VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently converted a Wyse V90LE thin client into a retro gaming rig.

s-l1600.jpg

-Upgraded the 512 MB DOM (disk on module) to a 16 GB DOM

wyse2.jpg

-Installed a PCMCIA to 15-pin gameport adapter:

wyse3.jpg

After mods, the system has the following specs:

-1.2 GHZ VIA c7 CPU
-1 GB DDR2 RAM clocked at 533 MHZ
-16 GB DOM
-CN700 Unichrome Pro graphics w/64 MB shared RAM
-DVI output with support for VGA
-VT8237 AC97 sound
-VT6102 Rhine-II Ethernet adapter
-1 front and 2 rear USB 2.0 ports
-PCMCIA expansion slot
-SD reader
-Dedicated PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports

I opted for a dual-install of Windows 98SE and XP. It took some digging online, but I managed to track down all the hardware drivers for both operating systems. Here's a device manager screenshot from Windows 98 (also showing that I was able to get the DOM correctly working in DMA transfer mode) :

s-l1600.jpg

Here are the passmark scores from running Performance Test v6:

ptest.jpg

This ended up being an interesting little build. The Soundblaster emulation for DOS games running under Windows 98 seems to be decent for the games I tested. Doom and Duke Nukem 3D both played fine with both sound and music. 3d platformers and racing games run under 98 and XP ran fine. Altogether I tested nearly 40 different games and for the most part I was quite impressed with what I was able to play with this machine.

For anyone curious - I did a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoTgrYmmec on this project - first 10 minutes shows setup and specs, the rest is gameplay footage.

Lastly worth noting is the full-featured nature of the BIOS - far more options than in any other thin client I've ever seen. You can adjust the CPU multipler from 4x to 12x in 1x increments and you can also disable the L1/L2 cache. There's IRQ settings in here, boot order, etc....the whole works.

Reply 2 of 6, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote:

Nice looking system and really compact. Also great find on the game port adapter. How do your games run on it?

I picked up that gameport adapter like 5 years ago on ebay when somebody was selling a surplus of them - got it dirt cheap. I see now they're quite rare and somewhat sought after.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well most games I threw at it ran on it. Windows 95/98 era games ran very well. Early XP games also ran well. The two main problems I ran into were - #1, some 3d-accelerated Windows 98 games ran painfully slow on Windows 98 but fine on XP (I suspect issues with the video driver as the video driver for this chipset saw quite a few updates for XP after support for 98 was abandoned, so the Windows 98 drivers are quite old). And #2, some DOS games had bizarre jerky left-to-right motion when horizontally scrolling. Other DOS games however ran great, such as Doom and Duke Nuke'em 3d which both had surprisingly good audio - both sound effects and music.

For being absolutely silent, super small, and only drawing 14 to 20 watts of power, this is a great machine for someone like me who isn't a hardcore DOS or early Windows gamer but does like to play vintage titles from time to time. Compatibility is high enough that it supports quite a bit.

One other note - performance on the 16 GB DOM is quite good - it run leaps and bounds faster than mechanical hard drives of the time, and DMA transfer mode is supported (and transfer speeds are indeed about 10x faster than in PIO mode as evidenced by the benchmark scores I did before and after switching to DMA mode).

Reply 3 of 6, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. I have a ton of Vx0LE's but no PCMCIA. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!