VOGONS

"Lone Wolf" Retro/Daily Driver

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 26, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-04-16, 13:40:

I doubt Nichicon is better than Panasonic and United Chemicon (UCC), the Samxons absolutely need to be replaced though.

mine seems fine.
should they really be replaced?

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 23 of 26, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really nice build!

How have your experiences been with Win98 in a system this powerful? What kind of games have you been playing/testing?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 24 of 26, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(darn notifications..sorry again for the really late reply.)

I cannot complain much given the stability of this machine. Any game I can think of, again released <=2005 or so, just works, with these caveats and workarounds:

-You're probably not going to find a great way to slow down the processor enough to do earlier DOS games. DOSBox of course runs them just fine.
-Specific DirectX features that were removed in later versions (see Table Fog & 8-bit Paletted Textures) could be problematic. I have not run into anything that bugs me enough to care - but undoubtedly there are titles out there that will not look correct. You could of course swap in a GeForce FX-series instead, for example.
-nGlide for 3dfx games. The 6800GT or Ultra cards have no problem with this though, from a performance standpoint.

I switched out Windows 8.1 for XP, and again the performance is just fantastic. This has been a wonderful build for dual-booting 98 and XP.

Reply 25 of 26, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Samxon capacitors are good provided that they have good types are excellent to have except Samxon made low end models for the consumer market is frequently seen.

I had to special order in large batches at good price (wholesaler price level) of high grade Samxon capacitors for our shop back in 2008 through 2010 when we started to see bad capacitors in monitors, plasma and LCD by Samsung and PSUs in generic stuff. Our local supplier does sell low ESR but was priced too high to justify.
There was one time my guy replaced capacitors in one PSU with typical capacitor, which was a mistake and came back bad again within warranty period, then so I gave him some of my stock and that LCD TV didn't come back because kept working with Samxon capacitors in it.

BTW, I have the Samsung 17" SyncMaster 170N LCD from that era, that customer didn't pick up past 90 days, after our repair from my old work that I replaced bad capacitors monitor with Samxon capacitors, and is still works to the day many years later.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 26 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 775i65G R2.0 and practically every cap except the small audio ones with Panasonic FLs.

Horribly painful to do so but it paid off. Retired it in favour of a restored MSI 865PE Neo3-V though.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB