VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

please find here my latest PC recreation from the year 2000 (that I hadn't been able to afford by that time):

Mainboard: Medion 2000 Ver. 2 (MSI MS-6318 OEM), Apollo Pro 133A, mATX
CPU: Pentium III, 1000MHz, FSB 133, Coppermine/EB, cooler with silent NB-Fan
RAM: 512 MB (2x 256MB), D-RAM, PC-133U non-ECC, Samsung, M366S3253ETS-C7A
2D/3D-graphics: 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500, 64MB, AGP
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audio PCI 128, CT5880 (ES1371), onboard
HDD: Maxtor D740X-6L, 20GB IDE
ODD: Pioneer DVD-104SZ, CD/DVD Slot-In Drive IDE
FDD: LS-120, Matsushita LKM-F734-1, IDE (Update see below)
Case: NoName microATX
PSU: ATX 350W, Be quiet! Pure Power, BQT L7-350W

OK, the PSU is non period, but I wouldn't recommend to fire up rare vintage hardware with a cheap firecracker PSU from 2000.

I spent some thoughts about the mobo+CPU combination to use with the 5500 ...
I would have liked to use a tualatin but than it wouldn't be a 2000 build and good tualatin-boards and CPUs are hard to come by / got quite expensive.
But for the Voodoo 5 5500 a coppermine is appropriate - back in 2000 I had mine running with a SuperSocket 7 and a AMD K6-III+/550.
Plus the majority of the newer boards (post 2000) don't have the AGP 2x slot that the 5500 needs to fit in.

All I need now is one of this domed "3Dfx" case badges 😀

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
187.05 KiB
Views
File comment
Parts before assembling
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
214.89 KiB
Views
File comment
Assembled PC
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
90.53 KiB
Views
File comment
Front view
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
118.06 KiB
Views
File comment
Back view
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
Last edited by ildonaldo on 2020-09-30, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok sure a tualatin would be nice but do you really need one in what's a Win9x 3DFX rig?

I like it, despite the V5 its not the best of the best hardware available build that just about everyone (including me) do

Side note I purchased a similar if not same Pioneer slot DVD-ROM back in 99 or 2000. Only ever used it for DVD's which was almost never. That PC is still round my parents so the drive should still be like new!

Reply 2 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The tualatin was just a tempting thought, but as I sad the coppermine is more that appropriate and it's from 2000 as the rest of the machine.

In 2000, I really loved the voodoo 5 and was quite sad when I had to part because the next board I bought wouldn't support AGP 2x any longer 🙁
But anyway, one of my projects is a early (2001) P4 with RDRAM and a Kyro II 4500 but that will have to wait till I finished my next project in some month - a dual Xeon System from 2004 😀

And hey, I choose this slot in drive because it visually corresponds with the built in FDD slot of the case.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 3 of 9, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm doing something similar at the moment...just had a sudden 90s nostalgia hit me, so I've got it set up with Build engine games, so I can party like it's 1999 @_@

Passively cooled 500 mHz P3. I have another tower with a 550 mHz, but the fan is noisy, I can't figure out how to remove the CPU from the slot 1, and I doubt the upgrade would make a huge difference.
Two 128 mb RAM sticks. I probably had more before, but we recently moved, and I can't find them anywhere =(
Voodoo 3 PCI, I love this thing, found it in a box of stuff my dad was planning on throwing out.
Not period-correct, but I also have a GeForce 2 Pro AGP that I'll switch to for some of the more demanding games.
I intend to use Aureal Vortex 2 for audio, but this mobo has an integrated Yamaha DS-1L card, and the MIDI music that this thing pumps out is starting to grow on me. I'm not playing anything with 3D or EAX right now, anyway.

It's crazy to think that PCs had DVD drives way back in 1999. If I can ever get these files sorted out, I'll probably end up burning a bunch of GoG/Steam stuff to discs, since I have so many DVD-Rs I never use, and such a huge library.

Reply 4 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am also piling up old games but I've got mostly the original CDs/DVDs that I've bought back then.
And yes, it's quite challenging to set up these old machines properly, plus they were noisy like hell 😉

Reply 5 of 9, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, I have tons of CDs and floppies too, but there's also plenty of games I missed out on back then, or borrowed from friends...and plenty of dirt-cheap sales on digital copies =)

My current setup isn't very noisy at all. If I could figure out how to disassemble the 550, I'm sure the fan just needs some oil.

Reply 6 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-03-18, 15:06:

... noisy like hell 😉

... at least compared to my nearly noisless nowaday desktop.
The fans of the Voodoo 5500 are technically fine, but what can you expect from these 40mm noismakers.

Reply 7 of 9, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great built ! +++ year 2000 +++

Back in the day, i've upgraded from V3-2000 to Geforce 256 DDR. Running with a Celeron mendocino on BX440 platform. A Pioneer slot-in DVD drive was installed but i don't remember the model number.
Sadly i don't have it anymore.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 8 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, sadly I have to rebuy now the hardware I once owned ... Matrox M3D, Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 3/2000, Voodoo 5 and so on.
I gave it all away once, cheap but there is no sense in moping around - once abandoned, now a collectors item - that's the way it goes.
But luckly you can (still) make a bargaine now and then and so you come out even 😀

I have some real good machines now in my little collection that I surely wouldn't been able to afford by that time.
And I keep on gaming some of the old games (with great joy) that won't run on any emulators 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just upgraded the FDD with a LS-120, Matsushita LKM-F734-1, IDE
Now, the HW is completely as I whished for 😉

LS-120.jpg
Filename
LS-120.jpg
File size
65.6 KiB
Views
File comment
LS-120, Matsushita LKM-F734-1
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Oh, almost forgot the 3Dfx case badge for the Bling ...

05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
48 KiB
Views
File comment
3Dfx case badge added
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later