VOGONS

First post, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, vogoners.

Glad to present my current retro rig. Primary goal is preserve regular retro look and feel of it (you know - beige plastic and etc) but drastically reduce his size and make it totally silent and dust free.

Specs:
Mobo: Advantech PCA-6740 - PICMG 1.0 / Half-Size ISA SBC.
Disk drive #1: M-Systems DiskOnChip DOC2000 64mb flash module installed in DIP socket on mobo. Used as backup/rescue bootable disk.
Disk drive #2: WD SiliconDrive 1gb SSD, 2.5" IDE.
ISA soundcard #1: Creative SB16 Vibra CT2860
ISA soundcard #2: Advanced Gravis Ultrasound ACE
Case: Acrosser AR-IPC3SP-G - 3 slot half-size industrial chassis w/ISA backplane.
Display: Modgraph MG-3930 - 9" color SVGA CRT monitor.
Keyboard: Cherry ML4100.
Mouse: 2-button PS/2 ball mouse by IBM.

Now some pics.
01.jpg 02.jpg
Advantech PCA-6740. Half-Size ISA SBC w/soldered 133mhz 486 CPU class CPU (not needed cooling, just slightly warm) and some kind of embedded proprietary SoC chipset with some quirks. Hopefully most of it have workarounds. 32mb SDRAM onboard (again - "486" -> "SDRAM" - this chipset full of vagaries). All in all compatibility is really good. Also it have onboard video (SMI LynxEM+ SM712G - not best solution for DOS games but gives surprisingly sharp picture on such old and fuzzy CRT display), and LAN chip ("classic" one - RTL8139).
07.jpg 08.jpg
Western Digital SiliconDrive 1gb IDE SSD. In alluminium case, looks robust.
Disassembled chassis. No fans here, 100% silent. 40W PSU is enough for whole system.
03.jpg 04.jpg
Creative SB16 VibraS CT2860 (OEM for HP?). Non PNP. Hanging note bug is here, but it have real YMF262 chip.
05.jpg 06.jpg
Advanced Gravis Ultrasound ACE. This one is 1.1 revision with full meg of ram.
That industrial mobo have some problems with DMAs 1 and 5 when used it by soundcards, but 3, 6 and 7 is ok. Enough for both cards to work together without problems.
09.jpg 10.jpg
Fully disassembled system. ISA backplane have IDE 40PIN interface to 44PIN converter on it.
11.jpg 12.jpg
13.jpg 14.jpg
15.jpg 16.jpg
Assembly is really quick and simple.
17.jpg 18.jpg
19.jpg 20.jpg 45.jpg
Looks nice. Should i put something on rear LPT port? 😀
21.jpg 22.jpg
In comparison with Holy Bible. Biggest book which i find in home library for that comparion. That book is really huge you know? 😀
23.jpg 24.jpg
25.jpg 26.jpg
27.jpg 28.jpg
Mothercard have one universal PS/2 port for keyboard and mouse which can be connected simultaneously via Y-cable. Like in notebooks.
29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg
Tiny color SVGA monitor. Manufactured in 1994 but still bright enough.
32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg
The whole setup...
35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg
...in action. Have MS-DOS 6.22...
38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg
...and Windows 95. Performance is still enough for simple internet services like email (via email software), ICQ, IRC, FTP. Even some web pages and forums can be accessed.
And it really small. 😀

TO-DO:
Change chassis. Maybe to something like CLM-903S.
Change SSD to some more vintage, authentic and period correct. Like M-Systems FFD IDE series. Just for fun.
Replace Vibra with Sertek S521 ES1688 card. Find it first ofcourse. I like it scheme.
Put some WT on it.
Invent usage for mobo's PC/104 interface.
Find Ortek MCK-84 keyboard and replace current Cherry with it. Because nobody sells custom color keycaps for ML switches 🙁
Find rare and useless Polaroid CP-60SC filter for 9" CRT displays 😀

Last edited by aleksej on 2018-07-15, 14:27. Edited 11 times in total.

Reply 1 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh another SBC build! nice one! I like how everything is tiny, even that monitor - a cashier's one?
Interesting SoC/CPU from ST I think I saw someone with a dev board of it some time ago. Even if that doesn't work out there are plenty 486 SBCs out there - just be prepared for 95% of them to have an ALi chipset 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 67, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

keropi, no, this one pulled from laser engraving machine. I think most of old CRT POS displays is B/W.
Did you mean something like this? 😉
41.jpg 42.jpg
43.jpg 44.jpg
Hopefully it driven by VIA Venus chipset. Anyway i prefer that modern SoC because it gives me much more sharp picture.

