VOGONS

First post, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons, I'm basing this build around the legendary Asus motherboard. Well, a conversion to it anyway! A big thank you to members that blazed this trail for us, including d0pefish and TheMobRules.

Components
Asus VL/I 486SV2G v2.0 - converted to X4
AMD 5x86 133MHz - ADZ variant
64MB RAM - FPM 60ns
1MB L2 cache - 10ns
Cirrus Logic GD5429 VLB videocard
Kouwell KW-559 VLB I/O controller
Creative Labs CT1740 ISA soundcard
SD to IDE adapter
512MB SD card
4X IDE CDROM
3.5" floppy

It all started when I stumbled across a decently priced 486SV2G on eBay. A few days later, it arrived (a bit dirty):

CakbA5Jh.jpg

Measuring to order the correct parts from Digikey for the X4 conversion. Also note I preemptively removed the sticker covering "X4" 😈

HkINZd0h.jpg

Parts arrived from Digikey a few days later and I got to work. Almost done..
6XUhvim.jpg

Finished the mod, but before trying a processor in it, I broke out the multimeter. Glad I did:
rEOYZ7ch.jpg

Turns out the guide I was following neglected to mention the need for JP31 to be closed. You can see it (now closed) just to the left of the newly added VRM.
uZgbT94h.jpg

Flashed the latest beta BIOS to a new EPROM
SsrHznsh.jpg

Came up on the first attempt - yay!
RoOs59oh.jpg

Some pics of the video and sound cards
qEKknNrh.jpg
ggAecPDh.jpg

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-21, 18:19. Edited 14 times in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's going to house this monster of a 486 you ask? An AT case with turbo LED, of course!

Disassembled
u6naBguh.jpg

A few rust spots, but not too bad
qLQMzQ4h.jpg

Sanding
EkJRzx2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Painting
r8z227Eh.jpg

Painting complete
INzODRnh.jpg

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-14, 02:39. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 2 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PSU cleaning and fan replacement. It’s fairly quiet now but I am considering replacing the fan grill with a wire one to further reduce noise.
QuyxRuoh.jpg

BeQuiet!
Tfno8Hnh.jpg

lDet8edh.jpg

Test fitting everything - good to go!
1oHMGImh.jpg

Board is set to 40MHz resulting in 160MHz for the CPU. No delay jumper is set. BIOS settings are a WIP still. Here's where they currently stand:
97LYk51h.jpg

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-14, 00:55. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

Great build! I think you have some awesome skills — I wish I could restore cases like that.

Does your quad speed CD-ROM read CD-R/CD-RW?

Thank you! I'm not sure about CD-R's but I'll check 😀

Reply 6 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So far the biggest issue with this board was that PS/2 mice wouldn't work. I tried a lot of things and eventually fixed it by desoldering the keyboard controller (AMIKEY-2) and replacing it with one from eBay. Whew!

Next up
Repaint the outside of the case in beige
Replace PSU fan grill with one that is less restrictive
Retrobrite font panel
Get the front panel turbo LED to work properly
Put a fan on the CPU heatsink
Connect the floppy drive
Optimize BIOS settings
Benchmark DOOM!

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-20, 21:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Benched DOOM this morning - v1.9s, no sound/music, mouse/kb enabled, biggest view while still making the hud visible. Is this the "standard" way to benchmark DOOM?

J0MuI3Sh.jpg

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-14, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good stuff.

Really like this motherboard.
I noticed that it does better with L1 cache in Write-Back mode for 486 class CPUs.
Also, Speedsys CPU scores seem to be affected slightly by the different VLB VGA adapters.
The one you used pushed it above the average of ~59.5ish common for this board and CPU.
The VLB IDE controller seems the be doing pretty good job too - about 0.3Mb/s better read/write speed compared to ISA IDE adapters.

Just sharing some observations.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 10 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote:
Good stuff. […]
Show full quote

Good stuff.

Really like this motherboard.
I noticed that it does better with L1 cache in Write-Back mode for 486 class CPUs.
Also, Speedsys CPU scores seem to be affected slightly by the different VLB VGA adapters.
The one you used pushed it above the average of ~59.5ish common for this board and CPU.
The VLB IDE controller seems the be doing pretty good job too - about 0.3Mb/s better read/write speed compared to ISA IDE adapters.

Just sharing some observations.

Thanks for sharing pshipkov!

Some updates:

Got the front panel LEDs working
RfKZ4rlh.jpg

Put a fan on the CPU heatsink and connected the floppy drive
z20LisVh.jpg
bXk75tmh.jpg

Reply 11 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ll be very interested to know the brand and colour of paint you find that matches the bezel. I haven’t found any rattle can colour that I was happy with and I tried 3. You might want to rerrobrite the bezel first if you haven’t already.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got distracted with other projects for a while but went back to working on this system last weekend with a mod to the PSU fan grill. Played through Doom E1 afterward and had a blast 😀

The fan is quieter with the less restrictive grill, but not as quiet as I had hoped so in the future I'll change the voltage running to it.

To Do
Lower voltage to PSU fan
Retrobrite font panel

c8xypZfh.jpg

V1PGOTih.jpg

gV0LQ5ph.jpg

HHnLkZBh.jpg

QfgFt7Dh.jpg

Last edited by airs on 2020-05-13, 00:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The brand name or model of the fan "be quiet" is very appropriate. I hate noisy fans and usually add a 1 watt resistor in series to quiet them down.

Reply 14 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-12, 23:40:

The brand name or model of the fan "be quiet" is very appropriate. I hate noisy fans and usually add a 1 watt resistor in series to quiet them down.

Thanks for the tip feiopa, I'll try it out!

Reply 15 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Its a simple voltage divider circuit. To find the resistance value which corresponds to the fan noise you desire, I suggest temporarily connecting a trimmer (variable resistor) using clip cables of some sort. Adjust the trimmer until the desired fan noise is reached. Remove the trimmer and measure the resistance with a DMM. Then find that value of resistor to solder in series. Usually resistors in the 10-60 ohm ranges are used for this, depending on the fan. Sometimes 1/2 W resistors are sufficient if you work out that the power consumed is within the resistor's tolerance. I usually find power to be in the 0.3 - 0.6 W range, so to make things simple, I use 1 W resistors.

Reply 16 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
airs wrote on 2020-05-12, 20:26:
Got distracted with other projects for a while but went back to working on this system last weekend with a mod to the PSU fan gr […]
Show full quote

Got distracted with other projects for a while but went back to working on this system last weekend with a mod to the PSU fan grill. Played through Doom E1 afterward and had a blast 😀

The fan is quieter with the less restrictive grill, but not as quiet as I had hoped so in the future I'll change the voltage running to it.

To Do
Lower voltage to PSU fan
Retrobrite font panel

c8xypZfh.jpg

V1PGOTih.jpg

gV0LQ5ph.jpg

HHnLkZBh.jpg

QfgFt7Dh.jpg

For the sake of your local radio reception, please put a filter can on the PSU input. Socket replacement or chassis mount, your choice.
4158149.jpg
85K8098-40.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-13, 04:32:
For the sake of your local radio reception, please put a filter can on the PSU input. Socket replacement or chassis mount, your […]
Show full quote

For the sake of your local radio reception, please put a filter can on the PSU input. Socket replacement or chassis mount, your choice.
4158149.jpg
85K8098-40.jpg

Can you elaborate? Are you saying by having this computer turned on for two hours every two weeks in my basement I'm making radio reception worse for other people near me?

Reply 18 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
airs wrote on 2020-05-13, 04:42:
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-13, 04:32:
For the sake of your local radio reception, please put a filter can on the PSU input. Socket replacement or chassis mount, your […]
Show full quote

4158149.jpg
85K8098-40.jpg

Can you elaborate? Are you saying by having this computer turned on for two hours every two weeks in my basement I'm making radio reception worse for other people near me?

There's no input filter at all on that PSU, so large amounts of broad band switching noise will be conducted back onto the mains, radiating as it goes. It will certainly make radio reception worse for yourself. Unless you live 100s of ft away from your neighbor, it will make reception worse for them as well.

A filter can is inexpensive, straightforward to install, and efficient at suppressing noise.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 19, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-05-13, 04:47:

There's no input filter at all on that PSU, so large amounts of broad band switching noise will be conducted back onto the mains, radiating as it goes. It will certainly make radio reception worse for yourself. Unless you live 100s of ft away from your neighbor, it will make reception worse for them as well.

A filter can is inexpensive, straightforward to install, and efficient at suppressing noise.

I'm pretty far away from anyone else, and don't listen to radio. I might look into the filter for fun though, and install it when I lower the voltage to the fan. Thanks.