VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-12-02, 14:08:

This build is sweet I'd absolutely watch a video of it.

Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Probably the coolest thing about it (apart from the case) is just being able to play Glide/PowerSGL/OpenGL/DirectX games all on one system with no switching or driver changing necessary. I kinda already said that earlier in the thread, but not exactly like that.

I'm hoping I'll be able to make the video soon. In the event that my monitor takes a really long time for repairs, I could probably use a different (but still very good) monitor instead.

Reply 42 of 47, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-12-03, 08:55:

that's a nice build and a very good looking branded case! great find

Thanks! Yeah, I was really lucky to find it, and for such a low price. Like I mentioned before, I almost didn't get it because I was afraid I might not use it. That turned out to be completely wrong, because I've already used it a ton - so it's good I didn't make the dumb decision and just leave it there.

I'd actually been searching for a Sony Vaio for a while, because I've always thought they had some of the best PC case designs ever. I would've preferred a PIII-based system, but this one isn't bad because it has possibly one of the best designs of even the Vaio line. Also, it's a micro-ATX form factor, which is kind of cool I think. I've found it can be difficult to find older PCs that aren't in terrible shape, and this one is nearly perfect.

Reply 43 of 47, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

never mind watching old PC's on youtube.
the M3d stuff especially, as you say there isn't much on that

Reply 45 of 47, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-03, 11:12:

never mind watching old PC's on youtube.
the M3d stuff especially, as you say there isn't much on that

Huh?

Boohyaka wrote on 2020-12-03, 11:12:

that's a bit of a stretch but kinda reminds me of the Sharp X68000 that is still one of the sexiest retro design ever in my opinion!

What's a bit of a stretch? What I meant to say is that Vaios had some of the best designs for x86-based PCs, not all PCs. Even then, the key word is some. There are plenty of other good looking x86-based systems. I agree that the X68000 is pretty near the top for all PCs; that was something I immediately thought of when I saw this system.

Reply 47 of 47, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-12-03, 11:29:

comparing it to the X68000 was the stretch, it's not that similar. but if you also thought about it, guess maybe that's less of a stretch than I thought 😀

I definitely thought about it. If the store I bought the Vaio from had had an X68000, my brain probably would've exploded.