VOGONS

IBM APTIVA MASTER RACE!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 99, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Ah, I just assumed it was an MWave since mine came with one.

Yeah mine did also. Ditched that thing immediately! Zero support.

Nice to see a 2176 like you have. Classy ibm look with a 90s twist, and pretty rare. Very ibm inside and out unlike the e series that unmistakably look like a budget acer.

Here’s some pages still up with good info...

http://aptivasupport.com/aptiva.html

http://tedfelix.com/Mwave/

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1

Reply 22 of 99, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This site also has plenty of info http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/64e2.htm

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 24 of 99, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah that site has all sorts of resources and info on various old obscure cards and boards.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 25 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, My Aptiva came with an AMD k6-2 333mhz CPU.
But you can change the CPU out for an Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz.

I was also able to find an IBM Aptiva Slot one Pentium-2 333mhz motherboard and CPU.

So now I have some options if I ever want to upgrade this.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    Filename
    s-l300.jpg
    File size
    13.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ibm-aptivamb.JPG
    Filename
    ibm-aptivamb.JPG
    File size
    71.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    259.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pentium-2 333 Slot-1 Mobo
    File license
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    292.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AMD K6-2 333 mobo
    File license

Reply 27 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah,
AGP slot is good for a Voodoo 3 card and the PCI slots are good for a Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs with live drive.

Attachments

• audigy_2_zs_platinum.jpg
    Filename
    audigy_2_zs_platinum.jpg
    File size
    19.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2000box.jpg
    Filename
    2000box.jpg
    File size
    7.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28 of 99, by Korax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice Aptiva! The 2176 was the first PC we ever got at home! Although it was a 75 Mhz version 😀

Just recently, while visiting my parents, I drove by an old electronics second hand store, and to my great surprise found an old Aptiva 2142 from 1997 there, one of the few IBM machines I've seen from that time, made with black casing. Its got a Pentium II 266 Mhz with 64 MB ram, and is one of those split systems with a seperate media console, which contains the 3,5" floppy drive and a CD drive. The system powers up via the media console, no buttons or drives (apart from the hard drives) are present in the actual tower, although you can put in additional drives if you like.

The 17 inch IBM MM75 monitor has built in Bose speakers, which connect directly to the Aptiva tower - there's an onboard Crystal audio chip that works with it. The original keyboard + mouse was not there, but there was actually an additonal tower unit of the same type, without console and monitor, which i ended up getting, along with the rest.

I have never ever seen this type of machine here before, so I am looking forward to testing it 😀

Attachments

• ibm aptiva 266.jpg
    Filename
    ibm aptiva 266.jpg
    File size
    143.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 29 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Korax wrote:
Nice Aptiva! The 2176 was the first PC we ever got at home! Although it was a 75 Mhz version :) […]
Show full quote

Nice Aptiva! The 2176 was the first PC we ever got at home! Although it was a 75 Mhz version 😀

Just recently, while visiting my parents, I drove by an old electronics second hand store, and to my great surprise found an old Aptiva 2142 from 1997 there, one of the few IBM machines I've seen from that time, made with black casing. Its got a Pentium II 266 Mhz with 64 MB ram, and is one of those split systems with a seperate media console, which contains the 3,5" floppy drive and a CD drive. The system powers up via the media console, no buttons or drives (apart from the hard drives) are present in the actual tower, although you can put in additional drives if you like.

The 17 inch IBM MM75 monitor has built in Bose speakers, which connect directly to the Aptiva tower - there's an onboard Crystal audio chip that works with it. The original keyboard + mouse was not there, but there was actually an additonal tower unit of the same type, without console and monitor, which i ended up getting, along with the rest.

I have never ever seen this type of machine here before, so I am looking forward to testing it 😀

NICE !
I've been looking for a setup like that.

Reply 30 of 99, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hooooooly crap what an awesome find! that thing looks MINT!

please take more pictures and show bobs & uh, er...

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 31 of 99, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really hope to have one of these towers as a replacement for my K6-2 build some day.. Even just the case I would be happy with.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 99, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IBM Keyboard. Clickity type , PS2 for Aptiva.
Very heavy.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    Filename
    002.jpg
    File size
    262.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 001.jpg
    Filename
    001.jpg
    File size
    208 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 34 of 99, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same keyboard I have on my main machine. Its IBM in name only as the keyboard was actually made by Chicony. The unit I got was purchased new as an "IBM Basics" branded product.

Reply 37 of 99, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Brought one of these home after doing some rummaging at a yard sale so the system wasn't in the best shape and sadly the plastic face plate exploded on me 😵 , lifted by that bit at the top that is like a handle and plastic fragments went everywhere. Needless to say I was not happy when that happened, I hope to find another like it someday preferably a S7 system. Got two other Aptivas and both need restoration, one is a SS7 era that runs alright but also got a rarer socket 4 66mhz model and the plastic at the back broke up as well from age.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 38 of 99, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Korax wrote:
Nice Aptiva! The 2176 was the first PC we ever got at home! Although it was a 75 Mhz version :) […]
Show full quote

This is the aptiva holy grail! Everything is there and looks super clean. I need to get one of those...

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1