VOGONS

Reply 20 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phil's ultimate 4-in-1 1986-2000 project is about Super Socket 7 and AMD K6-3. He never tried Core 2. This "1986-2000" built made me a lot of joy because I myself use a such built but on Socket 775 and Core 2. I'm positioning my built as "1983-2009". It became possible by these two programs - MSRED and CACHECTL (and throttle.exe of course too). These two tools were made by developer i8088 for my request.

Reply 21 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Core 2 Duo still have that LX cache enable / disable options.

I wonder if that developer could also fix not working Sound Blaster driver on modern MB? Because some ring0, SMI or hypervisor magic is needed and its is not common knowledge even for people who know lots about ASM.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 22 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some update with X58 build, pure DOS with Yamaha 744 pure Dos SB Pro emulation is nowworking.

If you dont mind lots of philosofical overhead 😀 There are some details from trying:
Dos 7.1 Himem/EMS- boot freeze on HP z400 X58 6c/12t - solved+philosophic discussion about machine sense and progress

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 24 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ruthan, you make a great job and I thank you for it.

ruthan wrote:

I wonder if that developer could also fix not working Sound Blaster driver on modern MB?

Sorry, but... never. I think. You want too much. We should be happy if YMF7x4 and Vortex can work on any (or almost) chipset.
And in my opinion it's not worth to work this way with too fast CPUs/chipsets. You very likely will get problems when you'll try slowdown them for old DOS.

gdjacobs wrote:

For what it's worth

I'll tell for what. For much more ways about building retro/universal systems. For that the brain does not freeze and is not moldy with another regular fool topic "My Pentium 3 rig" or so.

Reply 25 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

pleas post your burnmem.sys configuration lines, its good to have some alternative, i wouldnt be surprised if some my game incompatibilities would be HimemX.exe problem, its worth to try..

Wow, it's worth to try? Hahaha. When you'll try it you'll say "it's the only one which is worth it".
http://old-dos.ru/dl.php?id=13733 - BURNMEM.SYS

To make Safe Mode bootable just open SYSTEM.CB and add [386Enh] section. I think you know what you should write there. Limit as minimize as possible, e.g. 256 or even 64 mb. It is only for Safe Mode.

Reply 26 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have created stand alone X58 machien pure Dos 7.1 + Yamaha 744 compatibility list and research thread, because if DOS compatibility would be great, this machine would be the king..
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Reply 27 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ruthan, the multiboot king must work with Windows 98/ME without issues. If you could show it I would buy ICH10 mobo with 1 PCIe slot (for X-Fi Titanium) and 4-5 PCI slots (for video DOS/9X, sound for DOS, 3dfx, sound for WIN9X) with the great pleasure! Does ICH10 have good results with Windows98? Did somebody tests?

Yet absolute king is i865+ICH5 now. It has ISA+DMA bus!!!!! It has Win9X support without headache.
OK, ISA is too much fun. I will be agree to ignore ISA with PCI sound for DOS but if you some showcase DOS and Windows98 work on ICH10 chipset.

By the way I slow down (for old DOS games) Core2+chipset very easy on i865 system. But if I try to do it on my X48+ICH9 system I get problems (keyboard malfunction, freezes etc).

So I think the king is i865+ISA yet! With Core2 CPU this system is working fine on DOS-Win9X-WinXP/7/8.1, can get XT performance without issues, 286-386-486 performance without issues and so on Pentium-Pentium2 ----- Core 2 3GHz.

Reply 28 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

ruthan, the multiboot king must work with Windows 98/ME without issues.

Common, Windows 98 was bluescreen era 😀

If you could show it I would buy ICH10 mobo with 1 PCIe slot (for X-Fi Titanium) and 4-5 PCI slots (for video DOS/9X, sound for DOS, 3dfx, sound for WIN9X) with the great pleasure! Does ICH10 have good results with Windows98? Did somebody tests?

Im not too much friendly with that ICH5,6,10 naming by south-bridge- i know that is somewhere on wiki, but its annoying, i never used it, im using whole chipset names or platforms etc. if you could translate it for me, it would be great.
1 only PCI-e slot - had only first strange boards for 1 PCI-E GPU in age AGP to PCI-E migration. I think that maximum what you could expect on MB, without some PCI extender board are 2 or 3 PCI slots.
3dfx - i have those cards, because wrappers exists and have 2 Direct3D / OpenGL devices would be probably PITA (i never tested it), i dont you them.
Sound in Windows 98SE is not problem - even SB Audigy and SB live working on new boards even through PCI-E to PCI boards (X99) By Windows 98 sound - i dont means Windows 98 Dosbox - its different beast. Yamaha 744 working too - no problem there.

