VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had my trusty Slot A PC for a while, but it's been packed away to make room for various project PCs. I decided to get it out as I was getting bored with the slowness of my project P3 450MHz.

I ordered a CF card adapter and card for it as I have had a lot of problems with harddrives and IDE cables - somehow I had managed to run out of 80 ribben IDE cables (which I didn't think was posible?) and using a few old 40 ribben I was having slave/master problems. Also my harddrives were getting noisy.

Without the need for 3.25 bays I could use a new case. I could really do with a black IDE CD Drive though!

3ZOjjqyh.jpg
4rPrCmRh.jpg
WQyBL33h.jpg
MYZ1EwBh.jpg

It's a Slot Athlon 800MHz (Pluto core)
MS-6191 with an Irongate 750 chipset
384MB RAM
MX440
SB Live!
8GB 60m/s CF card with a £5 adapter from China. I must say I am now converted to using CF cards - it's very responsive in terms of access times (even if load times for games are still long, limited by the CPU I assume).

I've dumped my DOS game collection onto it and enjoying the 'delights' of my SB Live!; pretty crappy Soundblaster support but General MIDI at least sounds nice.

It can even run Morrowind!
FCIKxCIh.jpg

Oh, you want me to go outside?
xGrDeIlh.jpg

Yeah It runs very poorly for a PC quite a bit above the minimumr requirements, at 640*480!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 3, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool stuff! Yeah, you definitely need a black CD drive though. 😜

The old AMD Duron 800Mhz PC my brother and I had when we were younger ran Morrowind very similarly. And yet we played through the entire game that way. I've basically re-built this PC of ours this past year (only missing an equivalent case to the one we had) and, just like you, I installed Morrowind on it and had an immediate "how the heck did we ever play through the entire game like this!?" reaction 🤣.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah shame, initial impressions of my Slot A were not great, was kind of hoping it was the AMD-751 Northbridge / VT82C686A Southbridge combination to blame.
Still not done with that PC, just need some time to tweak it as still new to Slot A and AMD as a whole

No matter what Slot A is still interesting and pretty rare now, plus was LGR's Win98 PC till only recently that's bonus cool points right?

Reply 3 of 3, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I was a bit sad when he said he was dumping his Athlon in that Windows 98 PC build! I thought I'd found a fellow believer 😁

To be fair I haven't had any problems with my board other than it not supporting my 700MHz thunderbird CPU which in theory it should. Its been my go-go build, not really looked after just bung it in a case and turn it on and it's always worked. Never had driver issues with it either.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC