VOGONS

First post, by 486Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I'm looking for info on an Asus VL/I-486SVG0X4 motherboard.

Does anyone know where I could find what it supports
- What CPUs?
(guessing: DX-33, DX2-66, DX4-100?)
- What type and size of RAM?
(guessing: 4MB RAM 30pin or 72pin EDO, while total supported could be upto 16MB?)
- Jumper settings?
(no idea)

If anyone can share any pointers where I could find this info, or if you know already .. would be great.

BTW, I have tried Asus' site for manuals, and general google searches for this motherboard but no luck so far.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you go.

Filename
Asus_486SV2GO_and_486sv2GOX4.zip
File size
227.5 KiB
Downloads
116 downloads
File comment
Asus VL/I-486SV2GOX4 manual & BIOS updates
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As stated, there are similarities between this motherboard model & the VL/I-486SV2GX4 range.

Reply 3 of 8, by 486Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you both.
Though I did find the same manual for the later version of VL/I-486SVG0X4 motherboard, they are somewhat different, ie. SVG0X4 has 4x30pin + 2x72pin ram slots instead of 4x72pin on 486SV2G from what I saw.
I'm also seeing different chip layout on the boards .. so was just worried about using jumper settings from 486SV2G board.

I run a search on this forum and I see that a member has the identical board with a DX50 on it, and mentions that VL/I-486SVG0X4 can cake up to DX4.
Bought these (retro) hardware today

Let me try and message him .. perhaps he has some jumper configurations that he can share : )

Reply 4 of 8, by 486Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I'm too new to sent PMs.

Could someone PM "arncht" on my behalf?
.. if he has any jumper settings written down for his "VL/I-486SVG0X4" board and could share them in this thread?

Thanks in advance

Reply 5 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
486Fun wrote on 2020-01-18, 15:08:
Looks like I'm too new to sent PMs. […]
Show full quote

.. if he has any jumper settings written down for his "VL/I-486SVG0X4" board and could share them in this thread?

Thanks in advance

That board supports all 486 cpus, what cpu do you want to put in?
It supports at least 2 times 16MB 72 pin = 32MB. How much RAM do you want to put in?
Are you collecting information before you are deciding to buy it?

Reply 6 of 8, by 486Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks CoffeeOne .. yes I'm collecting info before buying this motherboard.

I already bough few 486 CPUs .. but I think I would like to make this build with an Intel DX2-66. I'll buy RAM next .. so I'll look for 2x16MB 72pin or 2x8MB simms, and will leave the 4 30pin slots empty.

From what I read, an Intel DX2-66MHz takes 5volts .. and I think that's the max voltage option on the motherboard for the CPU, so I'm guessing I can't fry the CPU or the motherboard if I use wrong jumper settings .. right?

Reply 7 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
486Fun wrote on 2020-01-19, 22:59:

Thanks CoffeeOne .. yes I'm collecting info before buying this motherboard.

I already bough few 486 CPUs .. but I think I would like to make this build with an Intel DX2-66. I'll buy RAM next .. so I'll look for 2x16MB 72pin or 2x8MB simms, and will leave the 4 30pin slots empty.

From what I read, an Intel DX2-66MHz takes 5volts .. and I think that's the max voltage option on the motherboard for the CPU, so I'm guessing I can't fry the CPU or the motherboard if I use wrong jumper settings .. right?

About the RAM: I had that board with 4 72pin slots long ago, it officially supported double sided modules (8MB or 32MB) only in slot 1 and 3. So maximum was 64MB with 4 times 16MB or 2 times 32MB.
So better go with 2 times 16MB single sided, skip the 8MB double sided modules.
But populating the 30 pin slots with 4 times 4MB is an option, too. So for example 16MB with 30 pin and 16MB with 72pin, I guess maximum is 4x4MB 30 pin + 2*16M 72pin in total 48MB.
Also make sure to only use FastPageMode, NO Edo.

For the CPU there will be no problem, the mainboard has voltage autodetection. So for 5V CPUs you don't need to do anything, for 3V CPUs you can fine tune the voltage with jumpers.

Reply 8 of 8, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
486Fun wrote on 2020-01-18, 15:08:
Looks like I'm too new to sent PMs. […]
Show full quote

Thanks in advance

sorry, i was not here since a long time... do you have photo about the mainboard?

in the past (in 95) i also had the 486SVG0, and i tested it with an 5x86 😀 so it depends on mostly:
* the bios (my current version has an older one)
* the vrm

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene