VOGONS

First post, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Current Progress (18/10/19):

Updated project aims in the OP to reflect changing goals.

I can't catch a break and the PSU died. Here's updated build pics.

WTzilO4l.jpgQcCa8eWl.jpg
ohJ9Dldl.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Current Setup "Value" (Retail price as gathered from old magazines, converted to AUD using historical values with inflation accounted for):

~95-97: $11,310.88 AUD (Magazine sources vary by hardware age).

With inflation accounted for:

2019: $20,177.04 AUD

Not Included: Storage Drives, CPU Cooler, PSU, Case, Mouse, Keyboard, Modern components.

---------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Build time! 😁

Build Background

Anticipating a successful build with my Ipex project, which ultimately failed due to a bad motherboard, I've decided to go ahead and build something else similar, but completely different.

Having sold off a lot of my hardware recently for downsizing for an upcoming move, having a DOS & 95 machine is quite important to me.

This build will be comprised of hardware from 3 major sources, in addition to hardware I already owned :-

• Hardware from the defunct family business
  • Hardware purchased on my trip to Shenzhen & Hong Kong
  • Hardware purchased for the Ipex build

The Project Brief

Hardware wise, I'm keeping it as early to mid-ish 90's accurate as possible. I am not restraining myself to any particular hardware or period, but rather what I like. This provides me a bit more freedom than the Ipex project, but still keeps it within the DOS/95 scope. There are two major exceptions to this - storage and power supply.

Like the Ipex build, it'll have all sorts of fun peripherals. All of which play an important part in the project overall! An SC-55, an MT-32, a dot matrix printer, an ESP8266 cased inside a dead US Robotics Sportster 14.4k for a Hayes compatible WiFi modem, a real modem for Dial Up simulation (see this post), and whatever else I find amusing.

Unlike the Ipex build, it will have a lot more storage, a lot more software and a lot more exciting uses.

One solid rule I'm setting for myself is that after it's built and running, any modifications or hardware changes I want to do will have to be planned on this machine. That probably means fun time in awfully slow CAD packages... 🤣

So what's the whole "Internet" deal?

These are long-term plans after I move and after the build is complete, though testing has already been done and shown it to be feasible enough.

My personal blog, with a twist.

I've wanted to run a blog for awhile to document stupid projects I do. The website will (mostly) be developed on this system. I've written a lot of the CMS & back-end already, but it's the front-end that really needs work. It's nothing special feature wise, but the plan is to have three separate front ends.

• A plain-text, terminal and console compatible format. Fully developed on-machine.
  • A ~'97 style HTML/CSS/(basically)zero JS front-end. Fully developed on-machine using era appropriate software and standards. I've used Wayback Machine as a reference point for some of my favourite old sites as a refresher on what did and did not exist, and how things were and were not laid out.
  • Modern front-end. Developed on main PC. Scrapped. Everyone on a browser will get the HTML 2.0 version. 😎

It auto-detects and serves appropriately based on user agent and how it's requested, and will fallback to HTML 2.0 if unknown.

9NBNKyt.png

The backend is a custom written PHP 7.1 flat-file CMS. The front-end is similar to what's shown above. Graphics are done in Photoshop 4.0, most layout and code was written in UltraEdit with some Notepad++ on my main PC thrown in here and there just for modern PHP syntax highlighting.

All content will be written & published from this PC. Photos will be taken with some of my early digital cameras, probably my Mavica FD71.

Next up is...

Streaming!

No. I'm not streaming from the PC. Just streaming what I do on the PC. Nothing too special. Playing games. Working on stuff. Streaming will obviously be handled by another PC. But hey, a bit of fun. Will likely use some of my older video cameras or webcam as a webcam, and microphones as a microphone. Maybe a fun DOS-themed layout. Who knows. Beats streaming DOS games from an emulator though.

The Hardware (Last Updated 18/10/19)

With that out of the way, let's talk about the hardware. I've got pretty much all of it on hand. There's just a few minor decisions left to make. Hardware source indicated in brackets.

