VOGONS

"Fat Face" Compaq Presario: why?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 71, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compaq was a much better company at designing circuit boards than designing enclosures. It's pretty depressing when all that talent and experience is wasted on ugly bullshit like this. Sadly, many formerly great companies shared this fate (badge engineering).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 61 of 71, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess would be that they just wanted to make it a bit more "interesting" than just a plain rectangular box.

They failed.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 62 of 71, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two things happened in the 90s that caused this to happen. First, almost all electronics manufacturing and design moved to Asia, and second computers became common household appliances. So basically you had dumb normies buying PCs based on what they looked like on the outside, and large gutted computer companies that were all too happy to profit from badge engineering because they had nothing else to offer.

Reply 64 of 71, by Shyzah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Badscrew wrote on 2019-09-30, 12:30:
Hello, everybody. I was able to pick up this computer really cheap as part of a hardware swap: a Compaq Presario model 4716. I […]
Show full quote

Hello, everybody.
I was able to pick up this computer really cheap as part of a hardware swap: a Compaq Presario model 4716.
It's a Pentium MMX 133 (note: need verify the frequency).
It's in fully working condition, all original except the hard drive that was replaced and some RAM was added on top of its integrated 16 MB.

What the hell they were thinking while designing this case: already it's big and awfully heavy (lots of thick steel!) - why did they feel the need to make it even larger with this horrific face plate?!!

48820122183_b950d2bc32_b.jpg

Hey I modded one of these. I have a video coming out on it soon. We've owned it since 1996. In 2017 I decided to make it my daily again. Here are some photos of it from 2017. Looks a bit more complete now, havn't had time for a photo sesh.

40567883965_9be99e28dd_b.jpgCompaq Presario Sleeper 4712 Progress! by Shyzah, on Flickr
28270903219_69bc6f19a7_b.jpgCompaq Presario Sleeper Computer by Shyzah, on Flickr
49703247921_1c36d6c8e4_b.jpg20170701_124020 by Shyzah, on Flickr

Also, If you want to sell it please don't scrap it. I see you're in Europe. I would be willing to buy the plastic shell parts off of yours.

Last edited by Shyzah on 2020-11-20, 20:10. Edited 2 times in total.

What's life without a turbo?

Reply 65 of 71, by Shyzah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2019-11-01, 02:04:

Two things happened in the 90s that caused this to happen. First, almost all electronics manufacturing and design moved to Asia, and second computers became common household appliances. So basically you had dumb normies buying PCs based on what they looked like on the outside, and large gutted computer companies that were all too happy to profit from badge engineering because they had nothing else to offer.

AHH!! I have come here to see everyone frying my favorite 90s PC case design (that's not Apple) alive ;(
RIP: My feelings

Reply 66 of 71, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shyzah wrote on 2020-03-27, 05:14:

[AHH!! I have come here to see everyone frying my favorite 90s PC case design (that's not Apple) alive ;(
RIP: My feelings

Don't worry, beauty is personal taste, sure your taste is terrible, but its yours 😉

Reply 67 of 71, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it's one of those things that's so bad it's good.

Reply 68 of 71, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shyzah wrote:

Also, If you want to sell it please don't scrap it. I see you're in Europe. I would be willing to buy the plastic shell parts off of yours.

Scrap it - oh no, I'll be keeping it forever 😀

Reply 69 of 71, by Shyzah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-03-27, 11:55:

Maybe it's one of those things that's so bad it's good.

Probably. All the other designs Compaq came up with at the time were ducking ugly eye sores (or for you, all of the designs lmao)... and still are today. I have noticed some gamers who want to feel nostalgic for the era while playing 90s games are picking them up for higher prices recently maybe because they're so ugly that it's beginning to define the era. Just how boxy cars with pop up headlights defined 80s sports cars, minus the fact that they were not ugly.