Reply 3 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like that setup and that small screen makes all vga stuff look like 1080p graphics 🤣
Yep, plenty of boards like the one you show. As a sidenote I did not think much of the ALi chipset but having used a couple of SBCs that have it I must say I am impressed. If you think about it these SBCs are built to last and be as stable as possible (they are not 100$ boards after all) so there must be a reason many chose the ALi chipset.

Without spending much money I ended up with 3 of those 486 SBCs that all works pretty great without issues
A72ZqHdt.jpg bQHNZl0t.jpg uzudKxLt.jpg

But my setup is more boring than yours - small but you've set a new bar 🤣

rP2SiL7m.jpg

I need to find one of these small 9" color vga crts now 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 67, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, aleksej!

So nice to finally see your PC on such detailed photos!

What's that wrap cover you have over your keyboard? As I understand it is to keep it pristine, but doesn't it obstruct typing? The material looks like hard plastic.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 5 of 67, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) soft cover. Usually they are made for specific model.
https://www.datacal.com/p-498-cherry-ml4100-k … keys-cover.aspx
Each key under this type of cover should be pressed individually. Really soft keypresses, very handy thing. As you can see on photo it fixed by adhesive side in bottom.

Reply 6 of 67, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some alternative has arrived.

46.jpg 47.jpg
48.jpg 49.jpg
IBM/Toshiba 4820-1WD - TFT color POS monitor.
10.4", 800x600, 4:3 aspect ratio.
54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg
Unfortunately doesn't have yet monitor stand for it. Anyway looks not so bad i think.
51.jpg 52.jpg 53.jpg
With this monitor complete setup can be transported to nearest geek lanparty with any trivial street backpack. 😀

Sorry, forgot to make any photos in action.

Reply 10 of 67, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aren't the CPUs integrated into some of those STpcs basically Cyrix 5x86s running at 133MHz?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 67, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, those boards aren't exactly cheap.

Super cool little machine though! If only all our stuff had been so small back in the day. I can't begin to count how many times I carried my PC to a friends house for lan parties. Always went twice, one for the tower and one for the CRT.

Reply 12 of 67, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aleksej wrote:

Last seen on ebay was sold for about 45$ for used.

I bought that one, 🤣. Currently building one with a Pentium MMX 233MHz.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep looking for a nice mini crt like the one aleksej posted but nothing so far...
In an unrelated note I do have the Sertek S521 sound card that I bought recently - but mine is a version with ESS688 + real opl3 . Finding working ESS688 DOS drivers is quite a challenge though....

wfIkd57m.jpg

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Aren't the CPUs integrated into some of those STpcs basically Cyrix 5x86s running at 133MHz?

yeah something like that... there is also an ALi chipset that has a 386sx core inside so you can't see a discrete cpu on the board 🤣

Reply 14 of 67, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been looking on few sbc cards but some of them have a tl-5186 battery which just looks funny, any one know if its possible to change them to cr types ?

to be exact:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Advantech-PCA-6145B- … ksid=m570.l1313

And thinking about adding 256mb diskonchip for C:

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 15 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the PCA-6144V that had the same dead battery , I replaced it with a SHAFT LS14250 one , just wired an external holder and called it a day
http://uk.farnell.com/saft/ls14250/battery-li … dard/dp/1282760

Reply 16 of 67, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my and on one of the sbc boards on ebay for the haft price, it comes with a backplane but still need to find a nice small box to.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ktgAAOSwywRaD56J/s-l1600.jpg

Its a aton systemes sbc450 ciu04015-c now i just need to get the manual for it hehe

Also if some one knows, whats they power header up to the right for? powering without panel or extra power?

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 19 of 67, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seams to be hard to come by a good case when living in Sweden, most of the time the shipment has the same price tag or higher then the product and on top of that we have import charge if it isnt bought from EU.

Finally today i found a case that has been on ebay for a time which is a bit "higher" since it has a middle level between backplane and psu for harddrive, after looking at it for some time i notice it had a sbc and a 4 slot isa backplane in it and two other non intressting cards, so i got happy since im awating my 486 dx2 66 sbc.

After googling compare the image of the sbc that came with the box i notice it was a Advantech PCA-6751 😀 sure the case was a bit higher that i wanted but for $121.88 with shipment and import charge i cant be sad any more 😀

Now my plan will be try to find a case with pci and isa backplane and switch the pca-6751 with the 486 sbc so i can use the pca-6751 with a 3dfx card and still have two units that are as nice and beautiful as your system 😁

naa, nothing yet...