Wish/Hunt List!:
ISA Image Capture Card: Canopus V-Port Pro
HDD Caddy 3: Promise SuperSwap 1000 (Alt. Promise FastSwap 66)
HDD Caddy 4: Promise SuperSwap 1000 (Alt. Nil, already have a second FastSwap 66)
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III 3C590-C
PSU: Unknown

Obtained Hardware:

Case: AOpen H700A. [Bought new, swapped out for additional hardware requirements]
CPU: Intel Pentium 233MHz MMX [On-hand]
CPU Cooler: Full Copper Cooler w/ 60mm Fan [Bought New]
Motherboard: The LEGENDARY ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 Rev 3.0 [Purchased on eBay - swapped out from the P55T2P4, see build update on post #41]
RAM: 64MB of TBD (4x16MB) [Selected some sticks from on-hand]

HDD1: 1.2GB Seagate HDD - main OS drive. [1997 - On-hand]
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda ST380023A 80GB 7200 RPM Drive. [2003 - On-hand]
HDD3: (Found - 30th March 2020) Seagate Barracuda ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM Drive. [2006]
HDD4: Western Digital Caviar WD400 40GB 7200 RPM Drive. [2005 - On-hand]
HDD5: (Found - 16th March 2020) Seagate U Series 9 ST380012ACE 80GB 7200 RPM Drive. [2005]
HDD6: Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB 7200RPM Drive. [2006 - Purchased]

HDD Caddy 1: Promise SuperSwap 1000. [2002 - NOS Purchased]
HDD Caddy 2: Promise SuperSwap 1000. [2002 - NOS Purchased]

FDD1: Panasonic JU-256A888P [Family Business - picked because the colour was still great on it!]
FDD2: Gotek USB FDD Emulator [Ordered online]

ODD: AOpen CD-940E/AKU Pro [Found.]
ODD 2: Beige DVD Drive. [Have on-hand.]

Graphics Card: Canopus Power Window T64V (S3 Trio64V+) + Canopus MPEG Decoder Daughterboard (S3 Scenic/MX2 Powered) [Purchased for the Ipex originally]
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster 16 IDE (CT2290) [Purchased for the Ipex originally. To be cap modded.]
NIC: Intel Pro/100S (IBM Netfinity Rebadge) [Purchased Online]
IDE Controller: Promise Ultra100 TX2 [Purchased Online]

Perhiperals:
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1A [On-hand]
Keyboard: Acer 6311. [On-hand - may swap.]
Monitor: Sony CPD-17SF2 17" CRT. [Purchased for Ipex]
Printer: Panasonic KX-P2123 Dot Matrix Printer [On-hand, found.]
Modem #1: ESP8266 acting as Hayes compatible modem over WiFi, inside a USR Sportster 14.4k case. [Put together using a few cheap parts, around $6. Modem was purchased dead on eBay.]
Modem #2 (New 24/9/19): USR Courier V.Everything 56k X2[Freebie, just had to pay shipping costs from another state.]

Audio:
Sound Module: Roland MT-32 [Purchased for Ipex... and because I wanted to give the one I was borrowing from a friend back]
Sound Module: Roland SC-55 [Had on-hand]
Sound Module: Yamaha TG300 [Purchased locally]
Speakers: Yamaha YST-MS201[Purchased Locally - Since the amp is no longer required and the amp & speaker setup have been relegated to my old consoles, this pair of Yamaha powered beige PC speakers with a sub will do just fine!]

Last edited by x0zm_ on 2020-03-30, 07:34. Edited 18 times in total.

Reply 2 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Thought this was going to be a Dell Dimension MS-DOS/Windows 95 rig with that title.

Sorry!

Haven't updated this in awhile either. Project and real life juggling. 🤣

Hardware changes since first post:

Using a 233MHz MMX now. I have one from another "parts" PC I'm having to get rid of, so that'll be nice. "Fast" enough for decent enough multimedia applications, Retrozilla, etc. Can be slowed down enough for old games. A solid and very flexible choice, even if it's not my favourite choice.

Mouse is now an Intellimouse Optical 1.1A. Yeah, a bit new. But I want to enjoy the games I'm playing. 🤣

Definitely using the Panasonic KX-P2123 printer.

Added a Gotek floppy emulator.

I'll post some pics of progress up until the current point in time, which is pre-building. Pictures are of varying quality, as some were taken for build logging, and others were just personal reference or to show people on Discord. They are in chronological order.

The case, and some cleaning up:

nidYwfrl.jpg

The case, as it was. Unused for about 10 years. Originally housed an early ABit Slot 1 board (don't recall exact model) with a Celeron in it, and some low end cheap S3 card.

