VOGONS

First post, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all! In my first post I decided to rebuild my Windows XP LAN party machine from the early 2000's. Since then I've pulled some parts out of storage and set up a Vista-era machine, but Vista still feels a little too modern, so I'm going to skip that one for now.

I don't remember many details about my family's first PC beyond it running Windows 95 and having an Ensoniq Soundscape sound card (don't know why that detail sticks in my memory), but our second was a Packard Bell Multimedia PC in that weird wedding-cake style case with a 233 MMX. I wasn't able to make any major upgrades beyond expanding the RAM because I was a poor teenager, so this meager system carried me all the way through high school until I finally built my Pentium 4 system around 2000. As a result, I skipped over a generation of PC hardware that a lot of people seem to love: The Pentium 3 / Voodoo era.

I was gifted a garment box full of random components a while back and in digging through them I found this 600EB Slot 1 Pentium 3 and an Asus branded TNT2 Vanta. So with those two things in hand I decided I'd start building something and here's where I'm at today on my extremely professional test bench:

IMG_4308_zpsckwzt4m3.jpg

IMG_4309_zpsfgmwnmsp.jpg

After some research, I went on the hunt for a 440BX motherboard. Unfortunately the options I found on eBay all seemed absurdly expensive (regularly $150+) for a system that I was, at best, building as a curiosity. Thankfully about a week ago a listing popped up for what I considered a more reasonable price and for $60 I got these:

- AOpen AX6B
- Celeron @ 300Mhz
- Mixed PC-100 SDRAM totaling 448MB

Right now the Pentium 3 is hanging out on top of the case because the board doesn't recognize it. The latest BIOS revision is 2.35 and this board is still on 1.2, so I've got some flashing to do. For the rest I added a 30GB Maxtor HDD and a CD drive that I had in storage. I bought a Gotek floppy emulator since I've never used one. I have a network card on order which produced a wonderful rush of nostalgia along with some period-appropriate beige peripherals all totaling about $30. The case actually came from my high school computer lab and was generously *ahem* donated to me when no one was looking. It's nothing special, but I've used it for a lot of builds over the years and its seems completely appropriate for this. The widescreen monitor is only temporary and I'm on the lookout for a decent CRT at my local Goodwill.

Lastly, I was originally going to go with a Sound Blaster Live! but since I have a few ISA slots and do plan to delve into DOS gaming (which I didn't do a whole lot of when I was a kid) I decided on a Yamaha ATC-6631 with a YMF719 chipset. I was hoping for an Audician 32 Plus, but I was getting impatient waiting for one to pop up on eBay so I got this instead. I read a few threads on here that seem to indicate that it's just as good of an option. I might mess around with some wavetable boards which I've never done, but ultimately I'm planning to pick up a Roland SC-55 or 88. Being a musician (violin) MIDI has always fascinated me, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I even heard about using external MIDI modules for gaming. (I missed most of the DOS era too... My family's first PC was in 1995 when I was around ten years old.) I plan on building a dedicated DOS machine in the future, but I'm happy to experiment on this system first.

Shockingly, everything worked the first time I turned it on and I'm installing Windows 98 as I type this, but I'm not ending here. Since I'm using a lot of this hardware for the first time I'm planning to experiment a bit with all the things I missed growing up. So far I'm thinking the final build will include, at the very least, the ubiquitous two Voodoo 2's in SLI. I've also read a lot of good things about Geforce 2's, so I might pick one up for when, I suspect, the frustration of getting the Voodoo cards to work properly sets in. I'll probably pick up a Pentium 2 to play around with and who knows, maybe I'll even throw in a SCSI card and see what that life's all about.

Cheers for now!

Last edited by gfh110 on 2018-09-07, 03:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Or, you can help me follow a time-honored tradition of throwing computer hardware at a software problem. -Ross Scott

Reply 2 of 3, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well here we are little over a month later and what was going to be my "anything goes" 98/DOS hybrid machine has now morphed predictably, as the title suggests, into a rather run-of-the-mill late 90's Voodoo-centric rig. Not that I'm complaining; far from it. More than my nostalgic XP Lan Party build, this project could almost classify as a joy to put together, if not for some unforeseen roadblocks. As I said, I never got to play with all this cool stuff when I was a teenager, so it's been mostly new experiences for me. Here's where I finally landed:

IMG_4389_zpsazamsjjx.jpg IMG_4388_zpseqbyfikm.jpg

I ended up keeping the AOpen motherboard, but replaced almost everything else:

Pentium III 800EB - Currently running at 100Mhz FSB for stability.
256MB PC-100
GeForce 2 GTS 32MB
Diamond Monster II 12MB Voodoo2 (SLI)
Yamaha ATC-6631 ISA (OPL-3SA)

Some generic optical drives, both Sony I think, fill out the drive bays along with a Sound Blaster Live Drive which is just for show at the moment. I'm planning to buy a Live! 5.1 in the near future, but for now I'm sticking with the Yamaha card because of its fantastic DOS compatibility and the wondrous sounds of the Roland SC-55 that I promised I'd get. More so than any other piece of hardware I've owned, this little marvel made delving back into DOS gaming something special. And I'm someone who generally turns music off in modern games for an immersion boost. And lastly, I picked up some classic beige peripherals from Microsoft and Altec Lansing to round everything out. Still waiting on a decent CRT to show up locally.

IMG_4391_zpstfcwxonn.jpg

Everything had been running decently. I can run the processor at full speeds, but this board doesn't seem to like PC-133 memory except in very specific configurations. For what I plan to be playing (Quake, 2, Unreal, older Glide titles) 600Mhz is fine. I received the Voodoo cards today (after playing chicken with the post office for over a week) and they set up fine using the FastVoodoo 4.6 package. Quake 2 seems to play fine right out of the gate, but I started getting some seriously odd behavior with Unreal and Unreal Tournament.

My first time running Unreal everything started up fine, but when I changed the resolution to 1024x768 I got a crash to black and a restart. Disabling V-sync seemed to fix that, but then I locked up about 30 seconds into the game. After another restart things seemed to straighten out and I played for about an hour. Then I jumped into The Unreal Tournament launcher and got a hard lock while it was detecting video devices. Then things got... weird.

I restarted, noticed Windows felt kind of sluggish, loaded UT again and got past the launcher, but the intro loop was running insanely slow and I couldn't ESC to bring up the menu. I managed to CTRL+ALT+DEL back to the desktop but the slowness followed me. It was like everything was moving at 1 FPS. I managed to restart and the slowness continued to the point where EVERYTHING was slowed down, including the text at the startup screen drawing one character at a time. Even in the BIOS things were moving at a snail's pace and I swear to god even the POST beep was drawn out 2-3 times longer than usual, and not because it was sounding an error. It was like the whole system was a 45 LP playing at 33 RPM.

Anyway, after a shut down and 5 minute rest, everything seems to be working fine again. I'll do a little stress testing this weekend and I have a handful of other CPU's and memory to swap around if need be. Who knows what gremlins lurk within?

Or, you can help me follow a time-honored tradition of throwing computer hardware at a software problem. -Ross Scott

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice setup.
BX based systems are just perfect for duel dos/Win9x gamng and I know what you mean about the SC55. I'm sure part of it is just watching its display do its thing but boy does it sound nice, even improving windows games like AOE that use midi