HP Kayak XU

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
It‘s true. And a red led light when the sad face is displayed. Maybe it was designed to be friendly to people with hearing disab […]
Show full quote

It‘s true. And a red led light when the sad face is displayed.
Maybe it was designed to be friendly to people with hearing disabilities. ( deaf ).
Or when in a loud place or a place with allot of noise or when someone has headphones on.
That would make sense since this computer runs loud with all the fans going.

Meant to evoke an association with PA-RISC gear?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GordonFreeman wrote:

Huh... interesting. Could you show a picture of what it looks like normally when the system is running?

It’s stored deep in my garage right now and I am to lazy to take it out.
Sorry. It’s winter, raining, and cold right now. Maybe in the summer.

Reply 22 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

This looks like a workstation version of the Netserver LC3, though the LC3 lacks an AGP port. (The Netserver E60 has an AGP port, but lacks VRM slots.)

Kind of, these where in service at the same time as the Netserver LC.
They are both loud computers that run NT4.0

Attachments

Reply 23 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

Do you still have the CPU fan and shroud for it?
Could you take a picture of them?

Thank you 😀

If you need a fan shroud and cpu duct ( parts 89a and 89b ) . I would forget about trying to 3D print one.
Just add a fan to the rear of case and add heat sinks with fans to you cpu’s.

Blow the air out the back of the case.

Reply 24 of 27, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My HP Kayak motherboards are made in Singapore and Malaysia.

HP use to have really great warranty support if anything ever went wrong with these computers all I had to do was call there customer support and they would ship me out a new part with out question.
No questions asked.

That’s why I really liked HP computers. Great support.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-07-05, 19:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 27, by wanzerr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2019-03-05, 19:47:
My HP Kayak motherboards are made in Singapore and Malaysia. […]
Show full quote

HP use to have really great warranty support if anything ever went wrong with these computers all I had to do was call there customer support and they would ship me out a new part with out prejudice.
No questions asked.

Trying to resurrect this thread, having a CPU socket post error 0401 on my recently cleaned and reassembled Kayak XU. The single VRM module doesn't appear damaged and the Pentium II slotted back in with no dust or apparent damage. Any ideas? Haven't been able to successfully google a post code or beep code chart, and physically checking the connections is no dice.

Reply 26 of 27, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wanzerr wrote on 2022-07-04, 17:37:
Show full quote

HP use to have really great warranty support if anything ever went wrong with these computers all I had to do was call there customer support and they would ship me out a new part with out prejudice.
No questions asked.

Trying to resurrect this thread, having a CPU socket post error 0401 on my recently cleaned and reassembled Kayak XU. The single VRM module doesn't appear damaged and the Pentium II slotted back in with no dust or apparent damage. Any ideas? Haven't been able to successfully google a post code or beep code chart, and physically checking the connections is no dice.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

That's listed in the HW monitoring manual as - 0401h CD-ROM not detected (but configured in CMOS) CD-ROM Error

Filename
Manual.pdf
File size
488.47 KiB
Downloads
33 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 27, by wanzerr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-07-04, 23:57:
Welcome to Vogons :) […]
Show full quote
wanzerr wrote on 2022-07-04, 17:37:
Show full quote

No questions asked.

Welcome to Vogons 😀

That's listed in the HW monitoring manual as - 0401h CD-ROM not detected (but configured in CMOS) CD-ROM Error

Manual.pdf

Thanks for the heads up! Had to re-insert the extra CPU spacer card in the second slot, and installed two 256MB ECC dimms, running like a champ. Will likely start a new thread with all the specs.