This would be the case I'm going to use for the project. It's from the old family business.

uwb3Lrdl.jpg3S2Ie1Nl.jpg6Tkpboul.jpglf5pjFAl.jpg

The insides really needed some cleaning.

g2Ob4QPl.jpg

SUr33wQl.jpgaDbXt5Wl.jpgnTyUgsnl.jpgPytfWTil.jpgulFpEgPl.jpgAAC1oail.jpgvhjwAfml.jpg

9rXRnJel.jpgwzjH0XWl.jpgtFkJPbil.jpg Mfpf50Fl.jpgYnbXEm3l.jpgB8ZbEDvl.jpg EAKkKzRl.jpg mFqwjEQl.jpg uRxJPH3l.jpg
XPfNe2Dl.jpg

I eventually finished cleaning it as best I could. There was some absolutely baked on dirt and dust that wouldn't leave, no matter what I tried. Luckily, it wasn't really visible after adding a fan. The aftermath:

8uOPHEzl.jpg

Next up, some of these overly yellowed parts needed retrobrighting. I didn't want to go too hard on the modem for fear of removing graphics or labels, which didn't end up happening. It did end up nicely though.

fGFiMsJl.jpg Pf15hj8l.jpg

CaMPq0wl.jpg

You could certainly tell which side was facing sunlight. 🤣

Meanwhile, I took photos of some hardware for whatever reason. Probably to show someone. The motherboard model, and the speakers I got for the setup.

Phkf9M1l.jpg2TxurJ0l.jpg

I also ordered a lot of things from China. Some to be used immediately, some to be used potentially in the future. It was cheap on Taobao and looked interesting. Note, these are a mix of old and new photos since I didn't take photos of all of them when I received them.

First up were these fan filters for 80mm fans. ABS and beige in colour. I believe close to $1 AUD each complete with mounting hardware.

gMGNLsZl.jpgc0ka09Ll.jpgJvnnzaDl.jpgqAAJNlgl.jpgKspEv4al.jpg

Various power splitters and extensions using 16AWG wiring and the ever-popular Gotek floppy emulator. ATX to AT adapter + latching switch from RS-Online.

MSyz76kl.jpg6hlTN6Xl.jpg

(One) of my ESP8266s to go inside the broken USRobotics modem. Currently running ZiModem for BBS access.

MTcygkxl.jpg

Reply 3 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Next up, I took care of the printer I found on the side of the road (seen here). It was filled with rust that had fallen down from being underneath a rusted through barbecue with things placed on top of it. But it was a complete unit that works like a charm after cleaning and some adjustments.

bGtQZkwl.jpg GoQhRikl.jpg NLOWrEQl.jpg cWTytKPl.jpg fEgdLaPl.jpg 5uBZNkMl.jpg

The buttons for the case just would not de-yellow, no matter which retrobright formulation I used. As stated in the OP, I painted it a colour I remember well from the old days on our PC, which is baby blue.

uPgXSyWl.jpgChyquTal.jpgI9FRkNsl.jpgnIvkqrjl.jpg2kr13kEl.jpg

And here's some photos of various bits and pieces today after cleaning that I took today.

The modem is in a much nicer state, physically. Internally it is still dead. 😵

Wr9TwCml.jpgn5UQqXal.jpg

The printer now looks fantastic. Or as fantastic as it can look in a room that's completely unorganised as that while stuff is arranged for "keep, throw or sell" for moving.

DIk4WOyl.jpg F2uPIoAl.jpg

AqDmfNpl.jpg (from another thread here).

Really wanting to get more done soon. It's just hard to prioritise retro projects over work or "resume-friendly" projects. 😵

Reply 4 of 53, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why do some people put the optical drive at the bottom? It's a minor thing, but it seems weird to me. Personally, I prefer to put it at the top. It's hard to say why I prefer that, but I think it's mostly because, if it's at the bottom, then there's a bunch of empty space at the top; it doesn't look well-balanced that way. One other reason: pretty much all retail PCs typically had the optical drive at the top slot by default. Like I said, it's pretty minor, and it's a matter of taste, but it matters to me for some reason.

btw, it looks like your PC was like that already, but I meant this just as a general comment, because I've seen other PCs that are the same.

Reply 5 of 53, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GordonFreeman wrote:

Why do some people put the optical drive at the bottom?

Oh there are practical reasons as well.
One for example is cable length, many times you cannot connect a cdrom and a hard drive together on the same channel.
Another is case placement, if it's on the desk it's easier to have the cdrom lower, if it's on the floor it's easier to have it on top.
Bonus reason: some of us never changed old habits. We used to have the 5 1/4 floppy drive on top and when cdroms appeared well, we just put it where there was space 🤣

Reply 6 of 53, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like optical on top as dials, ejected floppy's, what ever don't get in the way, but have had to compromise due to cable length at times.

That printer must sound so cool, and I'm betting not THAT quiet 😀
Will be interesting to see how the modem mod woks out, external modems were such a desirable thing for quite a while, problem is they are completely useless now its hard to justify having one attached to the pc, until now 😀

Reply 7 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GordonFreeman wrote:

Why do some people put the optical drive at the bottom?

IIRC, it was at the bottom here because of the towers physical location, so being at the bottom made it easier to reach. Most of the other towers from there had the optical drives at the top since they were located on the floor.

But I'm personally a fan of loading drives from top to bottom these days when it's so easy to buy or make IDE cables of any desired length, and motherboard / drive supplied cables aren't the limiting factors.

chinny22 wrote:

That printer must sound so cool, and I'm betting not THAT quiet 😀
Will be interesting to see how the modem mod woks out, external modems were such a desirable thing for quite a while, problem is they are completely useless now its hard to justify having one attached to the pc, until now 😀

Well by comparison to the printer that it succeeds, the KX-P1123 that I was originally going to use, it is quiet. 🤣 I'm still hoping to pick up the colour conversion kit for it. There are some on eBay but they are almost all using eBay GSP and those fees hurt.

In regards to the modem, I just snapped some photos of what the modem would look like before actually doing it since I'm still waiting on some Nylon standoffs for the PCBs so they aren't just... there. Of course since the modem PCB is dead, I'll cut it up and take the power button too so the front doesn't look so bare.

eLCVqO6l.jpgvtYPg9pl.jpg5NkOuYVl.jpgEJaMccml.jpggURxoKKl.jpg

Aesthetically there's stuff that I'll add to make it look the part. Put LEDs in the light pipes, at least for power and RX/TX. Not sure I want to draw from the actual RX&TX lines so it flashes appropriately, but these things are so cheap that I might just give it a go anyway. Worst case scenario I lose a $3 ESP8266 dev board. Power is delivered via USB.

I recorded a quick video in DOSBox showing it here @ 2400 bps -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2xQD0WIIHc

It can be set at any reasonable speed you'd want for BBS or other term/text application usage through a serial modem.

Edit: Recorded two more videos for demonstration. 1200 bps, and 14400 bps that would be appropriate to the modem and era.

1200 bps - https://youtu.be/Lm2Qe75UXJ0
14400 bps - https://youtu.be/_UM4EspqES4

Reply 8 of 53, by barbeque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad you're going to preserve the power switch. That was the best part of that whole modem, the big chunky action.

Is ZiModem robust enough for a full on IP connection for something like period Netscape, even slowly?

Reply 9 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
barbeque wrote:

Is ZiModem robust enough for a full on IP connection for something like period Netscape, even slowly?

I honestly haven't experimented that far with it.

If it isn't, there's so much firmware for the ESP8266 out there, if it doesn't do it, something will.

I'll play around with it tonight and give it a shot though.

Reply 10 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re: ZiModem.

Appears not. But there does appear to be SLIP/PPP firmware for the ESP8266, if you have a machine running a PPP server to get a nice, dial-up speed-ish connection through WiFi.

Today's minor work:

Pulled the MMX CPU from the donor machine. It's an old Compaq Presario, model 4526. It's not in terrible physical shape, but there's a number of parts that don't work internally. Intermittent power issues. Optical drive doesn't work. Floppy drive doesn't work. It was stored in a pretty unfavourable environment when I got it about a year ago. I'll likely be scrapping the internals if I can't get it working properly (seems to be a PSU issue, haven't tested too much). The case will live on, though. The PC I stream through needs housing after all. 😉 Though if it works, I'll find another case for it.

Anyway, enough rambling. Some pics of the Compaq and the CPU, and it's bottom of the barrel, super flimsy heatsink.

r8hHI3Ul.jpg RcN2Swtl.jpg

rv57gYWl.jpg

Not terrible, but not super clean either. Mold and minor rusting. I think that says it all about its storage environment. At least it has the original front sticker. 😀

Opening it up, we can see it's mid '97 vintage. Not too terrible for a 233MMX I say!

itSgCRMl.jpg

It has the option of three expansion cards. Three ISA or Two ISA & one PCI. It currently has some type of modem inside that is of little interest to me. Though I'd like to get a real modem for this machine too, it will be external. Hopefully a second USR Sportster to match the gutted WiFi one.

VYr1CgFl.jpg L2IzDatl.jpg

We can also see the cheap as chips heatsink on this. Not even a proper fan, just some exhaust from the PSU that's vented down.

DjLnGlyl.jpg

Removing that, I'm left with what I came for. Beautiful. Always loved the texture on these.

Bonus pics - heatsink:

72wfFQWl.jpg XFoLpCfl.jpg

Thank you Bioli Corporation for giving me a cooler I never wish to touch again. It's not often I come across a CPU cooler with fins so thin and flimsy I almost cut myself on them.

Reply 11 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As always. Purchases are made. Never happy with what I have. Need to do work on the board anyway.

Picked up the following:

Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A - Four drive PCI IDE/ATA controller with on board 32MB cache via DIMM. Will upgrade to 64MB or 128MB depending on what I have in my RAM stash. Not sure if it works. I liked it because it has DOS & 95 Drivers, some sweet software. Will be nice to fill in the future. Not era appropriate (early 00s), but whatever. Just a few years late. I like having lots of storage available. Seller photo below. 😈

iwKNx0vl.png

Doubt I'll run it in any RAID config though. Just a standard JBOD arrangement. One IDE DOM in each slot. A man can dream.

Roland SC-7 - yeah. I have an SC-55. But the price was too good and I like beige. I'll likely clean it up and trade it for something else in the future. Or maybe I'll keep it. Time will tell.

Epiphan VGA2PCIe - finally a VGA capture card. Really happy to have one on the way.

No photo yet.

Ordering the following:

There's odds and ends that I need which I'll order from China to save money. After all, I won't really be using this until mid of the year when I move into the new place so I'm in no rush. No point ordering until CNY is over though.

DIP-24 Sockets - Dead RTC on the T2P4 (unsurprisingly), so I'll remove it, add the socket and put in a new RTC. Since they're under 5 cents each, I'll order a bunch for other boards, or "just in case". I really don't like doing this, but you have to do what you have to do. Damn you ASUS for not adding a socket from factory.

Nylon Adhesive Standoffs - To mount the PCBs in the gutted USR modem. Don't wish to use double sided tape on top of the ESP8266 heatsink.

Varying cables - I will likely get some additional Molex splitters or other power splitting options for the potential additional storage. USB IO bracket header.

Bonus photos so it's not a text laden post:

HzQJqk9l.jpgzjzj8R1l.jpg

Reply 12 of 53, by barbeque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Epiphan VGA2USB has been pretty good to me, handles weird scanrates and resolutions better than I expected. I got the USB version so I could record from a laptop, as it's not always practical to string long VGA cables across the room.

Reply 14 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's work: Keyboard!

The keyboard is the Acer 6311-K. It's a weird mechanical-membrane hybrid, but it's nice enough. I'd still like to get a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, but those are few and far between here.

I've had this keyboard for awhile. It's not in great shape, but it works fine. Therefore, it's time to clean it up, retrobright and reassemble this board over the next couple of days.

Today I've disassembled the keyboard, removed the keys, gave them a quick clean and put them out in the sun with the peroxide. It's mildly cloudy so hopefully it still works well. Australian summer, high UV, all that jazz.

The board & keys in varying states of yellowing.

uOXtwz4l.jpg HoH4tqLl.jpg NbvxwUNl.jpg aCxmAu2l.jpg

Screws out and casing removed, with a LED having slightly bent legs.

B36qRgdl.jpg W1yxEzEl.jpg 1h9WD1bl.jpg

Out of the casing, we see the keyboard and the PCB on the back. Using an Intel P8049AH as its micro. Neat.

NBZiEKsl.jpg VxanP9kl.jpg RTStYmTl.jpg

Time to start removing all those keys. You can really see the difference between the normal and yellowing keys here.

hCCc3ncl.jpg 3WWxF7Bl.jpg VGbCo4Yl.jpg 5eJqwvNl.jpg swn5x1hl.jpg 8DdCdGnl.jpg SeVABuDl.jpg

Didn't take photos of cleaning because that's boring and tedious. So here's the keys nicely set out underwater before adding the peroxide and the lid.

WWpK5Itl.jpg

I'll head out to run some errands and hopefully they'll be looking better this afternoon. 😎

Reply 16 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made some good progress, but not fully complete yet. There's still some noticeable difference between the yellowed and non-yellowed keys. I'll try again tomorrow and that should finish it up. I'll try mix in some of the creme peroxide for hair into the water too this time. I've had good success with that before, since larger quantities of decent strength peroxide isn't too easy to come by here.

6SjYTODl.jpg z4LLlQ3l.jpg

Also started taking a serious look at what HDD and other storage options I have available. Now that I'm getting the IDE RAID card for an additional four drives, I'm potentially looking at the following setup for IDE devices.

