VOGONS

First post, by Sago7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.
First: The motivation.
I got my first computer on year 2000. I started my studies as en IT engineer i told to my father that i will need a computer. Before that the nearest thing that I got was an Atari 800XL.
I remember him with a lot of affection.

-CPU K6-2 500mhz
-RAM 64MB
-MB Soyo 5EMH
-HDD Quantum Fireball 10GB
- VGA S3 Trio3D Trio3D/2X 8MB (upgraded to a Nvidia TNT 32MB)

He was my partner until i finished my studies. With many adventures, some overclocking @ 550mhz and moding (molex with red leds). I even finished my thesis with that computer and he never failed. And finished Unreal 😁. That PC lived until 2005 approximately as my main computer.
Today, I always receive some old hardware. Then an idea came to me. I want to build the PC that I never had on that days, from 2003~2004 approximately. And my journey began. I wanted a Socket A, an Atlhon XP.

First was the motherboard. I traveled with a friend to another city, more than 100kms just to contact the seller. IT was an MSI K7N2 with an Athlon XP 3000+.
RAM I have from another builds (3GB, 3x1GB), HDD too (WD Caviar 200GB). I have some old AGP cards. So I started to see on the local market (FB Marketplace, Online Site, Mercado Libre, etc). And I founded a NEW EVGA GF6200 512MB.
And a few days ago I finished the main configuration with an Aopen ES50A case. Oh, and I almost forgot. I purchased a SoundBlaster Live 24 bits.

The idea now are the upgrades.
Better VGA: two days ago I got a BFG 7800gs OC 256MB. It needs to be cleaned, after that it will replace the 6200.
Better cooler: Difficult, the market here is so small for old hardware. Almost all the people who has old hardware doesn't even know what they have.
Maybe a better PSU. Actual PSU is from a "generic brand" and I don't fell confidence about it.

Any other ideas, suggestions?.

Now, pictures!

Spoiler

PKCCkBn.jpg

3D1zljS.jpg

abjnIhS.jpg

N7avbdU.jpg

QMoXJz9.jpg

Reply 2 of 9, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take care with the power supply! Athlon XP demands a lot from the 5v RAIL even if your motherboard has the 4 pin auxiliary connector. I would suggest a power supply with a minimum of 25A on the 5V rail. Also if you want to use dual channel you are limited to 2gb of RAM because the total quantity for channel A must be equal to the quantity of channel B. For Windows XP that is of no consequence as 2gb of RAM is more than enough!

Reply 3 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As nd22 already mentionned, AthlonXP likes beefy +5V. That said, new PSUs hardly ever work with them. In 2014 I bought a new budget Zalman PSU only to find out it could not handle the load even though my motherboard (GA-7n400S) has a separate +12V header.

Reply 5 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-17, 10:32:

How come the +5V rail is used to power the CPU on boards with 4pin 12V connector?

That was exactly my line of thought back then.

Reply 6 of 9, by Sago7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melbar wrote on 2020-02-16, 06:06:

Can you clock your 3000+ with this setting in the MS bios? FSB: 200 ; Multiplier: 11

Then you've overclocked only 33,3MHz and you've got an XP3200+

After change it to that settings did not boot anymore. Bleh. I tried another combinations with no success. Today I will try again with other settings.

@nd22
@RacoonRider
1GB removed, now it has a perfect dual channel.

This is the actual PSU. I wan't to change it. Spektra is a generic brand, not so reliable. Any suggestion?(https://www.solotodo.com/power_supplies. I was thinking about an EVGA 400w, but only has 17A on the 5v rail. I think I have somewhere a Topower 450w or something like that. I will search it to see the specs.

uIMwRjwDG.jpg

Reply 7 of 9, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see this motherboard has a 12V CPU connector, so modern PSUs should work just fine and won't need strong 5V

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 8 of 9, by Sago7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Munx wrote on Yesterday, 14:12:

I can see this motherboard has a 12V CPU connector, so modern PSUs should work just fine and won't need strong 5V

So there's no need to 25A on 5V rail?. I'm a little confused about that.
I replaced the GF6200 with the BFG 7800GS OC 250MB, it requieres external power so it uses one molex from the PSU.

Reply 9 of 9, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sago7 wrote on Yesterday, 14:28:
Munx wrote on Yesterday, 14:12:

So there's no need to 25A on 5V rail?. I'm a little confused about that.
I replaced the GF6200 with the BFG 7800GS OC 250MB, it requieres external power so it uses one molex from the PSU.

It's a late Athlon xp era motherboard with a 4pin CPU power connector.

I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't use 12V to power the CPU.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4