Rank
l33t

r4KeGHam.jpg

HP xw4400 Workstation ATX chassis
HP Compaq 8300 Convertible Mid-Tower motherboard
InWin Powerman 400W 80+ power supply
Arctic F9 PWM rear fan
Intel Core i5 3550 3.3GHz quad core processor
12GB DDR3 12800U RAM (3x4GB, will be upgraded to 16GB)
AMD FirePro V5900 2GB PCIe video card
LG GH24NSB0 24X DVDRW drive
SanDisk X300s 128GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB hard drive
Windows 7 Professional
PS/2 ports
Serial port
2xUSB 2.0 ports rear
2xUSB 2.0 ports front
4xUSB 3.0 ports rear
Audio in/out jacks front/rear
2xDisplayPort
DVI

d0o4Ouam.jpg

Rear... the HP Elite 8300 had the I/O shield integrated into the original case so no shield here. It also took some cutting of the motherboard tray to get the newer motherboard to fit (originally was a 2nd generation Intel Core 2 Duo)

lUew43Nm.jpg

Side panel

qLzuJGJm.jpg

The interior

DsovmHsm.jpg

All sorts of wiring going on here

juYCB1Im.jpg

There's an SSD in there, somewhere.

xsV0tE8m.jpg

This is an ATX adapter required to use these motherboards with traditional ATX power supplies. You must also connect a wire from one of the pins on the white plug to the one of the pins of the CPU fan header to prevent an error on every boot.

JfqrauWm.jpg

Pinout for the power switch + LEDs.

eJQrSC0m.jpg

Audio pinout... the original uses th8e old style audio header. Converted it like so, hope this diagram helps someone else in the future. The USB 2.0 header on the original front panel connector is standard.

x6qZZJxm.jpg

These Arduino male to female connectors are great for extending short USB/power/audio headers or repurposing proprietary plugs. They're really handy and you can see them being used in the above pictures for the audio and power headers.

l6DQ5r0m.jpg

AMD FirePro V5900

HFf388Fm.jpg

BIOS screen

BZshn7lm.jpg

Windows 7 desktop

RTUrue9m.jpg

Specs

OLra7hjm.jpg

There it is!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a Dremel and some scrap steel/aluminum I'd suggest fabricating a simple bracket for the Powersupply. Friend of mine did that with a XW4600 with a dead PSU

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a good looking HP rig, wish I had the patience/skill you have at dealing with all the proprietary crap.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

haha so you hacked a different motherboard into a different case. Although its all HP stuff so your warranty must still be good 😉

I've got a xw6200 which shares the same case. I like it, its kind of thin rather then "fat" like the later ones, although been duel socket I'll keep that as is.

Reply 6 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:

That's a good looking HP rig, wish I had the patience/skill you have at dealing with all the proprietary crap.

Thanks! And yeah, the dual processor 6x00 and 8x00 series are real beasts! The Z**0 line are also really well built but also... proprietary.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have looking at mods to bring up watts from their insufficient 400W that is commonly found in Z2x0 CMT series. (Z220 and Z230 I have).

What I need to do is use a aluminum plate counter sunk drilled so screws to hold ATX PSUs against plate, screw heads sits deeper into the counter sunk bores and threaded holes for the HP Z2x0 chassis. I have tested the "in-theory" fitting and this will work. Have to buy the plates and lay it out and drill, tap and cut opening for ATX PSU.

Second, I can use HP Z420 600W with only one mod installed in either Z220 or Z230 but one pin 16 has to be pulled out and Y-ed to the PWM signal from the motherboard otherwise fan in PSU spins at full speed. I made short adapter to extend out 8 pin 12V to 4 pin plug with 8 wires in pairs spliced very close to the 4 pin plug to cut down on voltage drop, pinout is standard ATX CPU 12V.

While ago, I built a crazy inexpensive computer planned for XP but got dis-railed based on 8300 CMT motherboard, i5-3570 , tower heatsink from HP Elite 800 G1 SFF secured with 6-32 nuts under motherboard's, which is better and lighter, quiet. In a generic ATX case. Ran Windows 10 Pro, activated using the motherboard's. Used my spare parts to complete it and ended up selling that to a coworker at work. Later on I bought few more Z series computers and someone donated a sandy bridge dell i7 computer to me. So now I have what I wanted.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 10, by zzzxtreme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bring up ancient thread. Can this case accept modern atx psu without any mods?

And I was wondering what kind of mod u had to do to make the mobo fit? If I have a small matx board, will it fit? 173x244mm

Reply 10 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zzzxtreme wrote on 2023-02-15, 17:14:

Sorry to bring up ancient thread. Can this case accept modern atx psu without any mods?

And I was wondering what kind of mod u had to do to make the mobo fit? If I have a small matx board, will it fit? 173x244mm

Tower 8300 only is full ATX. None smaller than this fits, the 8300 SFF is nonstandard based on BTX form factor. Next up that does work is microATX type Elitedesk 800 G1 and later but still need cravats applied to adapting it to ATX or micro ATX cases. Again same issues and needs ATX PSU harness cable adapter to use these.

Yes, you need a adapter harness with stand by voltage converter built in for standby 12V that HP 8300 motherboard requires.

Also you need to install shorting jumpers from one of ground, in the USB connectors adapters plug to prevent error which requires you to press F1 to keep going, Use SFF heatsink from 8300 SFF for lightweight and 6-32 nuts as I suggested. Front panel also need the shorting jumper too. Study the oem cables on ebay to adapt yours.

These boards has COA key already activated for windows 7 pro will work for windows Pro 10.

Be aware if you are going to use HP power supply they are 400W max or less and slightly larger and mounting screw holes are different too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.