VOGONS

First post, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was an unusual system to obtain. What appeared to be a IBM-AT in a tower enclosure turned out to be a heavily upgraded Socket 7 system. System was used in an auto restoration shop. Once cleaned up it now seems to work fine.

Will use the tower enclosure with a genuine AT system.

PCChips M525/ESS Audiodrive 1868F/Trident TWN7389 PCI

Dual Boot OS/2 Warp 4/Windows 95.

IMG_1970s.jpg
Filename
IMG_1970s.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_2027s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2027s.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2046s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2046s.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2049s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2049s.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ +1

And for OS/2 Warp 4, too. ^_^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 11, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nothing special about the sound/video hardware, but I do like the ES1868 as a DOS soundcard.

It was apparent the original used had user OS/2 as their primary OS. After working with it for a short time, I lament not using it more at the time it was released.

IMG_2028s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2028s.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2029s.jpg
Filename
IMG_2029s.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet you it started as an IBM AT and instead of buying an entire computer a shop just gutted the old AT tower and installed the socket 7 as an upgrade

Reply 5 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like it 😀
Also I had witnessed back in the day a local computer shop doing exactly what candle_86 describes: a p75 setup inside a XT case - I still remember the comments they made during assembly saying that this was theft-proof since no one would steal a XT at that point of time 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I like it 😀
Also I had witnessed back in the day a local computer shop doing exactly what candle_86 describes: a p75 setup inside a XT case - I still remember the comments they made during assembly saying that this was theft-proof since no one would steal a XT at that point of time 🤣

I saw it with an old system as well, can't remember the brand anymore but was advertised as 486SX-25, upon opening it instead was found an ASUS P5A and a K6-2 450 with 256mb of ram. Sadly I tossed it way back in the day, i think 2003/2004

Reply 7 of 11, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if this is thing with auto shops? When cleaning out an auto shop I found a flip top baby AT desktop case that other than the presence of a CDROM and 3.5" floppy drive I would have expected it to be an XT or 286 system. It turned out to be a Pentium 75 with 32MB ram and a 1GB HDD running Windows 98. There was no soundcard installed, I guess the CDROM drive was purely for parts catalogs supplied on CDs. I suspect the owner had the case since new when it was originally an XT or 286 system as buried in the office I also found a couple of 5.25" floppy drives and a few boxes of floppies. Clearing another part of the building I found the original box for the 14" VGA monitor he was using which probably was from a previous upgrade to a 386 - found the box for the motherboard, but no other parts. Same shop also had some kind of alignment machine that was controlled by a BBC master computer - found the manuals, floppies and floppy drive. Unfortunately the system was nowhere to be found.

Reply 8 of 11, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont remember the full specs, but our first family PC had 32 megs of ram, 200MB hard drive, ran Windows 3.11 and judging by how some games ran too fast, a 486 CPU. It was inside a case that looked nearly identical to an IBM PC AT with a big red flip-switch on the side.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 9 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything that comes with OS/2 installed is golden in my book.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 11, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a K6-2+ 533 @ 400 running in a case like this (256 RAM).
I don't want to OC my S7 motherboard.
At least my board supports 2.0 V

Formulator's motherboard has a flat area populated with L2 and northbridge. RAM slots and CPU socket are even well placed for an AT case like this.
The problem with AT cases is that there is an internal full size bay for HDD so there is even no space for CPU coolers in that corner.

If you know AT SS7 boards having a flat area in that corner, please let me know.