Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote:
doaks80 wrote:
realnc wrote:

In my opinion the Terratec Maestro 32/96 is one the absolute best ones, but good luck finding one 😒

I didn't even know I had one and just "found" it in my "long card" soundcard box. I must have bought it years ago and I am sure I never tried it!

Wow, OK. That's like finding a gold bar in the mud 😀 This card is nowhere to be found online, and I'm sure it's not exactly cheap. It wasn't cheap back in the day either, IIRC it was very expensive for a sound card.

According to my purchase history it seems I bought it from a well known purveyor of vintage parts in Germany in 2016 for about 80EUR. Don't remember why or why I never used it.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 21 of 28, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

According to my purchase history it seems I bought it from a well known purveyor of vintage parts in Germany in 2016 for about 80EUR. Don't remember why or why I never used it.

That's a great deal for a 32/96!

For the unbelievers, here's a Roland SC-55:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf33IOzWclQ&f … re=youtu.be&t=8

And here's the Maestro 32/96:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFm1PDCR_g&f … =youtu.be&t=400

You don't actually need a Sound Canvas if you have a 32/96 😎

Reply 22 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the default Dream soundfont on the 32/96 one of the releases that Roland got mad about?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wooo this is my favourite topic! Unfortunately I can hardly ever come to a lasting conclusion.

Some great suggestions here already, both the AudioDrive and the later Crystal based ISA cards can be great, but I'd also consider a decent SB16 because they sound great and are super compatible / easy to use. That "but they're not SB Pro compatible" thing is bollocks - ask whoever states that to name a game that does stereo and doesn't support SB16.

A CT2230 or a CT2290 will do the trick, I don't mind those Vibra16S cards with a real OPL3 either if you're not interesting in GM.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 28, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Is the default Dream soundfont on the 32/96 one of the releases that Roland got mad about?

It doesn't support soundfonts. It's a 4MB ROM containing what seems to be a clone of the SC-55 wavetable. Out of all the cards that use the infringing Dream wavetables, the 32/96 sounds the closest to the SC-55 (it's almost identical.)

Reply 25 of 28, by jdbd1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

OPTi 928/929/930 are also valid options as they are usually found alongside genuine or cloned opl chips but they do have compatibility issues with games when running as sb pro in my experience; we can discuss esfm vs opl3 all day but the ess audiodrives are generally more problem free and have simple dos drivers with little overhead. ES688 is also a great option as a non-pnp card with genuine opl3 and simple drivers.

And what about a YMF744?

Reply 26 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jdbd1994 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

OPTi 928/929/930 are also valid options as they are usually found alongside genuine or cloned opl chips but they do have compatibility issues with games when running as sb pro in my experience; we can discuss esfm vs opl3 all day but the ess audiodrives are generally more problem free and have simple dos drivers with little overhead. ES688 is also a great option as a non-pnp card with genuine opl3 and simple drivers.

And what about a YMF744?

That is a good PCI option but being PCI automatically maked şt less compatible and more quirky than ISA for dos on many motherboard chipsets.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

That "but they're not SB Pro compatible" thing is bollocks - ask whoever states that to name a game that does stereo and doesn't support SB16.

It's been a while, but IIRC, I'm sure I've come across at least 1 game. I seem to recall Super Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte circa 1991. If you are looking for similar SB Pro compatibility, games released around 1991 would be a good bet.

@OP: Yamaha YMF7x4 is recommended with SB-LINK, and since you are considering a Socket 7 build, I've never come across a board with this connector. A TX chipset board may exist though.

If you're looking for the most compatibility, you can't go wrong with a CT1600 SB Pro 2, SB 16 (CT2230, CT2290) or AWE32 (CT3900, CT3980). And use another card for Intelligent Mode MPU, or SoftMPU with an ISA or PCI card.

EDIT: If it isn't Super Tetris, then its sequel Tetris Classic by Spectrum Holobyte is what I remember.

Reply 28 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote:

It doesn't support soundfonts. It's a 4MB ROM containing what seems to be a clone of the SC-55 wavetable. Out of all the cards that use the infringing Dream wavetables, the 32/96 sounds the closest to the SC-55 (it's almost identical.)

I wasn't clear on whether that card had SIMMs as well as a mask ROM. It's probably a nice upgrade over my cs9233 based wb card (also with an illegal clone instrument set).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder