VOGONS

First post, by Sharon_Apple

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few years ago I bought this machine along with others off of a recycling pallet. I only have the PC, no accessories or monitor. I'm finally getting around to using it for a retro build. As far as I can tell it's original except that the last owner wiped the HD and put WindowsXP on it. I think it's a somewhat unusual machine, and I wanted to document it before I change anything, and I thought others might find it interesting.

The motherboard appears to be by Intel, with 3 DIM slots and a Pentium 2 CPU clocked at 400MHZ. There is an AGP slot, but it isn't populated, instead there are 3 PCI cards that make up the video system. The first is a Toshiba Impact! DVD decoder, the second is a NEC PowerVR 3d accelerator, the third is a Brooktree chipset, which I think is a ATI RageII+ with a TV tuner and VGA out. The Brooktree is connected to the DVD decoder with a ribbon cable, and has an spdif and stereo analog input and a custom output that goes to a rear panel with RCA, svideo, SPDIF, and Dolby DIgital outputs. There's an unremarkable Realtek Ethernet card, and an ISA Ensoniq Vivo90 with custom pin output connectors that also feed into the rear panel.

I'm planning on removing the video cards entirely, and replacing them with a Voodoo 3. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the Ensoniq or replace it with a Soundblaster Live! Either way I will be taking it back to Windows98SE.

Attachments

• Wiring Detail.jpg
    Filename
    Wiring Detail.jpg
    File size
    50.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Case Wiring Details
    File license
    Public domain
  • RageII+.jpg
    Filename
    RageII+.jpg
    File size
    53.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Brooktree Video Rage II+
    File license
    Public domain
  • Power VR.jpg
    Filename
    Power VR.jpg
    File size
    49.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC PowerVR
    File license
    Public domain
  • Ensoniq Vivo 90.jpg
    Filename
    Ensoniq Vivo 90.jpg
    File size
    54.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Ensoniq Vivo 90
    File license
    Public domain
  • Dvd Decoder.jpg
    Filename
    Dvd Decoder.jpg
    File size
    41.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Toshiba Impact!
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by OneAdam12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Any updates on your Gateway Destination? I have the same system, less the giant monitor, otherwise completely original! I'm not planning to change anything on mine because it works great (knock on wood), but am interested in hearing / seeing the changes you are making. Based on some quick web searches, these appear to be quite rare.
Thanks for sharing!

Reply 2 of 2, by Sharon_Apple

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi OneAdam12, to answer your question, I'm removed the 3 video card system and replaced it with a VooDoo3 3000, added an Audigy I sound card, but also kept the Vivo90 for ms-dos. I didn't have the big monitor either, I bought mine off a recycling pallet with some other pcs, no keyboard mouse et cetera. Whoever had it, had tried to upgrade it to XP, so even though I had the hardware, I had none of the software or drivers. I ended up pairing it with an IBM display and keyboard that matches the case plastic color very well. I'm working on getting an SC-88 set up with it, but haven't finished yet. See the included pic, she's sleeping currently. I took a pic, ignore the dust! 😜

I do think they are quite rare, they were too expensive to have sold well, and schools and the like would have scrapped them. If I had one with original software and drivers like yours I wouldn't change it either. If I were you I would try to ghost that hard drive, see if you can find drivers and extract them, because if the drive goes you will not be able to find those drivers/software from Gateway anymore.

Attachments

• modified.jpg
    Filename
    modified.jpg
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain