VOGONS

Alaris Cougar Fastest 386

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I figured out the EIDE driver from the adaptec ava-2825VL works with the onboard Adaptec IDE controller on the motherboard. Was able to installl a 30g CF card with that ontrack and install the Adaptec Flexi driver with that.

Reply 22 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I put the ARK VL card I wanted to run some bench marks. Just using that Phils dos benhmarks one. This is using integrated IDE.

IQqeNOy.jpg

DOOM max details. On BL3 almost 20fps.
hMBVhIW.jpg

BMn6IZj.jpg

1.0c versin for faster pcs.
fjDjbO0.jpg

L8hL5AP.jpg

JeuKO4E.jpg

Reply 24 of 26, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put mine up for sale: LINK REMOVED. Cougar II Rev b with Fasmath coproc.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
333.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I loaded up on the adapters when testing it out. Couldn't believe that it knew what day it was after 15 years buried in box filled with computer corpses.

That's one funky CPU. Windows ME said "no thanks" because it was < 150Mhz, but windows 98se installed OK

Could not get mem test to run without errors when the onboard sram cache was enabled. Love the MR Bios though. Makes disabling the L2 it easy.

CPUZ didn't know anything about the CPU though.

Can anyone recommend a good dos or win diagnostic tool that might identify the CPU correctly?

p.s. Love vogons. It's teaching me stuff that I forgot that I even forgot about.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2019-11-14, 20:28. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: eBay sale advertisement not permitted

Reply 25 of 26, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, I have a AMD 386sx40 motherboard too. Made is USA.
Do you think it is Over-clockable ?
SARC chipset.
American Megatrends 1992 bios.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 26, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loved those little boards in the way that I love Yugo automobiles. I don't want one, but I respect the people that have one.

I guess you could try a heat sink and a new crystal in that board if you wanted too. Maybe air brush some flames on the side of the case too.

p.s. Those are some funky simms!