VOGONS

Reply 100 of 102, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tali wrote on 2020-08-30, 14:45:

Truth be told, obtaining all the weird stuff is probably as much fun as putting it all together... and now there are still two rather exotic and expensive pieces in my sights: GUS Max and GF5950.

Ouch indeed, those likely won't come cheap. I recently saw a GUS PnP going for 280€ in my local classifieds and it got sold within 24 hours. I'm amazed that people can drop that kind of money on a sound card, but I suppose someone who used to have it as a kid and has fond memories of it might be willing to do that. Good luck with your search!

BTW, if you're still looking to name that Cyrix build, how about "Crusader"? You mentioned that it will be used for late DOS games, and Crusader No Remorse/Regret immediately come to mind.

Using Audigy drivers with a Sound Blaster Live
Installing DOS drivers on an Audigy2 ZS
OPL3 vs. ESFM vs. CQM vs. SBLive
OPTi 82C930 review

Reply 101 of 102, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, I think I'll pilfer that name right from your post. And it does fit nicely with the rest of the "party". Kind of makes sense that Cyrix went on a crusade against Intel, and Gravis against Creative... too bad it ended as all the other crusades. 😀

Reply 102 of 102, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A new addition to my "retro desk". Not quite a computer, but hey, it comes with a floppy.
fJqDfB1.jpg

Now it does look pristine, and, for the most part, it is quite functional. Yet there are a few things to do to bring it to perfection, and it is bound to take some time. A few switches are finicky, plus the backlight is almost gone.

That said, it sounds phenomenal, which brings more of a rant than a question, really. If all the reviewers consider this unit "a classic, but nowadays cheesy and outdated", I can only wonder why, with modern devices supposedly sounding that much better, all the modern music sounds like poorly processed fertilizer? I mean, this device is freaking quarter of a century old, and it sounds richer than what I hear from most modern pop titles; pop clearly being one of the major users of synthesizers and romplers, they are sure to benefit from all those nice modern workstations, right?

UPDATE: The floppy drive in this unit is dead. It even smells dead. There is also a bit of broken plastic, but nothing that can't be solved with some epoxy and a longer set of screws. Since now replacing the floppy is no longer a "what if", but "absolute must", will see if I can get Gotek to work in its place.