Once MB is able too boot into Windows 98 and video and sound drivers are working, Windows games are usually just working.. Problem could be Windows 98 Dosbox, but that way we are care about native pure Dos. You could tune Windows 9x Dosbox too, but it feel for me as duplicity and once i have pure Dos, i never cared too much about it.

Yet absolute king is i865+ICH5 now. It has ISA+DMA bus!!!!! It has Win9X support without headache.
OK, ISA is too much fun. I will be agree to ignore ISA with PCI sound for DOS but if you some showcase DOS and Windows98 work on ICH10 chipset.

That is exactly that part of Window 98 Dosbox which im are trying to avoid, because for DirectX sound are could be used both ISA and PCI cards, i remember in era articles how great is that we finally get rid of evil ISA - because of stability and speed.

By the way I slow down (for old DOS games) Core2+chipset very easy on i865 system. But if I try to do it on my X48+ICH9 system I get problems (keyboard malfunction, freezes etc).

Im happy with my Core 2 Duo system on Conroe865 too. I cant speak about X48, im testing Dos compatibility of X58 and we will see, i X48 probably wouldnt be worse, but it is a lot about right MB vendor, Bios settings, right additional cards and software settings.
You could check my DOS compatibility thread - i tested maybe 25,30 games (yeah tested set of games is subjective), is would say that 70% are working out of box (with right config branch). without any new computer patches for specific games, slowdowners, DOS4WG patches, autoexec, vesa utils, autoexec / config tuning - FILES / BUFFERS and other magic stuff. For me its good results, but i hope that with some community knowledge i could reach 90% compatibility level, otherwise i would be a bit disappointed. We will see..

For now i dont have keyboard issues with PS2 keyboard and mouse and PS2 switch - it could be vendor specific.
Freezes - are there, but for now at very beginning of games - Dune II menu, games start.. When i reach gameplay state, i dont have usually issues - i had only 1 freeze in Anvil of Dawn, but i had similar even with Dosbox so.. its under analysis.

So I think the king is i865+ISA yet! With Core2 CPU this system is working fine on DOS-Win9X-WinXP/7/8.1, can get XT performance without issues, 286-386-486 performance without issues and so on Pentium-Pentium2 ----- Core 2 3GHz.

If we are pressing on X58 pure Dos compatibility, we cant be soft on Core 2 - so i would tell, that Windows 7 / 8.1 - experience, is sub optimal.. you cant really play too much Windows 7 / 8 games and CPU is slow for more demanding apps and multitasking etc. If im not wrong you are limited to 4 GB of memory which is not enough modern OS and apps - even internet browser could consume 2 GB of memory..
Saying that Core 2 is good enough for Windows 7/8.1 its like saying that if Dos FIlemanager (= Windows explorer) + Text editor are working, Pure Dos is working. We discussing games so it should be 1 to 1.

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-10-26, 04:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Im not too much friendly with that ICH5,6,10 naming by south-bridge- i know that is somewhere on wiki, but its annoying, i never used it, im using whole chipset names or platforms etc. if you could translate it for me, it would be great.

OK. i865, X58 etc - all these "main" chipset names are northbridges. Northbridges don't manage external buses, peripherals (except video cards). With one northbridge it's may be paired not only one exact southbridge but sometimes another southbridge too. If we talk about PCI bus, PS/2 keyboard features and so on we must talk mostly about southbridge.

ruthan wrote:

1 only PCI-e slot - had only first strange boards for 1 PCI-E GPU in age AGP to PCI-E migration.

