VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just thought I’d put up some pics of my new potential project - a circa 1996 AcerPower desktop system. Don’t know much about it as I pulled it from a skip (wish you could still pull stuff like this out of skips 🙁 ) but it does work save for the hard drive is nearly dead.

It’s in really nice shape with very little yellowing and no visible cap damage but does have a dead Dallas chip I need to rectify at some point.

Only 2 issues with the case are that it has moveable feet to use it in a horizontal or vertical format - which is pretty cool but somehow the little “blanks” for the unused slots have somehow gone missing since I picked it up - a purely cosmetic issue but a shame nonetheless. The second issue is that it has some kind of cut or gouge to the plastic top of it that looks like someone could have accidentally done it with a soldering iron or something - I’ll have to have a think about that one. I don’t think I could plastic weld and paint without it looking like crap so I might just cut the section out and fit a fan there.

I think it’s got a 100mhz Pentium in there and I expanded it to 96mb RAM. It has onboard Cirrus Logic 5434 graphics and unknown onboard sound. Might be a good candidate for using a Voodoo card with the onboard video but I’m not sure yet if the CL5434 is up to the task.

It’s a potential project for a new 3D card and sound card plus a new Dallas chip and hard drive and a general spruce up - I’m also working on another socket 7 build atm so we’ll see how things progress, I doubt I’ll keep both when they’re done.

bo9o6QH.jpg

5Sw6HZ6.jpg

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 1 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even though the internal structure of the chassis is not that interesting, I've always thought that Acer had the best bezels.

I'm pretty sure Inwin (which I also really like) must have taken some design cues on the LED/reset button area.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 3, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agreed. The internals are kind of annoying coming from only tower cases too being held together mainly with annoying spring clips.

Aside from that the chassis is very nice quality, nice toolless design and feels solid. I do also like the bezel too which is a bonus.

Would be a shame if the integrated graphics weren’t suitable to use with a V1 or V2 but being integrated graphics in an office PC from 1996 I’m not holding out a great deal of hope.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While desktop cases are limited for space inside, they stack really nicely, and for you even better as it hides the case damage.