VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm always one for trying something a bit different, so here is my latest Windows 98 / DOS build.

It's a ECS P6VEM3 motherboard, which has a soldered on VIA C3 CPU. Whilst it's a lowly 733MHz CPU, it is from spring 2001; around the time the Tualatin was released, so I hoped it would be faster than say, a 733MHz Coppermine - yeah, about that...

Anyway, I paired it with 256MB of SDR RAM, and the chipset / onboard video is a SiS 630e. Pretty woeful but it was primarily going to be a DOS PC, the main reason being it is very quiet! I used my Soundblaster Live for the SB16 emulation in DOS, although I was originally going to use the built in audio VT1612A, but all the drivers I could find reported that they couldn't find any relevant hardware... oh well.

9bbQGCih.jpg
v9D4grTh.jpg
tiny heatsink and fan combination! Some are passively cooled.

tzXG6a6h.jpg
My only vaguely reto-y PC case I have left 🙁

zbWAbNZh.jpg?1
With my 17" Dell LCD and Acer mechanical keyboard

So is it any good? It works pretty well in Windows-based DOS. A few games run too fast, only one or two don't work with the Soundblaster's SB16 emulation, so pretty good for what it is! I tried disabling the internal cache and it is un-usable in Windows. The few games with speed issues were fixed, but most games were unplayably slow (3-4 seconds per frame kind of unplayable)

A few benchmarks from Phil's DOS benchmarking package:
3DBench 1.0c: 377fps
Chris' 3D Benchmark: 63fps
PC Player Bench: 36fps
Quake: 31fps

Is it any good as a Windows 98 gaming PC? Balls no!

3DMark 99: 2,186 (4,358 CPU)
3DMark 2000: 697
Quake 3: 23.5fps (also very laggy menus)

It's the first PC I've actually played any DOS games on though so I'm not interested in making a DOS PC. I'm tempted to drop my Voodoo 3 in there to see if there is much improvement, or maybe just put my usual Athlon 800 set up back in.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 3, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a C3 733 system my mom bought me back in 2003 when my XP 1700 got blasted by lightening, I sold it and bought a K6-2+ 450 based computer and that was faster 🤣

Reply 2 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:

I used my Soundblaster Live for the SB16 emulation in DOS, although I was originally going to use the built in audio VT1612A, but all the drivers I could find reported that they couldn't find any relevant hardware... oh well.

For sound under DOS you have to use the driver/initializer for the SiS 7018 integrated audio as the VT1612A is just the codec chip. It got some horrible OPL3 emulation going on but with a modified version of SNDINIT.EXE you can use General MIDI in game which supports that.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I have the same mobo here. It is a very nice one. I use YMF724 card for DOS that works flawless with the modified drivers from an user here (Big thanks to him! 😎
I think that the very strong point of this board is the setmul usage. I can play WC perfectly with setmul 3 l1d l2d ICD BPD command
I can also overclock the cpu over 900mhz using setmul.
You can have an 386, 486, P1 and P2 @ 350 with one setup only.
Bought this mobo this week in local flea market for 5€
Caps replaced, BIOS Chip replaced and passive HS glued in NB chip by me.
I was thinking in resell this mobo, but I will keep it. It is a winner one.