VOGONS

First post, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I'd share my rigs in here.

Rig 1 - Retro 98 and Dos

Motherboard: Repurposed Compaq EP 6350 System (was just the board) - uses Intels 440BX chipset, 2x ISA, 4xPCI, 1x AGP2X. IO has just PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard, 2x Serial, 1x Parallel and 2x USB 1.0
CPU: Pentium II, Deschutes 350mhz at 100mhz FSB - Passively cooled
RAM: single 64MB SDRAM module @ 100
GPU: unbranded Geforce MX440
Sound: Soundblaster Live CT4760 (essentially the platinum/normal card)
Floppy Drive: YES (although the BIOS hates it - need to investigate)
IDE Primary Master: 4.3GB Western Digital Caviar UDMA
IDE Primary Slave: NONE
IDE Secondary Master: DVD-RW drive (I got no CD-rom drives to hand)
IDE Secondary Slave: NONE

Used for: DOS games and windows 98 era DX6/7 games / Direct Draw Games

Rig 2 - Retro XP

Motherboard: Shuttle XPC
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (I havent't looked up exactly what CPU version this is)
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Sound: Asus Xonar DG (running custom Xonar C-Media drivers)
Floppy: NO
IDE: NO
SATA Port 1: LG DVD-RW Drive
SATA Port 2: NONE
SATA Port 3: Seagate 250GB Drive

Used For: DX9 Games and more powerful 2D Games (such as C&C RA2)

To Do:

Find a isa card for sound
return the MX440 to Rig 3 - not built yet and get a Voodoo 3 card
get a 4 port KVM switch.
make a MUNT32 emulator on a Pi to plug into Rig1 for MT-32.

Reply 1 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rig1 looks good, The MX440 is good match for a P2 IMHO
Just needs that isa card you mentioned.

What's Rig2 got for graphics?

Reply 2 of 11, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I forgot to add that, It has aGeforce 9500 GS as it's primary card (only because its 1 slot not two) the PCI slot next to it houses the xonar.

Rig 3 - Not needed really but houses windows 2000

Motherboard: PC-Chips M848a V2.1 (Sis 748)
CPU: Duron Socket A (Appelbred) 1.6Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR1
Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2 OEM DELL Edition - Right Kaffafe this one - you need the later liveware CD and junk the installer, and look for the CT app for driver switching this forces the WDM in and it then operates as it should. Manual install of the apps using their respecting installers in the audio folder then does the trick.
Floppy: YES
IDE: YES
IDE Primary Master: 10GB Quantum Fireball
IDE Secondary Master: LG DVD-ROM/CD-RW
IDE Secondary Slave: NONE
OS: Windows 2000 Professional SP5 (no not a typo, uses USP5)

Rig 4 - Daily Driver

Mac Pro 4,1 2009

Flashed: yes to 5,1 firmware
Flashed: yes DVD-RW firmware flashed to retail LG allows for DVD RAM to be read
Flashed: yes Retail AMD 5870 flashed with Netkas to shoehorn EFI into the VBIOS - allows for bootscreen.
Modded: Power rail to power an innateck USB3 card using the FL1100 chipset
CPU: Intel Xeon W3520 2.66GHZ
GPU: AMD Radeon 5870 HD
RAM: 8GB DDR3
OS: macOS High Sierra (can do Mojave but I need a metal card for that)
Daily Driver: Yes - my internet browser / Google hangouts / office / photo editing
SATA1: Original 640GB HDD
SATA2: WD Blue 500GB
SATA3: WD BLue 250GB
SATA4: WD BLue 250GB
SATA5: Original Apple DVD-RW drive (made by LG)
SATA6: NONE - Power is used from here to operate the USB3 card

Rig 5 - Win Games Machine (Faulty)

Motherboard: Gigabyte x58a-ud3r V2.0
CPU: Core i7-950 3.07GHZ
RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 1600 XMP
GPU: AMD radeon 4890 HD
Sound: Soundblaster X-FI Titanium HD
Floppy: NO
IDE: YES
IDE Primary Master: NONE
SATA1 3G BASIC: Unbranded DVD-RW
SATA2 3G BASIC: Samsung DVD-RW
SATA3 3G Intel X-Raid: WD BLue 250GB
SATA4 3G Intel X-Raid: NONE
SATA5 3G Intel X-Raid: NONE
SATA6 3G Intel X-Raid: NONE
SATA7 3G Intel X-Raid: NONE
SATA8 3G Intel X-Raid: NONE
SATA9 6G Marvell: Corsair Force3 180GB SSD
SATA10 6G Marvell: NONE

