VOGONS

First post, by JodieC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A year ago I'd messaged a computer recycler, saying hey, I'm on the lookout for old PCs.

He messaged me recently saying he had a computer that was high end back in its day, and sent me some pics.
It looked like an eVGA nforce SLI motherboard and a video card with two PCI-E connectors, so I figured yes, it was a beast for its time.
I didn't know how much to offer, but he he came back and said he'd take $20 . Done!

So this is just the beginning - I have some photos and I plan to get this machine in 2007 era shape.
eVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard
C2Q Q6600
Thermaltake TMG i1
4x1GB Crucial DDR2 1066Mhz
Tuniq case
Silverstone PSU
The video card turned out to be a Gigabyte AMD HD5870, but I get no video output from it. I'm troubleshooting that one. The only extra card I have is an nVidia GT220, so in it went, and the machine booted.

Next steps I'm going to try to get some 7900 GTX (or Quadro FX5500s) and put them in SLI, and try to get a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty for it.
It can SANboot XP, so no need for drives.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by JodieC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board won't boot now, it stops on code 25 (video bios). This was what happened on the HD 5870.
I swapped in two different video cards, no difference.
Swapped in a different PSU (that successfully powered a 4P Opteron 24-core machine moments before) - no boot.

Next up I'll remove the mobo from the case and run everything on a phonebook 😒
I'll probably get a new mobo and proc on the way just in case.