VOGONS

First post, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bear with me I’m feeling nostalgic. I know these are generally regarded as a pretty poorly appointed system around here so here’s my nostalgia trip of the month. When I was a preteen/teen I was largely computer illiterate and my childhood computer suffered under a massive load of bloatware I foolishly installed and eventually succumbed to heat death due to my failure to dust it (ever). But what I still had was the original hard drive that has been sitting on a shelf for the past 7 or 8 years so recently I got it into my head that I would transplant the soul of my childhood system into a new box.

HDD.jpg
Filename
HDD.jpg
File size
861.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now I know the dimension 3000 sucks, objectively, but when you’re in 4th grade circa 04-05 and your parents buy you a cheap computer you take what you can get. Mine had a Pentium 4 which I cannot remember the speed of so eventually the Celeron in this one is going to go. The eBay seller had it listed as a Pentium 4 but the bottom of the picture with the sticker was cut off and for all I know they have no clue about technology. Ended up being $5 and $47 shipping but came with a PCI BFG GeForce 8400 GS so I feel it makes up for the frustration a bit. At 1GB of ram it’s twice what I had as a kid too. I ran my original one up until about 2011 and the last game I remember working fine was Sins of a Solar Empire but it eventually fell out of favor with me when I couldn’t get Sims 3 or Eurotruck to install properly.

Guts.jpg
Filename
Guts.jpg
File size
995.59 KiB
Views
File license

So when it arrived I couldn’t get it to turn on and I had it most of the way dismantled to clean it before I found the problem. Someone had tried to remove that heatsink but the OEM Dell thermal paste was so ossified that it yanked the processor right out with it. Instead of trying to put it back in properly someone just jammed it down and reinstalled the locks meaning that I had to unbend 5 flattened pins (successfully mind you!). Booted it into clonezilla, cloned my original hard drive (March 11 2005 per the WD sticker), plugged everything in, crossed my fingers, and powered it up. It started right into my old desktop still frozen in time from 2011full of bad MS Paint art and high school papers so I’ve been having a great time exploring all the junk I left on this thing. My desktop is a wasteland of dumped documents and photos and pirated movies and old school work. After slaughtering a huge amount of bloatware in the startup services its back to being pretty snappy and I’m doing this post on it using the backported version of Palemoon browser.

System.jpg
Filename
System.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license

Aim started up with my saved login info and it kinda makes me sad my old account (and the whole service) is gone. I can’t bring myself to take it out of the startup programs so I just leave it there trying to phone home to a server that’s never going to answer it.

aim.JPG
Filename
aim.JPG
File size
15.02 KiB
Views
File license
spec.JPG
Filename
spec.JPG
File size
59.72 KiB
Views
File license

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 1 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, don't knock those old Dimensions... they may have been crappy, but they would limp over the finish line with two broken legs, no arms, and the flu, even if it took them an eternity to do it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh. Despite most of these pre-built systems from Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM etc. being really "boring", they were generally built more for stability and durability rather than performance. They were never meant to be gaming systems or speed demons, but you can always modify them to suit your needs. My Pentium III is based on a boring Compaq system, but as it sits now, it's a pretty nifty computer.
There's no shame in your Dell Dimension 3000 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 7, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost start to feel nostalgic too looking at this Chinesy BPC box 😊 It seems like it doesn’t even have an AGP slot. It screams low end. I hope for you that the capacitors on the motherboard are still good. Wait another 5 years and a Dell like this will be rare.

Reply 5 of 7, by GhostyGhost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah this old Desktop. I had a Dimension 3000 a long time ago and it was fun at first, until the breakdowns began happening a couple years afterwards. HDD went bad, but being a kid at the time and none of my family members knew how to fix a computer nor tell if something needed replacing. Even the so called "PC repair" people couldn't fix it. Lost a lot of good music as a result. Kinda one of the reasons what drove me to learning about computers in the first place.

But thanks for sharing this. It's nice to go down memory lane sometimes.

If life throws a wrench into your plans, then show life that no matter what it does to you, you will always prevail.

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget that this was once peak DELL. The Dell Dude broke away a lot of their corporate brand identity to sell a ton of these. These crappy Dimensions have a strong place in US computer history with the Packard Bell Legends, the Gateway 486s/P5s and the eMachines 😀.

apsosig.png
long live PCem