VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I bought an AT case that has never been used its just been sitting in the guy I bought it from in his storage, it came with everything a new case does like a box of bits and pieces, and new power cord and a new power supply. He only wanted $50 and he threw in a couple of old PCs and AT power supplies and some other stuff. Here are some pictures below, im not sure what im going to put in this case yet but it should be a 486 with a turbo setting as the case has a 88 digit turbo with the letters "MHZ" next to them! so you would see "66MHZ". The front case has a sliding panel to get access to the turbo and reset buttons and the power button is a part of the black see through plastic - very nice. Let me know what you think of this case and if you recognise it as there is no name on it.

01_zpsd9eopmsd.jpg

02_zpsdyck56wr.jpg

03_zpsaj5eukrl.jpg

04_zpsazlem4ip.jpg

05_zpsg3l6ac4k.jpg

06_zpsyafhqrar.jpg

07_zpsv0urhxpe.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

... it should be a 486 with a turbo setting as the case has a 88 digit turbo with the letters "MHZ" next to them! ...

That, or just use hexadecimal. Even "233" would be "E9". ;p

Case looks nice; I'll assume there is a mount for a single 3.5" HDD beneath the PSU.

Reply 3 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have noticed that the power switch has a green wire with a round wire end that is not screwed to the case body as far as I know its for an earth but does it really need to be connected?

Reply 4 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Odd, I just realized the chassis seems to not have bays for even one 3.5" FDD. That's a bit limiting... you've only got the two 5.25" bays to use for FDDs and/or ODDs.

Also there are only six (as opposed to the maximum of eight) expansion slots exposed... though that might be less of a problem than the above for most builds; already there are holes to put the RS232 9-pin and LPT connectors.

GabrielKnight123 wrote:

I have noticed that the power switch has a green wire with a round wire end that is not screwed to the case body as far as I know its for an earth but does it really need to be connected?

Probably for grounding, indeed. The PSU should be grounded already through its AC cord but I would attach the green wire to something anyway (probably one of the screws mounting an HDD in the bay behind the power switch).

Reply 6 of 6, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the lack of 3.5" bays, this would be a decent situation to use one of those 5.25"/3.5" Combo drives, along with an ODD. Would look and work well, assuming you can find one working.