P3-V5-XP Double the power

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small Computer System Interface

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was reading that but maybe I am to lazy to understand 😀

"SCSI is popular on high-performance workstations, servers, and storage appliances. Almost all RAID subsystems on servers have used some kind of SCSI hard disk drives for decades (initially Parallel SCSI, recently SAS and Fibre Channel), though a number of manufacturers offer SATA-based RAID subsystems as a cheaper option. "

So thees means that every RAID configuration must have SCSI selected as 1st boot device?

Reply 23 of 26, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ZeCHoW, made any progress?

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole SCSI thing at the moment - the settings I listed would normally be the correct ones for your setup and yes, it's quite common for onboard raid to be listed as SCSI in the boot devices though I have seen boards with a specific raid controller entry in addition to SCSI.

After a bit more digging online though, I do wonder about the Promise bios screen you posted earlier. As far as I can tell that's not how it should display for the onboard PDC20265R controller chip, but should instead read something like...

FastTrak100 (tm) ”Lite” BIOS Version 1.xx (Build xxxx)
(c) 1995-2000 Promise Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No array defined . . .

Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
Or press <ESC> key to continue booting the system.

The word "Lite" in the above refers to the fact that this controller chip has reduced raid functionality compared to other Promise chips, specifically it can only support a maximum of 2 drives in a raid array (either striped raid 0 or mirrored raid 1) and those drives have to be set as master. Although you can connect 2 other drives set as slave, you can't combine them into a raid array. You'll also see it referred to as the FastTrak100 (tm) Lite Controller in the driver files. This is a link to the Promise website for the PDC20265R controller chip where you'll see your 694D Pro2 board listed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021005185355/ht … c20265r_eng.asp

The screenshot you posted shows bios version 1.31 (Build 22), but as far as I can tell this bios is designed only for the full-function FastTrak100 PCI raid card / onboard chip. Did you buy this board from eBay or similar as, if so, it looks as if a previous owner may have patched this in an attempt to add full raid functionality, as the MSI support page makes no mention of any official updates to the onboard raid bios.

If true, this may be adding to your problems in setting up XP and I'm not sure how you could fix it (possibly revert to MSI bios version 5.0 or 5.1?)

Reply 24 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey. I didn't have much time to play with computer. I tried to downgrade motherboard bios and update it again to try to achieve different version of raid controller bios.
Now I can't get screen for RAID configuration at all ... Any clues?

Reply 25 of 26, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I somehow gave up on with that RAID thing.
So I installed Windows 2000 SP4 on a single IDE drive and I am using 2nd one for storage of games installation, drivers and random software that I need.
I added fan regulators because these CPU coolers sound like a jet engine. I am a little disappointed with the system. Maybe because games are not build to work on 2 CPU. I tried Quake3 with SMP function on, but the game got frozen every time I tried to run it with that option on.
So the system behaves slower than on single P3 Tualatin. A sad story from that.
But! Definitely interesting and I enjoyed everything somehow.
I will come back to that system when I will try to replace the coolers for Voodoo.

Final config:
MSI 694D pro2 ver2
Intel Pentium III 1000EB 256 Cache, 133 Mhz x2
4x 256 MB PC 133
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64MB AGP 2x
SoundBlaster Live! Value CT 4830
2x Segate Baracuda 160GB 7200rpm RAID0
Floppy 1.44 MB (3.5")
Case and PSU Enermax 405W
2x 80mm on CPUs
1x 120mm Input
1x 120mm Output
Microsoft Windows 2000

Some pictures to decorate a topic a little 😀

Regards.

24872454.jpg
24872453.jpg
24872452.jpg

Reply 26 of 26, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-22, 17:24:

Maybe because games are not build to work on 2 CPU. I tried Quake3 with SMP function on, but the game got frozen every time I tried to run it with that option on.

Try to run Q3 with -nosplash and see if that works.
Fixed the crashing on my BP6 build.