VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First of all lat me say that aleksej inspired whit is post: "[WIP] Midget Riot: 486 PC in booksize industrial case." [WIP] Midget Riot: 486 PC in booksize industrial case.

So i started to google the sh*t out of ebay for reasonable price ( since i live in sweded and most part was in us the shipping price was a nightmare ) for something equal to aleksej setup since.. ye its space saving 😀

I ended up first geting a 486 sbc with AT backplane which the shipping price was reasonable since it was from greece and tought sure i can try to find a small case with backplane later on.

After a while i found something called Eaton Cutler Hammer NETLINK ( ye i bought all 3 netlink ebay had give by giving the sellers 50%+ less of the price they where asking for, which they all accepted 😀 ), which basicly is a industrial network pc which eaton has config to be a connection to ups's com interface. Problebly the way to go at that time when network interface wasnt a "thing" on ups..?

The inside didnt really intrest me that much after i recived a sbc that needed to be hard configured to resolution and made it hard to work with dos game in diffrent resolutions.

In between whit wast of money on many sbc/industrial pc stuff i found something called "Boser HS5210 HS-5210 Half Sized Socket 7 Extended ISA SBC" ( after aleksej told me that the other boards cant communicate with pci which i was a tard to understand at first 😉 )

So my journey started to find a backplane which could fit the industrial case from eaton that i already had laying around.
Finally i found one whit reasonable price from uk: Kontron PISA-2P3I4 5 Slot PISA Backplane (non RoHS), RoHS who needs that on backplane? 😜 The backplane gives me 2 pisa, 2 pci and one isa, and that is problebly everything needed to insert a 200 mmx with Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 and a orchid righteous 3dfx pci card, and ye i had to have a ide to cf for now, will problebly use a ide to sata with ssd disk later on. Also changed two of the fans to Noctua of course ( cpu fan to be changed to one also ).

And ending up with following result:

3dfx card to choose from:
IMG_0038.jpg

SBC:
IMG_0039.jpg

Backplane:
IMG_0040.jpg

Front:
IMG_0044.jpg

Front fan:
IMG_0041.jpg

Front, size matters:
IMG_0047.jpg

Back fan:
IMG_0043.jpg

Left side of case:
IMG_0042.jpg

Right side with air flow mounts:
IMG_0046.jpg

To do is to:
* check temperature 😉
* clean the case from stickers like windows embeded, netlink and so on.
* add hd led, reset button

And ye still waiting for my sound card to arrive any day now.... big shout-out to schenker for trying to for 3 weeks now....

Last edited by tabm0de on 2018-09-05, 19:08. Edited 3 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 7, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

this is an eisa sbc and backplane? benchies please?

Never done benchies so please tell if you want any specific, here is one.

E02_BFE1_A_F04_E_490_D_9_F70_2759_BD23_A1_C0.jpg

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 6 of 7, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

very nice!!!

Thanks 😀

aleksej wrote:

Cool!

Why there is two "PISA" slots? You may use two PCI and one ISA card at one time, right? We will see some photos of 3dfx glory in action? 😉

Hehe im unsure why there is two pisa/extended isa or what ever it should be called 😀 another board i found on ebay was almoste the same but with one pci slot, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AAEON-BP-204PSA-Us … 3.c100033.m2042

My board also has "cpupisa1/2" labled on the slots, sadly since there is no room left i cant try two pci at once because the sbc takes alot of room with memory/cpu fan 😉

Im cleaning up the case alitel and need to do some temperature test and then i will put up a video of 3dfx in action 😀

naa, nothing yet...