This one boots fine but randomly will bluescreen from 10 minutes upto maybe 2/3 hours, with a hardware fault. even stripped to just CPU/RAM/GPU it will bluescreen. Tried other GPU's/HDD's and still does it. So the issue has to be either the CPU, RAM (although memtest says its fine), Motherboard (if another CPU causes it to bluescreen), or the PSU loosing its power delivery over time. its a Zalman 550W so should be fine for this board

Thats my main setups.... laptops later (I have quite a few

Reply 3 of 11, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all.

Sure I vanished. Life changes and such I now have my own place.
This P2 machine still going strong. Now has ATI Rage 128 Ultra instead of the Geforce 4. Now has a dedicated ISA soundcard (OPTi 82C929a based MAD16 card).

For now it's running well.

My goal now is to swap to a proper chassis, and then the final component is the voodoo 2 card. Once that's done it's pretty much there.

Reply 4 of 11, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should also say I have another exact compaq slot one board 100% the same but this one when I rescued it came with a Pentium III 500. so the Geforce 4 is going there.
This computer will be designed to handle the more later games around the 2000 era and will house my SB Live! Platinum card.

P II system = win98 / DOS for mid/late 90's games + dos games
P III system = windows 98 for the early 2000 era games and late 90's games that would benefit from the speed increase of the P III + Geforce 4.
As for my 486DX2 (has intel overdrive in it) I think I'll keep that just for the really slow games like themepark.

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any pics? 😜

And how is Rig 5? You figured out in the mean time what the issue with this system was?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 11, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pictures tonight as I have secured a case that suits it very well.
Thanks to the driver library here I also have my SB Live! put back in as well. Since I have the digital cable, I have the DVD-RW drive hooked up to both soundcards (digitally via the Live and Analogue via the MAD16).

Quite tidy. I notice though that the onboard floppy controller is very very picky.
I have to use a cable without the twist (and without the legacy 5 1/4 connector as well) or it doesn't detect it and gives 'controller error' and then disables the floppy in the BIOS every single time.
Once I swapped to that cable, re-enabled the drive and rebooted, I then saw it do it's boot up seek and the error went away. I assume due to this I can only use 3 1/2. No bother, it runs well enough.

If I really want to be extravagant I could look for a live drive! and also bung a zip drive into the other 3 1/2 bay. the PSU I realised has two sata power connectors, so I can actually use my IDE to sata quite easily. but the HDD runs good enough.

Only things that do not work is the reset button as the board has no header for it and the onboard PC speaker (beeper) appears to be dead. (no header for it its soldered on). I'm not too worried about that as it boots.

The case when I acquired it. Had a Socket A board in there (not tested it yet) and appears to have its original AMD cooler and what I think is a 600mhz Duron (spitfire) in the socket (just at first glance I noticed the die is vertical not horizontal and it's a purple/grey ish cpu, so not mustard yellow or green) it's missing it's ram and CMOS battery as well. Looks clean so I guess it should be fine. Also found a Maxtor HDD inside, have not pulled it so I can't check capacity but from early glances of what I can see and the depth of it, it looks to be probably 80GB (I had one similar back in the day). I have no clue if it even fires up, however I have a spare IDE channel so I may as well jumper it and boot it up see what windows 98/bios thinks of it.

The Compaq BIOS are weird, if its under 6GB the BIOS will report its Heads, Cylinders etc over that and it doesn't but if on later firmware it will still boot it just fine.
I reckon the diak of it does boot probably has either windows 98 or Windows 2000 on it.

Reply 10 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biohazardx9 wrote on 2022-07-06, 07:33:

The case when I acquired it. Had a Socket A board in there (not tested it yet) and appears to have its original AMD cooler and what I think is a 600mhz Duron (spitfire) in the socket

the beginnings of another rig!

Reply 11 of 11, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2022-07-07, 07:12:

the beginnings of another rig!

Could very well be! Socket A was very interesting for sure and I used to own an abit board in the day which was nforce 2. Lovely board it was too.