Primary IDE, main drive: 2.1GB WD... something. It's still inside another PC for now for safe keeping.
Primary IDE, secondary drive: 16GB Hyperdisk DOM. Main Win95 software drive.

Secondary IDE, main drive: Teac 6x CD
Secondary IDE, secondary drive: Undecided ODD.

Then, I have the following drives to pick from.

KjqX0Lel.jpgLP0Mx7ul.jpgdSCpCI1l.jpg

Left to right:

Western Digital WD Caviar SE - 80GB. MFG Date: 26 Feb. 2005
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - 60GB. MFG Date: 12 Jan. 2005
Seagate Barracuda ATA V - 80GB. MFG Date: Aug. 2003
Western Digital WD Caviar - 40GB. MFG Date: 24 Apr. 2005
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - 40GB. MFG Date: Sept. 2003
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 - 40GB. MFG Date: 16 Nov. 2003

As far as I'm aware, they are all in working order from last time I tested them. Two I just pulled from one of my old retro builds that my Pentium III replaced, two I've had for awhile and two I bought cheap awhile ago. I'll likely run a configuration similar to this:

Drives off the motherboard, as seen from Win95:

• A: - Gotek Floppy Emulator
  • B: - Real Floppy drive
  • C: - 2.1GB Main boot drive, FAT16 (will lose some space, oh well.)
  • D: - ODD #1
  • E: - ODD #2
  • F: - Hyperdisk DOM, formatted to FAT32, main software drive.

Adaptec Channel #1:

• G: 2GB FAT16 Partition
  • H: 2GB FAT16 Partition
  • I: 2GB FAT16 Partition
  • J: 2GB FAT16 Partition
  • K: Remainder of GB @ FAT32 Partition

Adaptec Channel #2:

• L: 32GB FAT32 Partition

Adaptec Channel #3:

• M: 32GB FAT32 Partition

Adaptec Channel #4:

• N: 80GB FAT32 Partition.

The last will likely be used for Win NT.

I'll also have to fabricate or install some HDD bays from another case since this one certainly won't have enough. It shouldn't be too hard to whip something up out of acrylic, and even include a fan bracket to keep them nice and cool.

This will be a jam packed, fun filled, stress inducing build - both physically and likely emotionally.

If the RAID card proves to be too much of a pain in the arse on the software/Windows side, I'll use it for retro network storage. It was only $15 AUD delivered so I'm not super worried about it. I already have more storage than I'd need from a 16GB DOM + 40GB drive without the RAID card, but if plans fall into place, it is likely that the extra storage will be needed. 🤣

I've run up to Z:\ on XP before, but never on Win9x so I'm not at all familiar with how nicely it plays with a large amount of drives. I'm sure NT will be fine. It's just Win95 OSR2 that I'm unsure. Might try it out in a VM to make sure nothing is immediately alarming.

Reply 17 of 53, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you please share the drivers you are using for the Scenic/MX2 daughterboard? I have a Trio64V+ with integrated Scenic/MX2 onboard but never managed to get it to work due to lack of proper drivers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 53, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Could you please share the drivers you are using for the Scenic/MX2 daughterboard? I have a Trio64V+ with integrated Scenic/MX2 onboard but never managed to get it to work due to lack of proper drivers.

Absolutely!

I don't know if the drivers I have are valid for your version of it, but it likely is. From one of the READMEs, translated into English:

To everyone who uses "Power Window T64V4MC / T64V / 968PCI / 868PCI / 868VLB / 864PCI / 864VLB / 928IIV / 928IIVLB..."

Included are the Windows 95 (and maybe 98?) drivers, NT 3.5X drivers, NT 4.0 drivers, Win 3.1 drivers and their own "Power Cinema" and "Power View" software for Win95.

Some of them have a couple of different driver versions.

https://mega.nz/#!2hpxkCBQ!-KyuMJ_qbZajA_jbqg … cRokZPeCz54D4uY

Edit, these too: https://mega.nz/#!ShoCkCJa!h3Db8zg8imnwIvAzMw … Cs9nBVLIjs1_v5A <-- "Motion JPEG playback driver", for 3.1, 95, 98, NT.

Good luck 😀

Reply 19 of 53, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many thanks!

Mine is the DataExpert MPG3365P so specialized drivers won't work, very likely, but I hope the last generic driver you posted will.

Data-Expert-MPG3365-P-Trio64-V-Scenic-MX2.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.