No!!! I mean not PCI-Ex16 but PCI-Ex1 for sound card in XP and newer OSes. Best is seems X-Fi Titanium because real hardware EAX for games (which support) under XP. There are several motherboards with:
ONE PCI-Ex16
ONE PCI-Ex1
FIVE PCI
And I like them! PCI-Ex16/x1 are for video/sound in "modern" OSes. Many PCI slots are for DOS/Win9X!
Example: https://ru.gecid.com/data/mboard/200908210000 … 1563/img/01.jpg But... ICH10 and throttling issues. AFAIK the last chipset which is good for DOS (adequate throttle) is ICH7.

ruthan wrote:

would say that 70% are working out of box

It is very very VERY few! I beleive that other 30% won't work because you don't use throttling. 90-95% would be a good result as on my i865+ICH5 system. Can we reach it on X58+ICH10? I doubt.

ruthan wrote:

you cant really play too much Windows 7 / 8 games and CPU is slow for more demanding apps and multitasking etc. If im not wrong you are limited to 4 GB of memory which is not enough modern OS and apps - even internet browser could consume 2 GB of memory..
Saying that Core 2 is good enough for Windows 7/8.1 its like saying that if Dos FIlemanager (= Windows explorer) + Text editor are working, Pure Dos is working. We discussing games so it should be 1 to 1.

Yes, sure! My build is mostly for DOS-Win9X-WinXP games, ~1983---2010. But it has ISA of full value with DMA, it's absolutely indispensable for DOS sound. And Win7/8 mostly "office" variation.

Reply 30 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. i865, X58 etc - all these "main" chipset names are northbridges. Northbridges don't manage external buses, peripherals (except video cards). With one northbridge it's may be paired not only one exact southbridge but sometimes another southbridge too. If we talk about PCI bus, PS/2 keyboard features and so on we must talk mostly about southbridge.

For new chipset, if you look at MB specs, nobody even care to point about south bridge names, there is just chipset row and nothing else, i alway lived that world.. I just remember names as 440BX, Via Apollo III, but southbriges never.

No!!! I mean not PCI-Ex16 but PCI-Ex1 for sound card in XP and newer OSes. Best is seems X-Fi Titanium because real hardware EAX […]
Show full quote

No!!! I mean not PCI-Ex16 but PCI-Ex1 for sound card in XP and newer OSes. Best is seems X-Fi Titanium because real hardware EAX for games (which support) under XP. There are several motherboards with:
ONE PCI-Ex16
ONE PCI-Ex1
FIVE PCI
And I like them! PCI-Ex16/x1 are for video/sound in "modern" OSes. Many PCI slots are for DOS/Win9X!
Example: https://ru.gecid.com/data/mboard/200908 ... img/01.jpg But... ICH10 and throttling issues. AFAIK the last chipset which is good for DOS (adequate throttle) is ICH7.

Well, i dont have name or specs boards of you posted, but it looks like one of these early PCI-E boards..

RuThaN Wrote: would say that 70% are working out of box
Parus wrote: It is very very VERY few! I beleive that other 30% won't work because you don't use throttling. 90-95% would be a good result as on my i865+ICH5 system. Can we reach it on X58+ICH10? I doubt.

- Now i would say that number of games which are working out box, is even less 50-60%.. it really depends on tested set of games and i would say that the most known \ sold games are more compatible than other.. maybe is there also some correlation increasing the sales:)
- I tried few 80s games, but it that age wasnt PC best gaming platform, so majority tested games is from 90-96 in this set i would tell that 15% needs some slowdown programs, i found 1 too fast game - Battle arena Toshinden and other not started without slowdown utilities or have some issues which slowdown utilities fixed.
- I didnt do any proper calculations but i would say, i reached 70-75% compatibility without excessive googling and game patching (even than is not quick lots of rebooting and retesting in Dosbox, i game behave correctly (sound) and testing if is working at least without loaded sound drivers, with other video card, with slowdown etc..), but trying few tools and config branches.. i need some more time for complete testing of my selected games set and till real hard work will come
- analysis where is problem => compatibility tuning, there is lots of configuration parameters, my Dos skill is not exceptional, i dont know lots of things, i have some suspect ions would could be wrong with my configuration, lots of questions, things to try.

Until that i can really say too much about result, final compatibility percentage.. i would say in % of compatibility is so high as was expected in this project phase.. I would like to see compatibility at 90% level, we will see.
It will be mainly about community, how much better Dos knowledge than me community members have + how much effort invest to help X58 project etc.. We will see, if we will simply hit some hardware limitations which are not fixable, or some software limits and how much of them could be successfully avoided / fixed. Even when there will be not much improvements, we will know there are limits and maybe wait on future breakthroughs - There are some very clever people around here and i will not underestimate their skills to avoid some software problem, but first step is debug source of problem or at least find out problematic test cases.

Reply 31 of 58, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding MacOS, keep in mind that except for 10.5, Intel versions can't run PowerPC software, and 10.5 and later can't run Classic MacOS software.

