VOGONS

Reply 20 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Silver Aopen CDROM drive is starting to fail so I am going to replace it with this Sony 52x drive.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished with upgrades.
Now time to enjoy this build.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 50, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
cde- wrote:

Very impressive work!

Out of curiosity, how did you reball this BGA? Did you create a reballing mask specifically for it?

Actually, I do not have a stencil so I just reflowed the chip with some No-clean flux and a heat gun and it worked.

Did you actually remove the chip or just put flux under it and hair dryer it?

Reply 23 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These AGP Voodoo cards I did not reflow. They still work like new from manufacture.
The Voodoo cards I did reflow where PCI Voodoo-3 cards.
I just removed the fan/heatsink and reflowed the GPU chip and ram with some NO-clean flux. I did not remove the chips.
I just poured some NO-clean flux under the GPU chip and on the ram contacts and heated with heat-gun at 150c degrees.
That is the melting temp of the solder. Heat until all the No-clean flux is evaporated. I just let the solder do all the work of repairing the welds.
And it worked.
Voodoo-3 Evil King Pro Repair

Reply 24 of 50, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice build. Right now I am attempting to do something similar - coincidently it's also based on FIC VA-503+ and K6-3+ 450 (in Lian-Li PC30), but I have problems with my HDD solution. For this purpose I bought TRANSCEND Industrial SSD 510K (64GB) for using with PATA to SATA converter. It works, but I am unable to activate DMA mode in Windows 98.

Default BIOS setting for IDE drives is UDMA "disabled", when I try to use "auto", drives are detected during POST as UDMA, but computer freezes on Windows 98 logo screen. Even with UDMA disabled in BIOS, I can try to activate at least DMA under device manager in Windows, but after reboot the checkbox is un-checked. For CD drive on secondary IDE channel, UDMA and DMA can be activated without problems. I tried another HDD (Seagate 2,5" 160 GB) and with this drive I managed to activate DMA in Windows, but UDMA still needs to be disabled.

I've noticed that you use Seagate 1TB which is detected as UDMA 2/136 GB:
file.php?id=64292&t=1

This combination works under Windows? What PATA to SATA converter do you use?

Reply 25 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try this one. SATA to PATA IDE Converter Adapter Plug-Play 7-15 Pin 3.5 2.5 Sata HDD DVD WP

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 50, by elcrys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Well, I ran a bunch of benchmark test as you can see from my previous posts and the computer did not crash and performance was okay.

I didn't see any specific HDD benchmark result. Usually you need to test HDD speed under Windows, DOS uses PIO. Could you please check whether UDMA is enabled ("Auto") in BIOS and DMA in device manager?
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-dma-mode.html

Reply 30 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time to work on the Meg-aluminum monster again.
I want to add a second sound card to load when I boot into DOS.
And then the Sound Blaster live 5.1 card can load in Win98.

What do you think will be a good choice for a DOS gaming sound card ?

I have a Yamaha Audician 32 ISA sound card and a K2Y-Pro16 sound card I am considering ?

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-06-12, 19:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 50, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet the Audician would be a very nice card to have for DOS, throw a WT card on it and it'll make for an excellent little DOS gaming card.

If we take it down to chipset then .. I would take the Yammy over the Crystal any day of the week.

Reply 32 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-12, 13:24:

I bet the Audician would be a very nice card to have for DOS, throw a WT card on it and it'll make for an excellent little DOS gaming card.

If we take it down to chipset then .. I would take the Yammy over the Crystal any day of the week.

The K2Y-16pro has Yamaha OPL3 Chip too.

Reply 33 of 50, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you please tell me what's the name of the benchmark you've been using on this pic? I need something like that so I could compare setmul results on my P200mmx and create and rename my .bat files accordingly for easier switching between speeds.

Attachments

Reply 34 of 50, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How come not 600mhz? 😀 (2x = 6x)

Nice build!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 35 of 50, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-06-20, 09:43:

Can you please tell me what's the name of the benchmark you've been using on this pic? I need something like that so I could compare setmul results on my P200mmx and create and rename my .bat files accordingly for easier switching between speeds.

https://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/research/norton-si/

Reply 36 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-06-20, 09:43:

I downloaded this benchmark package from “Phils computer lab”
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html

Just download and extract in a folder on you computer.
Then burn to a 700mb CD-R disk.

Put CD in you old computer and copy to your hard drive to a folder named DOSBENCH.
# xcopy /e/s D:*.* C:\DOSBENCH\

Now you can run the benchmark tools on your old computer.

Reply 37 of 50, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-06-20, 12:31:
I downloaded this benchmark package from “Phils computer lab” https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html […]
Show full quote

Put CD in you old computer and copy to your hard drive to a folder named DOSBENCH.

Thanks man, but I already have Phill's bench tools and know how to transfer files. Just didn't know how that other program was called... 😀

Reply 38 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-20, 10:32:

How come not 600mhz? 😀 (2x = 6x)

Nice build!

I am NOT trying to break the computer. I need to get some better CPU coolers too.
I just want a Really good AMD K6-III* Build configured for it’s optimal performance.
These AMD K6-III+ CPU’s clocked to 500mhz and 550mhz appear to perform very stable and reliable with Win98se.
Also there was not much of a performance boost going from 500mhz to 550mhz so I assume over-clocking to 600mhz would not be worth it.

I think its the “Mystic” of having an AMD K6-III+ with a Voodoo-3-3000 that is intriguing.
An official AMD K6-III+550 and Voodoo 5000 would be better but hard to find today.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-06-22, 13:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 39 of 50, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-06-20, 12:56:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-06-20, 12:31:
I downloaded this benchmark package from “Phils computer lab” https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dos-benchmark-pack.html […]
Show full quote

Thanks man, but I already have Phill's bench tools and know how to transfer files. Just didn't know how that other program was called... 😀

Well, its best to run the benchmark programs from you local hard drive for best benchmark scores.
If you run the benchmark programs over the network or from the CDROM disk they might not produce the best scores.