VOGONS

First post, by Arcanos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is actually a Windows XP Era machine Running Windows 98 SE.

Motherboard is:
Machine has 1 GB DDR Ram,
Unknown: 1.2MB 5.25" Floppy Drive (B:)
Sony 1.44 MB 3.5" Floppy Drive (A:)
Hard drive is A Western Digital 40 GB Drive WDC WD40 0JB-00ENA0
CD Burner: SONY CD-RW CRX220E1
DVD Burner: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A
U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC
Video card is an Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64
CPU is a 2.4GHZ AMD Athlon XP

Reply 2 of 10, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome!

Get some photos posted. Is it just running Windows 98?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 3 of 10, by Arcanos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This machine has 2 Hard drives in it, only one gets connected at a Time, One drive has windows 2000 and the other has Windows 98 SE.

Pictures of the Outside and Inside with some 3.5 and 5.25 Floppies
2d6uuxk.jpg
v2xthw.jpg
2zic38w.jpg
2lm5fu0.jpg
25jfpky.jpg
Proof that this was an XP machine
28lz9qg.jpg

Reply 5 of 10, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come on, I'm sure all of us are drowning in XP product keys from all our local finds 😜 "I'll just add that XP COA to the list before I chuck the dead PC... now where did I put it"

rYvqkJh.jpg
😁

If you put a SB Live in that PC, it will make a very versatile Windows 98/DOS PC. Lots of people around here have flashy kit but that will work just fine! Heck, that PCI Audio (which I think where from when Creative and *someone else* merged) will probably be perfectly adequate.

Are you going to use it for gaming or are you more interested in the hardware?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 6 of 10, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Cool looking machine man. Looks like you've got the same case as my old socket A machine, unfortunately long gone to the capacitor plague (thanks ECS 😀 ).

That AudioPCI card should emulate most DOS games fine, abiet with certain compatbility issues with certain games (namely Duke3D which needs the PCI audio patch) and requires EMM386.

Reply 7 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd carefully inspect the power supply.

Old Antec power supplies of this vintage used the worst of the worst in capacitor choice. If it hasn't been recapped, it probably needs it.

Edit: Motherboard also has some unhealthy capacitors on it, that needs fixing too. Very typical of XP systems of this age. If the VRM caps are gone, replace with good polymers at at approx 50% capacity. If other caps are gone, replace with low ESR panasonics (FR/FS series) or rubycon (LZH, LZJ series) capacitors.

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If haven't already you can download the 8MB Midi waveset
http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=41

Reply 10 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arcanos wrote:

This machine is mostly for recovering data from 5.25 inch floppies and 3.5 inch floppies for customers. If i need to i can see about recapping the board if it comes to it.

The main reason why I say recap now is that the bad capacitors in the PSU or motherboard can eventually cause a major failure of other components on the board, making a fairly straightforward repair into a very difficult repair.