VOGONS

First post, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I'm always jumping around between a bunch of 'projects' but here is what I've been having fun with lately. I got this Deskpro 590 off ebay for $40. There was very little information, the seller just said 'Partially tested..seems to pass Video and RAM test, CD does not open". I was concerned from some of the pictures that it might have been water damaged, but to my relief it was just 20 years of dust. At some point it seems like someone had done some upgrading because here were the specs:

Pentium 75
40mb ram (72 pin SIMM?)
Onboard QVision 1280P+ w 1mb vram
Soundblaster Awe64 value
Broken 24x CD-Rom (replaced with 48x CDRW, the only beige ide drive I had)
4.6gb Quantum Fireball IDE
Windows 98 (not SE)

IMG_6022-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_6022-min.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_6023.jpg
Filename
IMG_6023.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6024.jpg
Filename
IMG_6024.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6025.jpg
Filename
IMG_6025.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license

Amazingly the soldered BR2335 battery still holds a charge (Why solder on coin batteries!), I had ordered an external battery just in case. Originally I had planned to use Win95 but the functional Win98 OS was a nice surprise, I think I'll keep it. I plan to replace the HDD with 2x 8gb IDE DOM. I think I'd like to increase the memory but I'm still debating how much is a good idea. I ordered a socket5 overdrive cpu, not sure it's supported or not, looking forward to testing. I ordered the 2mb vram upgrade for the onboard just to be able to run 1024x768 @ 16bit color, although after installing Jedi Knight and experiencing 320x240 software renderer it was eye bleeding bad. Originally I had thought about getting a period correct card that would support minigl and some basic Win98 3d acceleration but everything 3dfx, powervr and rendition based are looking to cost more than I've spent on everything else so far.

Questions:
Any suggestions on a cheap PCI video card that support directx acceleration, is cheap, and wouldn't seem massively out of place on a Pentium75/150/166? I have a Radeon 7000 and Radeon 9250 which could work but they also have more vram than this system has ram.
Any other suggestions?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 1 of 5, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Radeon 7000 and Radeon 9250 will most surely either not run at all in this machine, or run like crap (as in worse than period correct hardware even).

Your best (and most fitting) bet is a PCI card from around that time (up to 1997, the beginning of DirectX support and acceleration.... cards like the ViRGE or the ATI 3DRage come to mind). But some of thesecards are not cheap anymore. The ViRGE for example supports up to DirectX3 (arbitrary DirectX acceleration) and would be period correct.

Reply 2 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I really want something at least dx5. Back in the day my comparable system was a Cyrix P200 with a verte rendition 2100 ? , diamond branded card.

Edit: Rage XL cards seem like they might fit the bill.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system!

For ISA bus, you'll struggle to beat the onboard Compaq Qvision... that was only ever released on a daughter card for 32-bit EISA bus, not 16-bit ISA.

PCI is beyond me... though I did hear someone mention 3Dfx is good... though could be just a rumour.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I wasn’t really considering anything ISA based, but thanks for the input.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

Reply 5 of 5, by D3FEKT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice little system.

As someone mentioned already ATI Rage XL, Can pickup 8mb generic branded ones brand new still from China ebay or even amazon cheap.
I have a couple machines that run it and is not a bad card really, supports Direct X 6.0 which i don't think this machine will be running much that utilizes that anyway.