VOGONS

First post, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought I would make a post with my overview of the Compaq Presario 425. I have loved, and wanted, an all-on-one 486 machine for quite some time - that is, when my best friend got one... the Compaq Presario 425. It's cute, has decent-enough upgrade abilities, and runs Windows 3.1, something I've wanted on real hardware for a LONG time. I had been searching for a Windows 3.1 486 machine for a decent while, until I came across an auction on eBay with a Presario 433, which, I'm assuming you all know, is simply a 425 with a 33 MHz 486SX CPU. So, I placed a bid on it, won it, it got here... aaaand, due to poor packaging (and UPS being, well... UPS), it arrived with a broken CRT and a smashed front panel. So, after about a week of searching, I found a listing for a 425. I was sure to tell the seller about double boxing it (because I need to be reassured!). So, after approximately 6 days of anxiety... it arrived. I opened the box to find that the computer is in incredible shape. Plugged it in, and it boots into 3.1.

So, time for the overview.

The computer itself is built solid, and SUPER cute. You also have the benefit of it being an all-in-one, so it's easy to move and takes up as much space as a typical CRT monitor. Plus, all-in-ones are simply cool. 😀

As for specs, this particular 425 has 8 MB of RAM, and the i486DX2 50 MHz (Overdrive), but it was upgraded - originally, the 425 has 4 MB of RAM, an Intel 486SX 25 MHz CPU, and a Cirrus Logic onboard graphics chip (which is surprisingly good - and that's great, because that's the one thing I can't upgrade.)

The Presario 400 series takes its design form factor from the Macintosh computers of the time. Being an all-in-one isn't only convenient today - it was super convenient back in the day, because towers were often big and bulky - and that does not even count the monitor. This helped save space in schools, offices - and even at home.

The 425 series was marginally popular, and has room for upgrades as well, including a 33 MHz CPU upgrade for 425 machines (although I prefer the 50 MHz 486DX2 CPU in this as some games run better.) It has 2 ISA slots, and 2 RAM slots (and in my case, there's an extra 4 MB in the first slot.)

The keyboard and mouse pair the 400 series came with back in the day, is actually pretty good. It is a rubber dome keyboard, but it is satisfyingly clicky, however the mouse has poor tracking and has an odd shape. The mouse's aesthetic closely resembles the aesthetic of the 425 unit itself. (Also, its shape reminds me of a Volkswagen Beetle - so I call it the "Beetle mouse" 😜 )

As for the built in monitor, it is very nice and sharp. Being 60hz-only under Windows, it does tend to get a bit eye-straining at times, but this is to be expected with any CRT monitor, generally. It has three adjustments, located just underneath the screen jet-out - horizontal position, brightness, and contrast. I'm not sure who manufactures the picture tubes on these things - if you know, drop a reply, but I will probbaly be checking on the busted 433. (edit: The monitors and power supplies in the majority of these machines appear to be made by Philips.)

Overall, it's a super cute computer. If they were easier to find (especially this variant with the silver/gold Compaq logo), I'd totally recommend you find one and upgrade it. They're cute, convenient, and overall are my favorite 486 machines.

One more thing. This post was typed in Notepad on my Presario 425, copied over via floppy to my modern PC. I've attached a screenshot. 😀
(I pressed Alt + printscreen, and copied it into Paintbrush, so there is a white border around it, as it only captures the active window and not the entire screen. I also opened it in Paint on Windows 7 and saved it as a PNG so I could upload it)

Had to edit: I didn't know this machine had an Overdrive i486DX2 50 Mhz at the time I wrote this post, so I edited that in. Also, the original Compaq mouse is actually not very good. 🤣

Attachments

• SCROT01.png
    Filename
    SCROT01.png
    File size
    19.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Ultrax on 2019-04-29, 23:33. Edited 6 times in total.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 1 of 19, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can only agree that the presario 425,433 are nice 😀

I to bought one from some one that couldn’t pack well and ended up whit computer in 1000 parts.
They think one booble wrap was good in a box which had no empty room on any sides.

Finally I found one in Italy that i asked for fedex or equal to pack it since they know how, which arrive in one piece. (425)

1 year later I at last found one here in Sweden which had the Swedish keyboard and installation disks (433).

Both of my presarios are upgraded to 20mb (4mb is built in) memory and compact flash disk,one has overdrive dx4 100 and the other one dx4 75.

I did try paralleled cdrom but it was to slow hehe so I upgraded to scsi cd instead 😀

Now I just turn them on time to time and use another one for playing games since some games required faster computer 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 19, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I also have a Presario 425. But I have a problem. I want to expand it with a dx4 to 100mhz, but the system becomes unstable. Can you tell me how you put the jumpers in your presario with a 100mhz dx4? Have you had to do anything else, apart from changing the processor and changing the jumpers? Thank you.

Last edited by Perro on 2019-03-19, 10:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 19, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

As for the built in monitor, it is very nice and sharp. Being 60hz and 60hz only though, it does tend to get a bit eye-straining at times, but this is to be expected with any CRT monitor, generally.

Are you sure about this? Because wouldn't this mean that it couldn't display most dos games?

I was under the impression that almost every dos game runs at 70 Hz and I'm pretty susceptible to flicker and I don't notice any in pure dos.

Reply 4 of 19, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've literally sold my 433 this weekend. Yes, it looks really cool, but it's just too limited for me. 2 ISA slots (and I need at least three), no L2 cache, no support for 3v CPUs.

I've even got a Backpack LPT CD-ROM and a dedicated COM/LPT controller that supports ECP/EPP (so around 2-2.5 MB/s instead of 150 KB/s or so), but that takes up an entire ISA slot.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 19, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wondering if CD-Rom drives are really worth it! I guess if one insists on running games off the original media.

I have one laptop with a CD drive for the odd game with CD-Audio that only runs in dos mode and for everything else I use virtual drives.

Reply 6 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:

I've been wondering if CD-Rom drives are really worth it! I guess if one insists on running games off the original media.

I have one laptop with a CD drive for the odd game with CD-Audio that only runs in dos mode and for everything else I use virtual drives.

for a 486 it's more convince then necessary but these days with large HDD's and networking you can get away without a CD drive. The one in my Dx2/66 died and being a Panasonic interface I Don't have much hope of replacing it.
Once I copied the DOS/Win9x install files and enough drivers to get the network up and running to a "recovery partition" your all set.

Its the later games that want more then a 486 that benefit form a drive.

Reply 7 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
henryVK wrote:
Ultrax wrote:

As for the built in monitor, it is very nice and sharp. Being 60hz and 60hz only though, it does tend to get a bit eye-straining at times, but this is to be expected with any CRT monitor, generally.

Are you sure about this? Because wouldn't this mean that it couldn't display most dos games?

I was under the impression that almost every dos game runs at 70 Hz and I'm pretty susceptible to flicker and I don't notice any in pure dos.

Hi, I guess Ultrax meant that the monitor couldn't go beyond the usual standard VGA-Frequency of 60Hz (no 75Hz, 85Hz etc), as used by Windows.
Surely it should be able of 70Hz in low-res graphics modes (CGA resolutions such as 320x200 and 200/400 lines modes.
Even EGA, since that's 350 in a 400 frame) and DOS text-mode (720x400).

Strictly speaking, though, an old-style "fixed-frequency" monitor could also run on slightly odd Frequencies,
depending on the other parameters. Afaik, some of the early Paradise VGA utilies (3rd party ?) did set an almost 800x600 mode.

Here's what the readme file of tweak says:

TWEAK makes it possible to run Windows 3.0 with 800x600 resolution with standard VGA cards, that are fully compatibl […]
Show full quote

TWEAK makes it possible to run Windows 3.0 with 800x600
resolution with standard VGA cards, that are fully compatible with IBM cards.
[..]
By default, TWEAK actually only shows 800x564 pixels on
screen, since most monitors cannot handle the extremely slow
refresh rate that 800x600 causes. If you still want to try
800x600 mode, you can do that by including the commented
register values and by commenting out the used values.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 19, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:
Ultrax wrote:

Ah! I think you're right. I now believe that Windows is only 60 Hz, and DOS games are 70 due to their resolution, as Jo22 pointed out.
I do notice more flicker in Windows than I do, in, say, Wolfenstein 3D. However, when I launch The Incredible Machine, which is either 640x480 or 800x600, I do notice more flicker.

