3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

Topic actions

Reply 1041 of 2164, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:27:

My plan is to remove all the surface components as I’ve read in the POD100 thread it restores the 2.5 multiplier, even with the fan removed.

I wouldn't. The surface components are the voltage regulator. Without them, no power to the cpu core ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1042 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-03-27, 13:13:
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-03-26, 19:27:

My plan is to remove all the surface components as I’ve read in the POD100 thread it restores the 2.5 multiplier, even with the fan removed.

I wouldn't. The surface components are the voltage regulator. Without them, no power to the cpu core ...

You would think this, but siting another members experiment:

“ with all the on chip VRM circuitry gone it will boot at 2.5x multiplier with or without the fan”
-stuvize

I’ll find out at some point today if I can get the last component off.

Reply 1043 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just can’t get this vrm off the chip. Trying with an iron and low temp alloy aka quick chip or fast chip. Managed to chisel the top off, didn’t help me much.

Attachments

Reply 1044 of 2164, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sent Chad one of the best memory sticks I have that works on several mobos. High chance it gets him to 212 + fastest in dos.

About the blowing caps of the Promise EIDE2300Plus - maybe a production run is reaching its age these days and things start to fail. Noted. Will be careful with the ones here.

P24t adhesives.
There are two types - the gray one you show here which is difficult to remove and a white one that is very easy to remove.
The gray one I sliced with exactoknife in thin sections which can be removed easily one by one. Put a fresh blade if you go with this approach.

I am not sure why you want to remove the vrm circuitry. Can you explain please ?

So far I was unable to get lights with one of the pod100 cpus at 125mhz on 2-3 different motherboards. Even with 12v Peltier that freezes it hard.
It may be the cpu itself of course. May try the other one soon, or maybe wait and see how far you go before deliding the other chip.

About getting the elements off the chip - you probably noticed how surprisingly sticky these pads are. They just soak the heat from the soldering iron tip which makes everything more difficult than usual.

P24t are cold processors. They work just fine without a heatsink.
But you need to shorten the lower two fan pads for 2.5 multiplier.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1045 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2022-03-27, 15:09:

I am not sure why you want to remove the vrm circuitry. Can you explain please ?

Mostly because I saw an example of someone else doing it. If I understood correctly he was able to boot at 125MHz with a large cooler, without shorting any pins. I’m thinking this would also give you the most surface area for a cooler. This might not work at all but I’m having a bit of fun trying.

Thank you for shipping the module to test!

Reply 1047 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it! While admittedly making a mess of the ceramic surface. You see I was able to remove some of the epoxy with a combo of a soldering iron and abrasion from a solder wick. Might take quite a while to get it all.

Check this thread. Second post from bottom of first page.

Modifying the POD83's voltage regulator for overclocking

Attachments

Reply 1049 of 2164, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah, i was a bit puzzled about what's the objective with gutting the assembly.

i am tempted to delid another pod100 and try it at 125MHz in case the one i tested was flaky ...

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1050 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2022-03-27, 18:15:

yeah, i was a bit puzzled about what's the objective with gutting the assembly.

i am tempted to delid another pod100 and try it at 125MHz in case the one i tested was flaky ...

Do it!

It shouldn’t be too hard to put the three capacitors back on and bridge the 3.3-5 pads to get this guy running again. I’ll give it a shot.

Reply 1051 of 2164, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your POD isn't working without any components soldered on because the CPU isn't getting any voltage. By removing the VRM, you've removed the voltage line. Use the POD100 MOD thread to either a) an ordinary diode to serve as a 0.7 V drop and run the CPU at around 4.1-4.3 V, or b) short the appropriate pads and run the CPU at 5.0 V.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1053 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked this guy up as gold scrap so I’m okay effing with it. She posts at 125MHz now.

Attachments

Reply 1054 of 2164, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok getting warmer now.

anything special you did or just bolted the cpu in the socket ?
also, which mobo ?

if this boots i am going to delid the other pod100 that posted before on asus vli.
it has hard adhesive which made me hesitate but not anymore.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1055 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2022-03-27, 20:08:
ok getting warmer now. […]
Show full quote

ok getting warmer now.

anything special you did or just bolted the cpu in the socket ?
also, which mobo ?

if this boots i am going to delid the other pod100 that posted before on asus vli.
it has hard adhesive which made me hesitate but not anymore.

I soldered the original three smd’s back on and shorted the 3.3 and 5 volt pads the VRM used. Also shorted the two bottom fan pins as suggested. Set motherboard for 5volt on the CPU.

Using an LS486e-C2 for now. Also just squeezed some thermal paste over top the old epoxy and slapped a heat sink/fan on. Haven’t had any time to test further, family demanding my attention.

Reply 1056 of 2164, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@maxtherabbit
Yeah, prices of everything are up and up.
But retro perf pushing takes what it takes.

@Chadti99
Tried to shorten the second POD100 CPU without deliding it. Cannot get past post and that's only on two motherboards.
Current summary: one of the CPUs is hard no-go. The other one POST from time to time in Asus VLI for example.
I guess i will be watching from the reserves bench for now.
Btw, snap and share a picture of what you got so far - want to make sure i am not missing something simple.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1057 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t think I’m any further along, my current setup hangs right after HDD detection. Will try a peltier later in the week.

Had a moment where I thought I had it running a Quake timedemo but later find out the shorted pins on the fan pads came undone and I was only running at 50MHz. Lol

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2022-03-28, 00:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1058 of 2164, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2022-03-27, 23:50:

@maxtherabbit

Yeah I'm all for pushing stuff to the limit. I'm just not in favor of going ham on a part with a chisel removing shit that doesn't need to be removed - all under completely false pretenses.

Reply 1059 of 2164, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-03-28, 00:56:
pshipkov wrote on 2022-03-27, 23:50:

@maxtherabbit

Yeah I'm all for pushing stuff to the limit. I'm just not in favor of going ham on a part with a chisel removing shit that doesn't need to be removed - all under completely false pretenses.

I’ve re-read that thread several times and the guy is saying it was working without any of the components. How, I don’t know. I was talking to him a bit last year through PM but he hasn’t been on the forum for awhile. It could of been completely made up but wanted to give it a shot. Apologies for the horrors bestowed upon you today. Look away in the future 🤣.

The way I see it, I saved a part from scrap, and now it’s useable again. Cosmetically was not in great shape to begin with, already missing the heat sink/fan. Took me an hour to bend all the pins “straight” again. The ceramic isn’t likely scratched, it’s just the metal of my tools has rubbed off on it, which can be cleaned/removed.