VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought I might do a build with the boards I got recently - an Totem TM-586TX4 and a unknown SiS 486DX-50 board.

The 486DX will have to wait, as I don't have a GPU, RTC slot and PSU to test it.

Meanwhile, I did a bench build (if you can call this bench, 🤣) with the Totem 430TX board. Here are the specs:

MB: Totem TM-586TX4 Rev2.1
CPU: Intel Pentium-S 166MHz (FV80502166) Socket 7
RAM:128MB PC133 SDR (might go back to 64 once I can find a good stick as the only one I could find atm gives a "Memory test error" message on POST)
GPU: ATI 3D RageII+DVD 2MB
NIC: RTL8139D PCI
Sound: SB16 VALUE CT2770 ISA (non-PnP)
HDD: Maxtor 83240D3 3.2GB IDE
ODD: Hitachi-LG GSA-4167B DVD-RW (went with it as my CD-RW drives seem to show problems reading)
PSU: Frontier LC-B400ATX (recapped and enhanced with various parts I had) - I use this because I don't have an AT PSU (hence why I can't test the 486DX)

Finally, a few shots.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a Seagate drive as the Maxtor drives in the early 2000's were the old Quantum Fireball designs (when they bought out Quantum). I have a 60GB Maxtor HDD from 2001 that I got new at a thrift store and that HDD is pretty darn fast, even Windows 98SE chugs along without issues (fast and efficient).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disregard that Seagate drive. The Maxtor is under that DVD drive.

I used the Seagate drive temporarily to copy the 98SE files and the drivers for the NIC. It does really use the Maxtor drive.

By the way, that Maxtor drive is from 1998, so no big chances of it being a Fireball. (I do have a 15GB Quantum Fireball)

Reply 4 of 14, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

I used the Seagate drive temporarily to copy the 98SE files and the drivers for the NIC. It does really use the Maxtor drive.

By the way, that Maxtor drive is from 1998, so no big chances of it being a Fireball. (I do have a 15GB Quantum Fireball)

Oh, I got that. Even by the picture alone I know that was a Seagate drive on top of that DVD drive. Good to know you were temporarily using two hard drives on that system.

That backwards ATI logo (on the 2nd photo). 🤣

Reply 5 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

Oh, I got that. Even by the picture alone I know that was a Seagate drive on top of that DVD drive. Good to know you were temporarily using two hard drives on that system.

That backwards ATI logo (on the 2nd photo). 🤣

Yeah, that is a 10GB Seagate that came from SS7 configuration that I replaced with a PIII Slot1. It has 98SE w/NUSB and KernelEX, and Firefox 2, and that's about it.

About the GPU - that's one of the ATi cards that was said to have a animated logo 😁

Not sure if it can play 3D games (2MB VRAM) but I'll give it a shot sometime.

Reply 6 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update:

Replaced the Maxtor drive with the 10GB Seagate drive. For some reason, the Maxtor drive was really slow, taking a lot of time to browse pages, and dragging windows around was generally slow.

I replaced it with the 10GB Seagate and things are now much better. It runs faster, and I suppose it might be because the Maxtor has less cache than the Seagate.

Attachments

• p166mhz.png
    Filename
    p166mhz.png
    File size
    394.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^That sounds a bit odd... storage shouldn't affect graphics redraw generally. I'd wager there's something wrong with the Maxtor (which indeed is a "legit" Maxtor, to reply to the previous discussion) or there is some sort of incompatibility between it and your MB, rather than it having anything to do with the HDD cache and/or amount of it.

Also, nice wallpaper ;p

Reply 8 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SW-SSG wrote:

^That sounds a bit odd... storage shouldn't affect graphics redraw generally. I'd wager there's something wrong with the Maxtor (which indeed is a "legit" Maxtor, to reply to the previous discussion) or there is some sort of incompatibility between it and your MB, rather than it having anything to do with the HDD cache and/or amount of it.

Also, nice wallpaper ;p

It could be kind of possible, as the BIOS strangely reports the drive as a 495MB drive, while 98SE sees the whole 3.2GB. (3.1GB actually)

I did had a Seagate ST3850A get corrupted everytime I would plug it in this motherboard but work fine on other boards (tested with a MVP3 and a i440BX board). What would happen is the FAT would get corrupted, resulting in "Invalid system disk".

Thanks 😀 got the wallpaper from some old website that has themes for 98SE. Will dig it up when I can and post it, but it requires you to know a bit of FTP as the DL links are mismatched.

Reply 9 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update: have replaced the Pentium 166 for a Cyrix 6x86-P133+GP 110MHz.

I am amazed at how fast it is honestly. For 110MHz, I could not notice any difference to the P166.

Reply 10 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Quick update: have replaced the Pentium 166 for a Cyrix 6x86-P133+GP 110MHz.

I am amazed at how fast it is honestly. For 110MHz, I could not notice any difference to the P166.

It's great for desktop use, but I dare you to run Quake on it. 😎

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 14, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Cyrix should be about equal to a P133 in most integer-based workloads (hence the "P133+" PR rating). However, run something FPU-intensive or Pentium optimized on it and watch it c r a w l . It would probably barely match a P75.

Reply 13 of 14, by flecom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:

Thanks 😀 got the wallpaper from some old website that has themes for 98SE. Will dig it up when I can and post it, but it requires you to know a bit of FTP as the DL links are mismatched.

that was my wallpaper for years back in the day...

newimac.jpg

Reply 14 of 14, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flecom wrote:
that was my wallpaper for years back in the day... […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:

that was my wallpaper for years back in the day...

newimac.jpg

It came with the theme, although a deeper search revealed a resized one just good for my monitor.(1024x768)

I chose not to use the funny sounds it comes bundled with, and instead opted for using the usual Windows 98/More Windows sounds and cursors.

I can pack it up and post it here if you're interested, complete with the "More Windows" cursors and sounds.