VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have basically finished my all original retro parted Pc the only thing missing is a white Dvd drive as the one in it is a black one, on the front face panel it looks like there are two 3.5 inch floppy drives but the bottom one is just plastic I will have to get a blank one some day. The specs are:

CPU - 486 DX2 66MHz
Motherboard - Gemlight GMB-486UNP
Motherboard Cache - 256Kb
Ram - 16Mb 30 pin Simms 4x4Mb
200 Watt power supply
20GB IDE hard drive with 4 partitions of 2GB each I used Dynamic Drive Overlay software to get 2GB
VLB Video Card with 1Mb Vram - (will have to pull out card to get model I have forgotten)
An I/O Controller card for IDE and Floppy
Pro Audio Spectrum 16 with FCC ID: IXW-SCSI 1-1 and modded CD in cable to fit Dvd drives audio out
Floppy controller card only being used for one COM port for the serial mouse
Battery has been removed from the motherboard and cleaned of corrosion but luckily there was not much
Cmos battery has 3x AA 1.5 volt batteries in a black plastic box with velcro holding it in place
Cable management is zip tied and nice and neat
3.5 inch floppy drive and a Dvd burner drive
Dos 6.21

Here are some pics:

20180619_232207_zpsstx0xsie.jpg

20180619_232313_zps1nsir8fp.jpg

20180620_000354_zps01uugkqe.jpg

20180619_232233_zpsb7ve18mb.jpg

20180620_001603_zpsflmbwehu.jpg

Reply 1 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking at Robert B's PC build and he has a Noctua NF-4x10FLX 40 mm x 40 mm x 10 mm 4500 rpm/SSO2 bearing fan on his CPU and since mine is noisy and very old I will be getting one of these too so my build is about 95% finished

Reply 2 of 14, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep - I recommed that little Noctua NF-4x10FLX 40 mm x 40 mm x 10 mm 4500 rpm/SSO2 bearing fan 😁 It is a little expensive but it will last a long time.

In the past I used cheaper 40 mm fans from Scythe - Mini Kaze. These are pretty quiet too but they have only 3500rpm and are with sleeve bearing.

Nice system you have there. I really like that case 😀

Reply 3 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I got the case it still had the thin plastic protector over the turbo display/buttons so its in mint condition all I had to do was use some household cleaner on the rest of the white plastic body and she is mark and scuff free

Reply 4 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice case indeed - love the fake floppy drive bay cover.

I came across a PC here recently (AU) with that very case badge - where you at?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im from Australia east of Melbourne I also have a fully built P3 slot 1 500MHz rig with an AWE64 value hooked up to an SC55 and stereo mixer this build was just because I wanted a 486 to keep forever it takes me back to my parents 486 when I was a kid

Reply 6 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does someone know what the two white plastic things are on the far right of the Pc im guessing they are for very long cards that slot into them to keep them from bending or saging

Reply 7 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Does someone know what the two white plastic things are on the far right of the Pc im guessing they are for very long cards that slot into them to keep them from bending or saging

Yep, you guessed correctly

Reply 8 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am working on a 486 build too, I hope to get started on someday when I get all the parts in.
Where can I get that "Dynamic Drive Overlay software" it appears to be removed from "Philscomputerlab"
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dynamic-driv … y-software.html

Was it hard to figure out the jumper settings for your MV sound card ?
I have some of those same sound cards.
What jumper settings did you use ?

Reply 9 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

J4 is to share DMA with pins 1+2 and not to share DMA is pins 2+3 I have it set to share DMA
J5 is for the Cd audio in from your CD/DVD players audio cable but the original cable for my J5 PAS16 had to be modified so it could go into a standard CD/DVD audio out by cutting the cable end off and transplanting a doner cable end from a standard Cd/Dvd drive

From Jo22 he sent me a manual that says "J2 is used to change your spectrum 16's board ID, this is used when you install multiple PAS16's, support for this feature is to be implemented in future driver releases." so I dont think you need any jumpers on any of the J2 pins but my board has 26 pins for J2 and the manual has 6 pins for J2 either way I dont have any jumpers for J2 (26 pins on my card) or J3 (6 pins on my card)

J1 on my baord has 26 pins and I think its for a wave board I dont think this is the right name for the device that plugs into this headder its the device used to play midi sound in some way

J10 is a Scsi port for the CD rom drive that comes with the PAS16 I didnt end up using it because it would have been to slow compared to an IDE Dvd drive running from a ISA controller card

My board doesnt have J6 to J9

Here is a pic of my board

04_zps9af1yhkr.jpg

I'll get back about where I got the DDO software as I think it was from Philscomputerlab, you will enjoy using this card I ended up choosing this card from all the cards I had lying around because it was the best for my all time favourite game Gabriel Knight 1 because it has almost perfect voice with next to no pops and if you have some hiss I lowered the treble and played with the mixer, this card is shielded in some way that is why is sounds so good

Reply 10 of 14, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got my DDO software from Philscomputerlab its called Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57 goto software/tools/storage tools/HDD tools/dynamic drive overlay software/ontrack disk manager

it will download as an *.exe file and you need to run the exe file from a windows 98 Pc as Win 10 wont run it but other operating systems will work as well I just dont know which, it will ask for a floppy disk to install the software to and after the install you will have a bootable floppy to run the DDO program. There is a text help file on the disk that explains how to set the Bios before you use the DDO software and probably some other requirements but I dont remember at the moment.

Reply 11 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Love the case, you even have the option to upgrade to 100 Mhz or above with that 3 digit display 😉
I'm also a fan of the fake floppy bay cover. Not like you need 2 floppy drives these days but this makes it looked fully loaded with hardware goodness

Reply 12 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you keep these old AT cases cool? They don't have the fan mounts we're used to seeing with ATX. I have a couple of these old computers and worry about overheating, especially if they have Voodoo cards installed.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

How do you keep these old AT cases cool? They don't have the fan mounts we're used to seeing with ATX. I have a couple of these old computers and worry about overheating, especially if they have Voodoo cards installed.

I have fans directed over hotter parts, like a voodoo. It doesn't extract the heat but at least its getting air blown over it.
Usually mounted using cable ties hanging off something. I figure its still better then anything it had when new and cooling wasn't even an afterthought.