VOGONS

First post, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not really sure how this project came about. I kind of stumbled across retro hardware videos (LGR, Philscomputerlab, and others) while trawling YouTube a few months back and at some point I realized that a) this stuff is pretty cool and b) I still have a few bits left. I haven't done hardware in a long time and I think this is a cool project for both nostalgia and curiosity. I'd like to try , because I don't remember any of it very well.

I think I'm pretty young for this forum. The computer I'm (re)building is a Pentium 133, Socket 7 system. I still have the original CPU, motherboard, RAM, video card, sound card, and a few miscellaneous bits. The CPU still works despite being knocked around quite a bit and displayed on a wall for many years. The motherboard is in terrible physical condition and at one point was used in a middle-school art project. The RAM and video card seem to be okay, but the sound card is missing bits. I've picked up some new and spare pieces locally and online.

The final system is not going to be exactly the same as what I had. I've set some hard limits for myself: it must be Socket 7 (not Super Socket 7), must use and Intel processor, and must use the original motherboard if at all possible. However, there are some upgrades I want to try. I've already ordered a Voodoo accelerator to go with the original 2D-only Mach64, and I have a Pentium MMX 233 to play with. I'm also using a Kingspec disk on module (DOM) and a modern power supply, because I only have bad memories of those parts.

I'm going to be doing a YouTube series with accompanying writeups on my website. I consider those a significant part of the project and not just an afterthought; documenting my experiences and sharing them is going to be a big part of this.

I posted the first video and writeup a few days ago, which talks about the project in general terms and lists out the parts I'm planning on using.

I've actually made some progress since then. My power supply adapter showed up, along with my spare/substitute motherboard and a few other bits. I was able to test both motherboards and they seem to work, though not entirely without issues. My original motherboard has a dead Dallas RTC and doesn't seem to want to boot from floppy (though my floppy drive might be dead). It also doesn't like the 233MMX much, but that's hardly surprising. My substitute board fared better despite being terribly packed for its trip halfway across the world.

I also had to hack up my DOM because they'd wired the key pin to +5V which resulted in a dead short with my motherboard. Fortunately, my absurdly overkill power supply shut down safely instead of blowing traces off the board.

In any case... well, actually I'm waiting for a case. When I have time I'll try to hack up the Dallas module and see if I can get it to at least boot DOS.

Attachments

• pc1_l.jpg
    Filename
    pc1_l.jpg
    File size
    124.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • pc0_l.jpg
    Filename
    pc0_l.jpg
    File size
    121.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 6, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Things have actually been moving much faster and somewhat smoother than anticipated.

I have another video and writeup, covering in depth the motherboard testing mentioned above.

But that's actually not where I'm at. I'm one step ahead already. I actually already have a case. Well... a whole computer, in fact. I went to Freegeek looking for an AT case, they had an AT computer, it was $20 and... interesting to drag home through the transit system. It was not in great shape, with no screws for the cover, the drive cage fallen on the modem, and by the time I got it home, soaking wet. I cleaned it up a little, pulled out the non-essential pieces, and fired it up.

I was bracing for smoke and flames, but to my complete and utter surprise, it POSTed just fine! There was no hard drive, but I plugged in my Gotek (not with it running!), booted DOS, and ran some tools to figure out what exactly it was. I really wanted to try DOOM, but as far as I can tell DOOM won't run off a floppy and I don't have a hard drive for it. It's quite an interesting system, actually, with a DX4 Overdrive in an early OPTi 486 board. It's also clearly been upgraded over the years, with a 1995 CD-ROM drive and Sound Blaster 16 Vibra.

I almost feel bad ripping it to pieces, but there are two showstopping issues that mean I can't leave it. The first is the finicky power switch, which has to be in just the right spot for the computer to start up and makes ominous arcs and sparks if it's not. I'm hoping one side of it is good, because that's all I need for an ATX supply, but it's definitely not okay for an AT one. The other issue is the NiCd motherboard battery, which is, of course, leaking. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have caused any serious damage, but I had to pull the system apart so I can replace it.

Attachments

• 486_1.jpg
    Filename
    486_1.jpg
    File size
    107.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486_2.jpg
    Filename
    486_2.jpg
    File size
    77.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 486_3.jpg
    Filename
    486_3.jpg
    File size
    151.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 6, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally (mostly) caught up, with a video and writeup for the above.

My horrible jury rigged (I didn't have a battery holder so I used a tealight instead) Dallas RTC seems to work and the system is able to boot from floppy. It doesn't seem to like the floppy I wanted to use, but my other one works fine as does my Gotek emulator. Weird, but okay.

I've hit a bit of a snag with the Pentium MMX 233, though. My motherboard doesn't support any explicit multiplier settings over 3.0x, but the 233MMX is supposed to interpret 1.5x as 3.5x. Setting 3.5x gives me 133MHz of actual speed for a confounding 2x multiplier.

After quite a bit of confused Googling, I came across this page. Apparently, some motherboards do not assert the BF0 line properly, leaving it floating instead of pulling it up (about 60% sure it's supposed to be up). And when the lines are left floating, the 233MMX uses its default multiplier of 2x.

Drat.

I'm tempted to bodge my own pullup resistors, but with zero documentation on my motherboard or this phenomenon I'm hesitant to try. The other option would be to look for an adapter with its own multiplier settings, or a Pentium MMX Overdrive 200. Either of those would be very cool, but they're quite rare and expensive. I think for now I'll stick with the Pentium 133.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't looked at the vid's or writeup's yet but like where this is going.
You got lucky with a 486 for $20 as well! I wouldn't feel sorry about parting it out. You can always keep an eye out for another case and re unite the 486 later down the track.

