VOGONS

First post, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this has been something of a labor of love I suppose rather than any period correct attempt at practicality. I had previously used this case for a different build but it has been sitting empty for a while and it really worked out well for this. I drilled all the rivets on this case, painted it black, and reassembled. Also previously added front and rear 120mm fans.

So specs:
-Conroe865PE motherboard
-Core2Quad QX6700
-4GB of ram (not 400mhz; eBay seller in China lied)
-Radeon 9800XT 256MB graphics
-Syba PCI IDE/SATA controller
-SATA DVD, IDE CD, Zip drive, floppy drive, and front USB panel
-120GB SSD for Windows 98, a 500GB hard drive apiece for XP and Windows 10 (budget for more SSDs dried up)

Got the board new in box on eBay and had been waiting forever for one because it’s an LGA 775 with AGP, 4GB ram capability, and full Windows 98 driver support. The install process was a huge amount of trial and error before I got everything up and running. SATA controller is set to legacy with the second IDE controller disabled because this was a weird quirk I discovered in a 775i65g build that Windows 98 could not see IDE devices with SATA legacy on unless one of the IDE controllers was disabled. Why is beyond me.

So installed Windows 98 on the 120GB ssd on a mobo SATA controller (R. Loew ram patch before bumping up ram to 4GB) and then installed XP to one of the controllers on the PCI card because I’ve previously had problems with Windows 10 not playing nice with older cards. After XP was installed I was left with a respectable dual boot build but I'm never satisfied with not playing around with hard won stability so I added another hard drive and installed Windows 10 (albeit 32 bit which solves a lot of driver problems). This brings up that shiny blue bootloader and I initially thought I had failed because selecting an old version of windows dumps the computer back to boot as if it crashed. But after this, thankfully, it brings up the legacy loader where XP or 98 can be selected. Interesting note, if a flash drive is left plugged in Windows XP will fail to load.

Games run great on 98 and pretty darn well on XP and I can do all of my nursing school homework on Windows 10 without a single issue (if I feel like it). It's an abomination of some variety I'm sure but its running stable and was a lot of fun to do!

System.jpg
Filename
System.jpg
File size
739.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Guts.jpg
Filename
Guts.jpg
File size
916.49 KiB
Views
File license
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
794.36 KiB
Views
File license
10 boot.jpg
Filename
10 boot.jpg
File size
97.26 KiB
Views
File license

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 2 of 2, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual for the board will give more detail, but this is a quick rundown of how the ICH5 IDE/SATA controller settings work.

Native Mode
All IDE and SATA ports are enabled. The IDE ports appear at their usual primary/secondary addresses and IRQs while the SATA ports appear as a 3rd controller using a PCI base address. This works fine with NT based OSes and Linux etc. Windows 9x will crash and burn since the built-in esdi506.pdr driver is completely buggy and braindead.

Legacy/Compatibility Mode
This disables one set of IDE or the SATA ports. Depending on the BIOS you can assign SATA, IDE1, or IDE2 to be whatever controller you want. The following configurations are commonly supported:

Primary IDE Controller: Secondary IDE Controller:
IDE1 IDE2
SATA IDE2
SATA IDE1
IDE1 SATA

All this to keep the stupid Windows 9x IDE driver happy.