VOGONS

First post, by Pawlicker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since this is the place where everyone shows off their sick retro DOS computers, I'd like to introduce mine: a HP Vectra VA desktop with a Pentium Pro 200, Matrox Millennium, and a SB16 value.

IMG_20190502_172613.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190502_172613.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Right now you're looking at this thing thinking it's like every other computer, and to be fair it does look like any other HP Vectra VA (already a solid system). But I decided to add some upgrades to it while also tackling a issue: The Pentium Pro CPU tends to run hot. How hot? After repasting it with Antec Formula 6 I touched the heatsink and realized it was hotter than a burning PowerPC. Adding a fan in slashed temps dramatically.

Right here is a CPU fan secured with Flex Tape, and it slashed temps. The heatsink went from burning hot to warm to the touch, with air being pushed away.

IMG_20190502_173108.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190502_173108.jpg
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license

I also threw some upgrades at it as well. I threw in a U160 SCSI hard disk from a server I was parting, Adaptec 2100s SCSI controller (with an i960 coprocessor) that features some sick Knight Rider LEDs, replaced the SB16 PNP with a Value, and tried to upgrade the Matrox GPU (but ran into crashing). Of course, the adaptec's i960 CPU generated so much heat that I had to cool it some more, so I slapped in a gamer brand PCI cooler fan and it blows out nice warm heat as well.

IMG_20190502_172759.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190502_172759.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license

My current OS is 95c with the Windows Desktop Update and Microsoft Plus. It runs great.

ppro desktop.png
Filename
ppro desktop.png
File size
237.11 KiB
Views
File license

Specs:
PPro 200mhz, 256k cache
32MB RAM (EDO)
Matrox Millennium 2MB video card
D-Link Ethernet card (PCI)
Sound Blaster 16 Value sound card
Adaptec 2100s SCSI, 18GB U160 Seagate Cheetah HDD
LG DVD drive
Some fans from Micro Center to cool it.

The system does well in SpeedSys.

PPRO.png
Filename
PPRO.png
File size
24.4 KiB
Views
File license

All in all it runs my DOS games so I like it. Paired with a nice crisp CRT monitor it's ready for hours of gaming.

Reply 1 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always wanted one of those. Had one in past at work running WinNT3.5.1.
Great workstations.
That’s twice the performance of my AMD 5x86-133-P75 computer running Win95c.
With 64mb 60ns EDO ram.
But I am using a 8gb. CF card for a boot drive.

I would get a color correct HP 4x IDE CDROM and floppy.
And a 3com 3c509 Etherlink III PCI combo card.

Reply 2 of 5, by Pawlicker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I always wanted one of those. Had one in past at work running WinNT3.5.1. Great workstations. That’s twice the performance of my […]
Show full quote

I always wanted one of those. Had one in past at work running WinNT3.5.1.
Great workstations.
That’s twice the performance of my AMD 5x86-133-P75 computer running Win95c.
With 64mb 60ns EDO ram.
But I am using a 8gb. CF card for a boot drive.

I would get a color correct HP 4x IDE CDROM and floppy.
And a 3com 3c509 Etherlink III PCI combo card.

I've used CF cards in other systems but the reason I used a SCSI drive/controller instead is besides the fact that SCSI controller is useless on modern OSes (even Linux dropped support for it), it gets around the limitations of the stock controller/BIOS. IDE controllers of that era were slow and the system also has the infamous 8gb HDD limit. Other than using an overlay the alternative is to use a SATA/SCSI card. I also had the drive lying around and I didn't want to pop the drive in another SCSI system I have, and I wanted to experiment with using cheap u320 server surplus drives on retro systems. The heat is high as I expected so I might try a 2.5 u320 SCSI drive next time or a more modern drive that runs cooler, I've done the former in a SparcStation 20 I didn't have a caddy for and the latter in multiple UNIX systems I own.

I still have the original CD drive that was color correct (it was 8x), the floppy is original, and I won't bother with a slower Ethernet card as I've found the most reliable way to get files onto 9x systems is to use a samba share on a Linux box. A faster CD drive works wonders for load times from experience. If anything I might experiment with one of those i960 network cards since that would offload network from the CPU.

Reply 3 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I like SCSI. Use to use them for disk arrays, cdroms, tape backups, hard-drives, etc.
I was just thinking period correct PPro build.
WinNT351 and Windows311.
I think the correct NIC card back then was a 10/100 mb/s
The HP Kayak came with the HP night director NIC at 10/100 too. ( HP Part # 5064-1897 )
I like the the 3com 3c509 and this HP Night director card because they are plug and play in Win311 thru Win10
Windows detects them and the drivers are included in the install disks.
I hate searching for drivers so I try to build computers that have components supported by MS Windows install disk.

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice rig,
Heat is why I moved to modern cases. My duel PPro for instance runs cool to touch with an Antec 3000 case.
Although I totally understand the appeal of period cases with bad airflow. besides if was good enough back then then it should be good enough now.
Adding modern fans with better airflow may help as well?

I'd duel boot 95 and NT 3 or more likely 4. NT is useless but PPro, SCSI, Workstation, these just feel enterprise, but yeh 95 is the best choice really.

These are all minor suggestions, you've already built a decent late dos, early Win95 gaming rig as it stands