got an 5.25" floppy named "Green 486", too.

About the stuttering..
From time to time I experienced it when running Windows 9x.
Maybe it also was related to DMA. Speaking of DMA, not all CF to IDE adapters
do have connected the data lines which are required for DMA.

I'm checking my flash cards often using HD Tune and an USB 3 card reader.
That way, I can see if the card has any "breakdowns" during operation.
It also comes in handy for a "surface" test and for figuring out access time.

MrKsoft wrote:

Linksys Ether16 - ISA Ethernet card. I haven't been able to get it to work, so I might remove it or try another card.
It really wants IRQ 3 but that is being used by COM2 and the Aztech modem.

Not sure if you have already tried this, but I recommend to run the Linksys diagnostics software for your card.
More than often, setting those jumpers alone isn't enought. NICs often store settings in an tiny EEPROM.
These can even override manual confiurations done via jumpers.

MrKsoft wrote:
Gravis Gamepad Pro - I'm not much of a joystick guy so gamepad it is! Although I'm not sure why these Gravis ones have such a go […]
Show full quote

Gravis Gamepad Pro - I'm not much of a joystick guy so gamepad it is!
Although I'm not sure why these Gravis ones have such a good reputation.
The d-pad is horrible and always seems to hit diagonals when I don't intend to.
Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything better so this will have to do

Not sure, either. I'm only an owner of a "normal" Gravis gamepad.
Back in the day I used one of these gray IBM-style joysticks on my 286.
They were nice for playing flight simulators and playing with GW-BASIC.

Later, I got a Gravis pad and was happy. It was much closer to what I was used
to when playing games on my (Super) NES. Plus, these extra buttons worked in
Commander Keen IV. 😁

Attachments

• hdtune255.jpg
    Filename
    hdtune255.jpg
    File size
    39.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • card3.jpg
    Filename
    card3.jpg
    File size
    21.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm... I suppose the stuttering could be DMA related. The QD6580 only supports up to PIO4. I also discovered that I was only getting PIO2 out of it, and needed a driver for the controller to get anything fast going. I found the DOS driver and after installing it PIO4 is working and my read speeds have been pushed up to about 3600KB/s. Big improvement! But... the stuttering in Duke3D is still present. Not noticing anything in any other games. I'd blame the lack of DMA, but I actually tried this game some time ago on a DX2/66 build using this exact same card, but with an HDD, and didn't have any problems (game was a bit slow in general, but that's to be expected!). Maybe it's just how the CF card and non-DMA modes interact.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, did you try lower PIOs, as well ?
As far as old rumours go, PIO4 was sometimes considered to be buggy/unstable.

Perhaps it's just an urban legend or due to a bug in early chipsets, dunno.
If you can, also make sure you try to enabled/disable "block mode", "32-Bit transfer", etc.

I'm speaking under correction, but maybe those just overstress the flash card.
Maybe behavior becomes smoother if the card get's more spared.

There's another idea, but it is a wild guess: Alignment.
Just like SSDs, CF and SD cards internally use blocks that are a multiple of 512.
SSDs use 4KiB sectors. In older compact flash media, 512 Byte sectors or 2KiB sectors were used (I believe).

If you do correct the alignment, maybe performance increases.
Okay, normally, this is only relevant for writing (read-modify-write)..
But maybe the card has no read buffer(s) and that causes similar issues ? Not sure.

You can check and correct alignment with an older version of GParted (say 0.8.1).
Re: WinME created 16GB partition during install on 80GB drive

Anyway, aligning it to the MiB boundaries shouldn't hurt. It's wise to make a backup first, though.
With Win32DiskImager, you can make an 1:1 image of your card and write it back in seconds, if necessary.
- The operating system of the Raspberry Pi, Raspbian, is also distributed as such an image, by the way, so it should be safe.

Also, once the alignment is corrected, you'd have to repair the master boot sector (sys c: or fdisk /mbr) from a DOS floppy.

PS: Alternatively, there's SD Formatter. It is mainly intended for SD/SDHC/SDCX cards, to create an ideal formatting.
I don't know how much they have in common with CF cards, but maybe SD Formatter also creates a FAT (FAT32) that's ideal for them.
Of course that's of little use with DOS 6.22 (FAT16). But maybe it's useful for running DOS 7.1 (FAT32) on it (as a super floppy, no partition).

Edit: Sorry for the long post. I feel sleepy now, time to got to bed.. 😊
Edit: SD Formatter 5.0 is out. Seems crippled to me. Gone are "format size adjustment", "format: full (erase)", etc.
Version 4 seems still to be available here.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//