Rank

Hi guys

Just picked up what appears to be a nice rig on eBay. Spec as below:

- Case: Chieftec Dragon full ATX
- Mobo: Aopen AX6BC 82440BX
- PSU: Brand new 600W Novatech
- CPU: P3 450Mhz (Slot 1)
- RAM: 192MB PC100
- HDD: 10GB running Windows 98 (l'll be looking to replace with something larger and 98SE)
- Graphics: Geforce 2 Ti
- Sound: SB Live SB0100

I've also picked up a couple of ESS Audiodrive cards (ISA) - ES1868F & ES1869 and will nabbing a Dreamblaster S2 or X3 so all bases are covered in terms of good DOS compatibility for sound.

What do you guys think?

I'll be looking to play Thief and Thief 2 (my fave games ever) so hoping the above is powerful enough?

I was also thinking about the possibility of dropping a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 into it at some point, but wondered if it would either a) not work at all, or b) be severely hampered (4200 is AGP 8x). Let's say that a 4200 'could' be used.. Would I then need to upgrade the CPU & RAM?

Thanks ever so much guys!

Reply 1 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cpu/mobo is a pretty expensive, highend early 1999 config. Swap for Pentium III 1100 or Celeron 700@1.1GHz and you will match GF2 perfectly for gamer 2000 build.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks good. If you want to play games in pure DOS, you'll want a different sound card; for just playing them inside Win98, the SBLive is fine.

I'd upgrade RAM to 256MB or more if possible.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 10, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers guys,

Will consider the upgrades, but I'll be seeing how things run stock first of all. Have a good friend who is also very knowledgeable about hardware from this period so getting advice from him too.

For DOS sound, I've picked up a couple of ESS Audiodrives and so one of these should fill that requirement, I'm hoping.

Reply 4 of 10, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

With life getting in the way, I’m only just getting around to sorting this machine out.

I’m looking to buy a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, but I’ve got concerns about those cards being AGP 8x and my mobo (as listed, above) is only 2x..

Not sure if that’s dangerous or if my specific board will allow that?

Cheers guys

Reply 5 of 10, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Watch it with video cards like that, aside from the AGP speed, sometimes the bus can't provide enough power through the slot.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 6 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ras2a wrote on 2019-03-08, 17:23:

I'll be looking to play Thief and Thief 2 (my fave games ever) so hoping the above is powerful enough?

That rig is more than powerful enough for Thief 1&2.

The only other thing that you might want to consider is getting a sound card that supports Aureal A3D in some form. I recently tried Thief Gold with a Yamaha YMF724 which uses the Sensaura 3D sound API (it emulates A3D to an extent) and the accuracy of the positional audio was leagues above using a SBLive or even an Audigy 2 ZS.

If you can find one cheap, try getting your hands on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. That card has an even better Sensaura implementation. Or, if you don't mind spending (a lot) more money, go for a genuine Aureal Vortex 2 for the premium A3D experience.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be fine, GF4 Ti is the last of the known good cards with BX motherboards. The FX series is where you may/may not have trouble.

As reference I've got a Ti4600 on my 1Ghz system running a 200W PSU, Dell branded Intel M/B. Same card worked fine on a Dual 600Mhz system with a P2B-DS

Not sure how much performance boost you'll get a 450 will be holding back the card, but hey you need to have a bottleneck somewhere right?

Reply 8 of 10, by ras2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers guys.

Chinny, do you have the same board as me? I’m thinking I get a slocket adapter for my slot 1 mobo and get a PIII 1GHz 370. Any ideas if I’d be able to go with 133 for both the CPU / RAM (my mobo manual says it supports 100 FSB, but then it does seem to report overclocking capabilities)

Any ideas if this board would support Taulatin PIII or Celeron

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the Aopen branded board however BX motherboards are for the most part created equal.
You can definitely overclock to 133FSB. This does have a side effect on AGP bumping it up from 66Mhz to 89Mhz. Many cards like the GF4 are cool with this, GF2 can be hit or miss.
Taulatin support will come down to the motherboard revision. On Aopen boards looks like 1.03 onwards is ok but would want to double check the exact revision first.