Ultrax
__

Reply 9 of 19, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

I've literally sold my 433 this weekend. Yes, it looks really cool, but it's just too limited for me. 2 ISA slots (and I need at least three), no L2 cache, no support for 3v CPUs.

I've even got a Backpack LPT CD-ROM and a dedicated COM/LPT controller that supports ECP/EPP (so around 2-2.5 MB/s instead of 150 KB/s or so), but that takes up an entire ISA slot.

They are kind of limited, though for me, it's strictly just enough. I only need two ISA slots in a normal 486 battlestation. I guess you could say that you sacrifice some things (such as L2 and 3V CPUs) for the machine being a very small, very compact all-in-one unit. Thankfully, it's just enough to make a period-accurate DX2 PC (like mine is, with its 50 MHz DX2) 😀

And as for everyone else talking about CD-ROM... since I have a closed (offline) network for my XP machines, and I've recently installed WFW on it, I might as well have my 425 tap into it once I get a NIC. Then, I can transfer files easily. I opted to this over CD-ROM because not only is it cooler, but it's more convenient. I wouldn't have to use up an entire CD-R, or have to mod a Backpack drive with a CD-RW compatible drive.

Ultrax
__

Reply 10 of 19, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultrax wrote:

Ah! I think you're right. I now believe that Windows is only 60 Hz, and DOS games are 70 due to their resolution, as Jo22 pointed out.
I do notice more flicker in Windows than I do, in, say, Wolfenstein 3D. However, when I launch The Incredible Machine, which is either 640x480 or 800x600, I do notice more flicker.

Alright, that's what I thought. Most graphics cards (or drivers rather) allow you to adjust the refresh rate in the Win95 "display properties" menu 😉

http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/986a.htm

Reply 11 of 19, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I edited the post to correct that (as well as the monitor manufacturer, turned out to be Philips). In doing so, I mistakenly clicked the quote button, and made a new post quoting the entire original post. Oops 😜

Looking at the link you posted, and at the images, I realized that not a lot changed between the 95 and XP screen resolution (or Display) menu. I guess there wasn't a need, but kind of interesting to see. 😀

Ultrax
__

Reply 12 of 19, by Elanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Perro wrote:

Hi. I also have a Presario 425. But I have a problem. I want to expand it with a dx4 to 100mhz, but the system becomes unstable. Can you tell me how you put the jumpers in your presario with a 100mhz dx4? Have you had to do anything else, apart from changing the processor and changing the jumpers? Thank you.

Hi, I have a Presario 433 upgraded twith a DX4-100 if you still need the info I can send a picture of the configuration Im using.

Reply 13 of 19, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Elanus wrote:
Perro wrote:

Hi, I have a Presario 433 upgraded twith a DX4-100 if you still need the info I can send a picture of the configuration Im using.

Yes, please.

Reply 15 of 19, by Elanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Perro wrote:
Elanus wrote:
Perro wrote:

Yes, please.

Hi sorry for this late update

Here is an image of my system mainboard

LRM_20190427_093604.jpg
Filename
LRM_20190427_093604.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license

CPU cooler

LRM_20190427_093742.jpg
Filename
LRM_20190427_093742.jpg
File size
612.23 KiB
Views
File license

P1: 2-3 (33 Mhz)

LRM_20190427_092445.jpg
Filename
LRM_20190427_092445.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

P2: 2-3 (PGA)

LRM_20190427_093120.jpg
Filename
LRM_20190427_093120.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

P3: 1-2 (ODR/ODPR)
P4: 1-2 (ODR/ODPR)
P5: 1-2 (ODPR)

LRM_20190427_093232.jpg
Filename
LRM_20190427_093232.jpg
File size
908.08 KiB
Views
File license

My system runs very stable

Reply 18 of 19, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Presario 425 uses a 486 dx4-100 ODPR - it is hot, but that should be within specs for that CPU. The ODPR variant regulates the current so that it becomes the expected higher voltage number.

Reply 19 of 19, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah I just got one of these myself - didn't POST due to a dead fan, so I had to pull the whole thing apart. Works pretty well, stuck a CS4237 and a NIC in it as well as an ODPR 66Mhz CPU and an 850 Mb hard disk and we're off to the races. Didn't even struggle with the BIOS that hard, as is the usual case with older Compaqs.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!