VOGONS

First post, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I built these two retro PCs a while back (between June and October 2016), but only now I'm willing to show them here. Yes, I know I'm very late doing this, my apologies. I also apologize about the lack of photos and info - there's no incentive for me to do any better.

ICENI

jgngM77l.png

ASUS CUSL2-C Socket 370 motherboard Revision 1.02 (Intel 815EP)
Intel Pentium III 1000EB Coppermine CPU
CoolerMaster Dream II (HAC-L82) CPU Cooler
512mb PC133 SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200 64mb AGP video card
Two 3dfx Voodoo 2 1000 12mb PCI cards (SLI configuration)
VIA VT6212L 5-port USB2 PCI card
Yamaha YMF724F-V PCI sound card
Western Digital WD800JB 80gb IDE hard drive
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
Generic 3.5" floppy drive
Enermax EG301P-VB 300W ATX PSU
Enermax CS-A1QX-02 ATX case
Windows 98 SE

This is my old Understudy project from 2015, taken to completion and given a new name (you can read about it here: The Understudy - ASUS CUSL2-C, P3 800EB & Voodoo 3 AGP).It's main purpose is Win9x vintage gaming and using applications that won't work in any version of Windows NT (like PhotoFinish 3.0). Installing all the hardware, OS and drivers was pretty much straightforward; the motherboard and PSU have been recapped. I chose the name Iceni since this PC is loud, brash, and unapologetic - just the way I like it. And no, this is NOT for DOS games (I already have another PC for that, I'll post a link about it later).

MEPHISTO

I6eQESVl.png

ASUS P3B-F V1.04 Slot 1 motherboard (Intel 440BX)
Pentium III 600MHz Katmai CPU + Slot 1 CPU cooler
1024mb PC-133 SDRAM
Matrox G400 16mb AGP video card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI sound card + Cancun FX MIDI DB
SOund Blaster 16 MCD CT1750 ISA sound card + NEC XR385 MIDI DB
Belkin F5U219 3-Port USB2 PCI card
Seagate Barracuda 40gb ATA IV hard drive
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Generic 3.5" floppy drive
4-port USB2 hub
Startech 300W ATX PSU
Lian-Li PC7-PLUS Black ATX case
Windows 2000 SP4 + DOS 7.1 (dual boot)

This is my "Quick'n'Dirty" Slot 1 build from 2015, fully redone and finished (the previous setup is here: My "Quick'n'Dirty" Slot 1 build). It's new purpose is MIDI/tracker music creation/editing/playback and fiddling with FM Synthesis/chiptunes music (I have no intention in creating FM tunes, just idle curiosity). My choice of Windows 2000 may seem odd to some, but I'm already familiar with the OS and know that the music/media applications I want to use will work just fine; DOS 7.1 is for exploring FM tunes (the SB16 CT1750 has a real Yamaha YMF262 OPL3 chip). I named it Mephisto after "The Mephisto Waltz", a 1971 horror movie (yes, I am trying to make a deal with Beelzebub. Why do you ask?). This PC is NOT built for games. No, I won't use external MIDI modules/synths (I don't have the room for them anyway). And before anyone complains to me about using a 440BX board in this manner, here's my answer: Too Bad, So Sad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it, they're done. And I'm done. I haven't built a PC since then, and will not build any in the foreseeable future. I have no plans for any more vintage PCs (there's no incentive or need). The Computer Industry is heading in a direction that I personally find very distasteful and rather than force myself to follow it, I'm going to turn around, leave it be and walk away. The Video Game Industry has also gone astray; they will get the same treatment. I have no faith or trust left for either one anyway.

I'm also leaving VOGONS for good. The forums have evolved and changed direction, beliefs and ideals since I became a member back in August 2012; there's no place for me anymore, have nothing to gain, and no compelling reason to stay. I even feel very uncomfortable coming here, so I'm giving up now rather than drag myself through any further. I won't give up retrocomputing though, it's one of my few sources of happiness and satisfaction; as of now, I'll continue enjoying my vintage PCs in peace and quiet while everyone else moves on (I'm sure the naysayers and deniers will have a field day after reading this, but I no longer care).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah well, enough of that. It's time to go. The Past beckons, and I must answer the call.

Here are the links to my other two vintage builds, finished in early 2016:

FREEBIRD

XCMptAVl.png

At long last...... the finish line appears

My DOS and early Win95 gaming PC. The ASUS TX97-XE board was recently recapped.

CYGNUS-X1

Ze1Tx7ql.png

Soyo P4I-845PE + Pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood - The Rebuild

My Windows XP/Linux Mint machine. The Soyo P4I-845PE board is still going strong after a recap in 2015.

And that's all I have to say.

So Long everyone, and Thanks for All the Fish. It was fun for a short while at least.

PS: I'll send Qbix a request to delete my account after posting this - it's dead and useless now since I'm never coming back. No, the VOGONS website redesign did not influence my decision to leave. And for those that wanted me to leave, rejoice - you got your wish.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 1 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was the point of this? I do not understand the grand farewells. If you're not interested in participating in the community, just fade quietly into the night and let others have their fun. This is just melodramatic.

Nice builds though.

Reply 3 of 3, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sad to see people leave, but a decision is a decision I guess.

But I love that P3 1000EB build, close to my own.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1