VOGONS

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be5GOM1m.jpg

Nabbed one of these bad boys! No side window here. Pretty cool mid-2000s ATX case.

BmjFKuDm.jpg

Another picture of the box. The most difficult part of this build was honestly removing the "standard" I/O shield it comes with.

DtxuH6Ym.jpg

Ultra ULT31584 Wizard Blue ATX case
Corsair CX750M power supply
ASUS Z170 Deluxe motherboard
Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHz quad core processor
Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 heatsink
Scythe 120mm PWM rear fan
Arctic F8 80mm PWM front fan
MSI AMROR Radeon RX580 8GB PCIe video card
32GB DDR4 3200 RAM (2x16GB)
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 512GB
Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HD
DVDRW drive
2xFront panel USB 3.0 ports

Pth72iLm.jpg

The USB 2.0 ports are connected but the FireWire isn't

L2VdYxwm.jpg

Optical drive + USB 3.0 ports

pNYtM0lm.jpg

Side panel. Removed the shroud it came with.

84CzlK1m.jpg

The rear end

yYyFeo3m.jpg

The insides! Mostly black and white theme going on here. No RGB lighting or any of that.

lAOwyAsm.jpg

Another view

Hkf0vdOm.jpg

Closer look at the rear fan + heatsink + RAM slots

hwWxa7Jm.jpg

Bottom half of case

94d0wjBm.jpg

BIOS screen

hstHq72m.jpg

Windows 10 desktop

igEYRPym.jpg

Here it is!

Cz8KgIMm.jpg

It's ALIVE!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 21, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent build as usual. I always wanted one of those cases back in the day. I have a bunch of ultra branded things including the Ultra x-connect 500 watt modular power supply currently powering my abit kt7a-raid based Athlon system.

Reply 2 of 21, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It actually looks like a recent OEM system, it could be a Dell XPS if you wouldn't know it.

The problem with old enclosures like this one is that you can't install a decent size radiator for water cooling.

Other than that pretty cool but you've got to add some LED lighting 😊

Ohh and it has FIREWIRE 🤣

Reply 3 of 21, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a pretty nice build! That rig actually looks a little bit like a fancy Dell Optiplex desktop if you ask me 🤣

P.S. What is a "sleeper"?

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 4 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yet somehow we are supposed to be the ones who find the ugliest cases... 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 21, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had one of those cases! The one I had was dark grey and I think was a bit taller (IIRC it had a couple more 5.25" bays).

Can you even really call this a "sleeper" build? 😜 Maybe I'm just reeeaaally behind the times, but these cases still look modern to me. Oh, I guess it's missing all the RGB lighting garbage. Nothing of value lost there in my opinion. 😉

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 6 of 21, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A sleeper build is putting modern guts into an older computer or tower... This might be teetering on the line of older towers but I'd say 14+ year old case is there.

Also it was NIB! Which is awesome. I think these look pretty good and I've always liked these cleaner designs as opposed to stuff like this:

case_computer_600_series_translucent.jpg

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haha I have one of those on the right but in trans green. Fugly but has a Win2K Pro license so I am compelled to build a system for that OS some day. Probably an AthlonMP or Opteron build if I ever find a board and chips for it..

Reply 8 of 21, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

A sleeper build is putting modern guts into an older computer or tower... This might be teetering on the line of older towers but I'd say 14+ year old case is there.

Haha, that seems like an interesting word to call a vintage/modern custom made computer. At first I thought a sleeper was a desktop that lays down instead of stand up.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 10 of 21, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the chieftec dragon series; I'm still rocking mine from the early 2000's. It's such a solid, versatile and workable case with its easy-off sides, the slide in drive bay, and all the slot space.

It's hosted a dual-cpu Applebred Duron setup running Gentoo, then an early Core 2, and is still my daily Linux driver now hosting a skylake 6700k @ 4.9, AC wifi, addon usb 3 & 3.1 cards, and 20TB of storage. I keep it quite between busy on all fronts; although I've unfortunately misplaced the top front door! (looks like a common fate going through google images 😀 )

Next hardware swap out is still years away (I'm rooting for AMD to be the winner then), and I can't see myself every /not/ wanting to use this case.

Reply 12 of 21, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main PC used to run in a el cheapo "Premier/JNC" case up until a few days ago. i3-3220, 1TB Seagate, silver DVD-RW, GTX750Ti, ASUS H61M-A mobo, 6GB of RAM and a Raidmax RX-500XT PSU. Swapped into a bigger case because of high temps.

I don't think I have too much pictures, gotta look on my phone and dig them up. You can search up the model though - JNC RJA-52.

Or the one time I got a Athlon XP era case (presumably Thermaltake knockoff) and literally swapped in a Thermaltake TR2-420NP, a Core 2 Duo E6750 on an ABIT IP35 Pro mobo, about 4GB of RAM, and a 160GB HDD. That one I could take some pictures tomorrow, it's hasn't seen usage in quite some time.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 13 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanna do a sleeper build with an early 2000s Pentium 4 Dell case. My current desktop may just fit inside one, aside from the bigass GTX 1050ti I'm currently rocking. That'll likely take some mods to fit.

Reply 14 of 21, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like one of those DImension 8200 cases? I have no idea if an mATX board would fit in there with the standoffs and whatnot. Then there's the whole pin diagram hell you'd have to deal with... but if you find the pinouts you can get one of these to individually route the power button LED + switch cables to your motherboard header. Also works for USB 2.0 and front panel audio

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-30cm-Male-To-F … rd/382551783185?

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 15 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:
A sleeper build is putting modern guts into an older computer or tower... This might be teetering on the line of older towers bu […]
Show full quote

Also it was NIB! Which is awesome. I think these look pretty good and I've always liked these cleaner designs as opposed to stuff like this:

case_computer_600_series_translucent.jpg

I actually picked up one of those cases a few weeks ago for an AthlonXP-MP/Win2K build.

2000-ATX-Case.jpg

🤣

EDIT: WTF I actually replied to this post before? 😕

Reply 16 of 21, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

You got any pics of yours?

Absolutely! I don't think it's ever got any attention in the prior ~18 years - but this thing has become a trusted part of my life!

IMG_20190509_191746.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190509_191746.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20190509_191821.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190509_191821.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The blue silicone tubing suspends and vibration-isolates the drives. Drive bays are all populated and its sheer size lets me use all of the motherboard's headers in addition to addon cards (USB 3.1, AC Wifi). In prior years it's been the server-side in a 40 GiB-Ethernet network running Melanox hardware.

oeuvre, it's neat to see yours, which is likely a later model with the very handy front USB ports. The other difference I noticed are the slideable drive bays in mine. The the two 3.5" racks are slot-engaged, and each 5 1/4 bay has a pair of drive-rails, which like little soldiers are clipped into the bottom inside of case (where they collect cat hair 😀 ).

Back when I used HDD caddies and optical drives they were quite useful; I see your case still has accommodations for these, as yours has the same "scoop outs" (left and right of each 5 1/4 slot) where you squeeze the rails' clasps to disengage them.

Reply 17 of 21, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's awesome! I think I'll need to do some sort of drive insulation for the vibration. Otherwise it's all set. This one is pretty decent quality... better than many sub-$100 new cases.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18 of 21, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, they were expensive cases when they came out, ranging from 150+ USD for my beige up to the sweet indigo color like yours for 220 (apparently suppliers knew they could ask more?). I bought mine for about 120 USD refurbished from New Egg and thought was a steal!