Reply 32 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

if you look at MB specs, nobody even care to point about south bridge names, there is just chipset row and nothing else, i alway lived that world.. I just remember names as 440BX, Via Apollo III, but southbriges never

That is why you rush about Live/Audigy in DOS and so on. When you try EMU10K sound in DOS you need:
1) PCI DDMA hardware support by South Bridge
2) Proper DMA support by BIOS
If any point is false you'll get nothing. Therefore I told you don't try so hard with EMU10k cards. After ICH5/VT8237/SiS964 you'll get nothing. Maybe sometimes MIDI and nothing more.
Please see one example. This is i865 motherboard:
600_IMBA-8650GR-R20_01.JPG
It has full PCI DDMA and ISA DMA support, sound cards (PCI and ISA) work in DOS perfectly.
And this is another i865 motherboard:
epox2.jpg
You may think it's similar. But no! It has not DDMA, PCI/ISA sound cards don't work. How it's possible? Different southbridges! Peripheral not depends on northbridge, it depends on southbridge. And throttling success depends mainly on southbridge too.

ruthan wrote:

it looks like one of these early PCI-E boards..

So what? It has perfect PCI-E 2.0 x16 and DDR3 RAM. We can plug top 4-cores 775 CPU and it will give similar performance like many Core i5 models.
On the other hand it has 5 (!) PCI. They can be Video Card, Voodoo2 SLI, Audigy sound, A3D Vortex sound, Yamaha DS-XG!!!!! Is it bad?

Reply 33 of 58, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

Regarding MacOS, keep in mind that except for 10.5, Intel versions can't run PowerPC software, and 10.5 and later can't run Classic MacOS software.

I think 10.4.4 and 10.6 can run PowerPC software too, and 10.4.4 intel version and later (basically all intel versions) can't run Classic MacOS software.

Reply 34 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Yeah MacOS for multiboot means new intel based MacOS, MacOS for retro gaming would be too much for now, newer MacOS better community support, except last one.

I bought for $100 bucks one of last PowerPC iMacs, i with help of my friend i changed capacitors for PSU part and its working well. PowerPC mas emulation still sucks.

For first intel based MacOS after PowerPC line end, there was some inbuild translation layer - name Rosetta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software) , which later was removed for new versions. I wanst MacOs os used at the time, so i cant tell too much.

Reply 35 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

That is why you rush about Live/Audigy in DOS and so on.

I dont think that is black and white, i really dont read about retro gaming news every day, search for some info would take some time too and there are lots of myths about was is not working, unless someone try it. At the start didnt expected that compability situation is so bad, because i had s775 machine almost everything worked, so i originally expected that if MB has PCI slot, it will work.. and i even tried PCI-E to PCI bridge and it worked fine in Win98+, i did not expected that there will so much hassle with good old Dos.

I would never know that Blood and Duke setup sound ever through all limitation is working and that is precedent that there is maybe some way how to make sound to work, its not completely impossible on hardware layer.

PARUS wrote:
ruthan wrote:

it looks like one of these early PCI-E boards..

So what? It has perfect PCI-E 2.0 x16 and DDR3 RAM. We can plug top 4-cores 775 CPU and it will give similar performance like many Core i5 models.
On the other hand it has 5 (!) PCI. They can be Video Card, Voodoo2 SLI, Audigy sound, A3D Vortex sound, Yamaha DS-XG!!!!! Is it bad?

I expected some breaking news, something newer than s775, i know that these are working. Are you sure about DDR3 RAM and PCI-E 2.0 support, there wasnt too much Core 2 boards even with DDR2 support? You still dont posted MB name, so i cant check it and picture is too small. Performance there are some game when Core duo Quad is ok, but also lots game there sucks..[/quote]

PARUS wrote:

They can be Video Card, Voodoo2 SLI, Audigy sound, A3D Vortex sound, Yamaha DS-XG!!!!! Is it bad?

For me is interesing:
1) Does work PCI-E graphics + PCI graphics card combination? Especially with adde Voodoo 2 card. Because only PCI graphics card would be slow for Xp+.
2) Sound cards - which is best one for compability? Or with such MB 95% of games works regardless of used sound card? I would expect somethink like Audigy > Vortex > Yamaha, if Creative SB emulation driver is good.

Reply 36 of 58, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Are you sure about DDR3 RAM and PCI-E 2.0 support, there wasnt too much Core 2 boards even with DDR2 support?