I'd go with the original CPU and motherboard, later if you want you can try upgrading the CPU with your spare board. My thinking is because I also still have my first PC a 486 Dx2/66 and while I could upgrade the CPU and the SB16, I cant bring myself to do it. THAT CPU and THAT soundcard are all part of the nostalgia now.
I ended up getting a second 486 that I've upgraded, but I still use the DX2/66 more.

Reply 5 of 6, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I assembled the system! Well, actually I assembled it a few days ago, but it took me this long to get everything together. Here's the video and the writeup.

build1.jpg
Filename
build1.jpg
File size
59.67 KiB
Views
File license

This was probably the worst build I've ever done, yet at the same time the best build I've ever done. Building PCs today is definitely easier than it was back then. There are so many builder-friendly features now that I guess just never occurred to anyone back then. I fought with everything from unkeyed connectors to uncooperative fan mounts, to an impossible drive cage, to a total inability to manage cables. I remember some of this, but experiencing it again is something else entirely. At the same time, it was a fun build because of how challenging and simply different it was, and I'm really quite happy with the end result.

I've been playing with the system quite a bit and have already tried some games, but a proper report on those will have to wait for another day.

chinny22 wrote:
Haven't looked at the vid's or writeup's yet but like where this is going. You got lucky with a 486 for $20 as well! I wouldn't […]
Show full quote

Haven't looked at the vid's or writeup's yet but like where this is going.
You got lucky with a 486 for $20 as well! I wouldn't feel sorry about parting it out. You can always keep an eye out for another case and re unite the 486 later down the track.

I'd go with the original CPU and motherboard, later if you want you can try upgrading the CPU with your spare board. My thinking is because I also still have my first PC a 486 Dx2/66 and while I could upgrade the CPU and the SB16, I cant bring myself to do it. THAT CPU and THAT soundcard are all part of the nostalgia now.
I ended up getting a second 486 that I've upgraded, but I still use the DX2/66 more.

I definitely got lucky with the 486. Finding anything earlier than about 2005 is surprisingly difficult around here- I think most of it has already been thrown out. To be honest, though, I'm thinking about selling the 486 board if I can find a buyer. I don't have a lot of space, and I already have a system without a home- the "spare parts build".

Speaking of which, the Pentium MMX 233 works in the spare board. I tested that a while back and it's recognized properly and everything. That's not entirely surprising considering that it's at least two years newer. It'll probably be an objectively better build, with a newer chipset, USB, more storage (8GB CompactFlash), and a Rage XL (in the mail). I might actually build this one in my dead, pre-desecrated XT. It'll be a bit of an odd build, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I think it'll be a pretty nice PC.

I guess this build isn't entirely a purist one since it's as much about building what I didn't have as what I did have, with some things I absolutely want to keep. The pieces I really want to keep are the motherboard (naturally) and the graphics card (for some reason). The processor I'm kind of on the fence on. The Pentium 133 is 100% original and it's been through hell, but I remember seeing 200MHz and 233MHz Pentiums back in the day and thinking they were just so cool. I was going to try to fix my Sound Blaster 16, but I really like the sound of the AWE64 so I think I'll keep it. I know that a younger me would have absolutely taken the AWE64 over the SB16, for the higher number if nothing else.

Attachments

• build3.jpg
    Filename
    build3.jpg
    File size
    55.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • build2.jpg
    Filename
    build2.jpg
    File size
    75.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 6, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is going to be a somewhat messy post but I've already written two other writeups of it...

I installed a Voodoo2 accelerator! Well, I did that a week ago, actually, but I finally got around to properly testing it.

l6-3.jpg
Filename
l6-3.jpg
File size
137.39 KiB
Views
File license

That's the seller's picture- I was so excited when I finally got the card in my hands that I installed it right away and forgot to take pictures.

I tried a few games and, well, it's a mixed bag. Quake was excellent. With the 3dfx card in, I could do twice the resolution and still have a much smoother game- I think it was a steady 60FPS! I thought it ran okay in software mode but with the accelerator it really is dramatically better. I still haven't figured out screen capture and I don't have a proper capture setup, so all I have are these lousy cropped photos.

quake1.jpg
Filename
quake1.jpg
File size
113.53 KiB
Views
File license

Quake II was iffy. Sometimes it was a similar dramatic improvement- a far smoother framerate despite running at twice the resolution- but certain effects made the game really chug along. Half-Life was far better with the card than without, going from basically unplayable to playable, but still not good. I think these games are CPU-bound and the Voodoo2 isn't able to stretch its legs.

Considering the age of the system in relation to the release dates of the latter games, it's not entirely surprising. Tech sure did move fast back then!

I also installed a drawer which I got off eBay, but to be honest it's kind of ugly so I'm not sure if I'll keep it (though I don't have anything else to put there at the moment). I tried adding a USB card but there was some kind of incompatibility which led to a "fun" evening of troubleshooting where I nearly tore my hair out because I thought it was the RAM.

l6-1.jpg
Filename
l6-1.jpg
File size
82.84 KiB
Views
File license
l6-2.jpg
Filename
l6-2.jpg
File size
160.32 KiB
Views
File license

I do plan to test some earlier 3D games that support Glide and are more contemporary with the original computer. I might also upgrade to a 200MHz Pentium, which should be quite a bit faster.

I think that's it for now. I have a list of games I want to try but I'm kind of waiting on having a proper capture setup so I can record the result.