VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So Got a good deal on the fleabay and bought an IBM Aptivia Slot A board with Athlon 700, waiting on it to get here, but I've heard AMD Irongate has issues, which issues should i look out for you think

Reply 1 of 11, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sketchy USB. I just could not get it working on my Gigabyte board.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 11, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Irongate has been very reliable, my most reliable PC in fact (especially as I bought it for £15 from someone who claimed to have just found it in their attic). I haven't found any specific chipset drivers as such. I install USB from here, and then just "AGP slot" drivers (if using AGP) and "IDE drivers". My board is this MSI MS-6191. It is a RAM Slut and doesn't care what RAM goes in there, mix and match speeds, brands.

I've not had one issue that can be attributed to the chipset EXCEPT for it not supporting Thunderbird Slot A CPUs when the bios and chipset say it should... I've got a 800MHz first-gen athlon (forgot what they're called). I'm not a power user though, like, I haven't tried putting a 5950 Ultra or anything in there, so I don't know how well it goes when really pushed.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 5 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What graphics card you using, People trying to install their new and expensive graphics card caused the most problems back then.
Now that AGP is mature and dead its much easier picking the working combinations.
(its why Voodoo's were popular back then as really they are bridged PCI cards)

Reply 6 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I wont be doing this, the fleabay seller accidently listed it for sale, he claims now he didn't have one to sell at all

Reply 8 of 11, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just realised my board has Super Bypass and it has been disabled all this time! I might do some benchmarks with and without on my 4x Mx440 to see if it makes a big difference.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 9 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well ill be putting my voodoo 3 in this, move my GF3 to my P3, and put my Geforce 6600 256mb into my XP 2500

Reply 10 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AGP is a little flaky on AMD 750. Voodoo cards work fine of course. So does TNT. But the GeForce cards are another story and IIRC the NV driver forces them to AGP 1x. It's similar to what you see with Super 7 boards. AGP quirks are the only problem I've seen with K7M.

Reply 11 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

so using the voodoo 3 ill be fine, awesome. Oh I intend to use a live, does the 686A southbridge have the data corruption issue or just 686B paired with live