You daze me! Sure it was, DDR3 and PCI-E2.0 both are common things from long s775 era.
This board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P43T-ES3G-rev-13#ov
But I say again that I very doubt about trouble-less throttling on ICH10 chipset. Therefore I would choose ICH7 based motherboard like this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-945PL-S3E-rev-66#ov Unfortunately this is i945 northbridge. But motherboards with ICH7 exist on newer northbridges, with DDR3 up to 16GB and Quad Core CPUs support. Need to find.

ruthan wrote:

Does work PCI-E graphics + PCI graphics card combination? Especially with adde Voodoo 2 card. Because only PCI graphics card would be slow for Xp+.

Oh, this double-video scheme is checked not once and not only by me. I've checked it many times on different mobos, PCI+AGP and PCI+PCIe. Of course PCI video should be always Primary and used in DOS/Win9X. PCIe video is for XP+. It is not necessary to set Primary video PCIe, NT5 OSes 2000 and later can do it by themself via Desktop Configuration and save these settings once.

ruthan wrote:

Sound cards - which is best one for compability?

IMHO Vortex2 and YMF724/744/754. Live/Audigy is for only additional usage if you want SB16 support. Because EMU10k is wrong choice for SB Pro emulation, and it doesn't depend on motherboard. EMU10k is ALWAYS and IN ANY CASES very bad as single DOS sound card, it must be facultative "SB16" card together with main "SB Pro" card which can be Vortex/Yamaha.

Reply 37 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:
You daze me! Sure it was, DDR3 and PCI-E2.0 both are common things from long s775 era. This board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Moth […]
Show full quote
ruthan wrote:

Are you sure about DDR3 RAM and PCI-E 2.0 support, there wasnt too much Core 2 boards even with DDR2 support?

You daze me! Sure it was, DDR3 and PCI-E2.0 both are common things from long s775 era.
This board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P43T-ES3G-rev-13#ov
But I say again that I very doubt about trouble-less throttling on ICH10 chipset. Therefore I would choose ICH7 based motherboard like this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-945PL-S3E-rev-66#ov Unfortunately this is i945 northbridge. But motherboards with ICH7 exist on newer northbridges, with DDR3 up to 16GB and Quad Core CPUs support. Need to find.

Ok its better than i expected, because i lived with no PCI-E in Windows 98, i never checked these new s775 boards, but yeah if is sound cards compatibility really related to south-bridge, X58 has the name south bridge and definitely more possibilities with modern OSes.
I wonder how is PCI-E GPU compatibility, for first s775 PCI-E there were some thin PCI-E compatibility list, but this has PCI-E v2 so it, so it maybe has not such problem.

Oh, this double-video scheme is checked not once and not only by me. I've checked it many times on different mobos, PCI+AGP and PCI+PCIe. Of course PCI video should be always Primary and used in DOS/Win9X. PCIe video is for XP+. It is not necessary to set Primary video PCIe, NT5 OSes 2000 and later can do it by themself via Desktop Configuration and save these settings once.

Im asking because i had some AMD970 board with 2 Nvidia cards and there is wasnt able to make it working with Windows 7+, agent had some issue with it too, so he was using old video driver.. I always ended up in some strange VGA safe driver mode instead classical working driver, but Agent007 had good idea in this video, tested i thing with Windows 2000, he managed to device some MB bridge device and second GPU dont even show in device manager (completely disable HW to ignored it at all - and Linux blacklist was always my dream, it could save lots of problem).

IMHO Vortex2 and YMF724/744/754. Live/Audigy is for only additional usage if you want SB16 support. Because EMU10k is wrong choice for SB Pro emulation, and it doesn't depend on motherboard. EMU10k is ALWAYS and IN ANY CASES very bad as single DOS sound card, it must be facultative "SB16" card together with main "SB Pro" card which can be Vortex/Yamaha.

Hmm, i hoped that because Audigy is from Creative SB compatibility would be better, even some not creative chip is used, i forgot which sound cards company they bought and used there chips.. good to know. Its to soon to say it definitively, but at least 1 user has with Core 2 -P965 (ICH8R) chipset same problems with whole 2 games (yeah big statistical sample) as i have with Yamaha.. so lets hope that Aureal would be better.

Reply 38 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok i finally completed my first round of X58 + Yamaha 744 Pure DOS compatibility testing -100+ games, now is time check results and for suggestions what to try to fix problems, any help is welcome.
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Reply 39 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I updated matrix with new info from last months, from other threads.