VOGONS

First post, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Yesterday I went to a computer store to buy thermal pads.

After paying, I asked them if they had any old computer going to the trash and they gave me this strange laptop:

Leo Cedar 1.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 1.jpg
File size
125.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Leo Cedar 2.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 2.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

Inside it says 'LEO' (I don't know if 'LEO' is the brand or something else) and it has a logo similar to Peugeot's logo:

Leo Cedar 5.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 5.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

On the bottom there are several labels, one of them says it's a model 'CEDAR':

Leo Cedar 3.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 3.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Leo Cedar 4.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 4.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license

I can't find any information online (besides a similar laptop on ebay and another similar laptop on youtube).

I haven't test it yet, because I don't know what's the power rating. One of the stickers on the bottom says '9-30Vdc, 5-1.5A', but I can't decipher this information. Should I use 9V or 30 V? 5 A or 1.5A? Center tip positive? If anyone can help I would appreciate.

Also, anyone that knows more about this brand/model, or anyone that has drivers, manuals, anything, please let me know.

Thank you.

EDIT: changed title of this thread to add a more correct name of this laptop.

Last edited by peido on 2018-08-31, 13:05. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

based on the FCC ID it's a laptop made by FIC in 2002: https://fccid.io/EUN

And this post identifies it as a FIC 5220CDT: https://www.treiber.de/forum/thema/21317/Bios-FIC-5220CDT/

More info: F.I.C. DESIGNote 5220CDT Pentium MMX, 32MB RAM https://picclick.co.uk/FIC-DESIGNote-5220CDT- … 3402979141.html

There's also a PDF about it here: ftp://ftp.algo-hk.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.fic.com.tw/n … AQ/faqs5200.PDF but I can't access it because FTP is blocked in my current location.

Happy searches. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peido wrote:

I haven't test it yet, because I don't know what's the power rating. One of the stickers on the bottom says '9-30Vdc, 5-1.5A', but I can't decipher this information. Should I use 9V or 30 V? 5 A or 1.5A? Center tip positive?

A wide range of voltages, with correspondingly lower amp requirements as voltage increases (5A at 9V, 1.5A at 30V, which is the same nominal 45VA. At 10V it may draw 4.5A; at 25V it may draw 1.8A). The polarity may be shown at the power jack itself, embossed in the plastic.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 3 of 5, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much to both of you, you really helped me 😀

stamasd wrote:

based on the FCC ID

I did not know I could search the FCC ID to find out more about a computer, always learning.
Looks like F. I. C. stands for First International Computer.

AlaricD wrote:

A wide range of voltages, with correspondingly lower amp requirements as voltage increases (5A at 9V, 1.5A at 30V, which is the same nominal 45VA. At 10V it may draw 4.5A; at 25V it may draw 1.8A). The polarity may be shown at the power jack itself, embossed in the plastic.

I tried 19V (can't remember A, but it was enough), the polarity wasn't shown so I chanced centre tip positive and it worked.

Leo Cedar 6.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 6.jpg
File size
164.01 KiB
Views
File license

It has Windows 98:

Leo Cedar 7.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 7.jpg
File size
145.67 KiB
Views
File license

But looks like the HDD has problems, it stopped in the AntiVirus before starting Windows:

Leo Cedar 8.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 8.jpg
File size
201.89 KiB
Views
File license

I'll try to make an image of the HDD (to save any drivers or software related to this laptop), then I'll try to find what's wrong with the HDD.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy that it works.

It has one of those horrible BIOS/CMOS batteries, it started leaking and doing nasty stuff:

Leo Cedar 9.jpg
Filename
Leo Cedar 9.jpg
File size
145.55 KiB
Views
File license

I removed it before doing more damage. More information in Warning: Leaking BIOS/CMOS/Resume Batteries Damaging Laptops.

The screen hinges are also broken, I'll try to find a solution to that.

Reply 4 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peido wrote:

You're welcome!

I tried 19V (can't remember A, but it was enough), the polarity wasn't shown so I chanced centre tip positive and it worked.

So, it should use about 2.37A at that voltage. Guess the 50/50 chance paid off (I'd hazard to say that pin-positive would have been the default just because that helps keep the + side from being exposed on the barrel plug).

But looks like the HDD has problems, it stopped in the AntiVirus before starting Windows:

At least it found 0 viruses!

Looks like you're on your way to some retrocomputing satisfaction!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 5 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
peido wrote:

stamasd wrote:

based on the FCC ID

I did not know I could search the FCC ID to find out more about a computer, always learning.

Searching by FCC ID is key to identifying many kinds of hardware. Have an unknown card, drive etc? The FCC ID will at least give you an idea of the manufacturer and type of device so you can narrow further searches.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O